Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Add Exchange account to Mail

Add Exchange account to Mail
arnoz
Jul 5, 2008, 05:14 AM

Hey,

I would like to set up my work Exchange account in Mail but it doesn't seem to work. I have the address for Outlook Web Access Server but I don't know what incoming and outgoing servers to use. And what about the port? All I know is that everything is configured as default on the server and it is a secure one. I tried a few things in Mail but either it crashes or it just can't connect.

PS: Our IT guy is on holidays so I cannot ask him help right now... However I need to acces my mailbox ASAP
PPS: I don't want to use Entourage.

Thanks for your help!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2008, 01:21 PM

Mail doesn't support Exchange without extra options running on the Exchange server. Wait for Snow Leopard (about a year away) and cough up the cash for Exchange compatibility.

arnoz  (op)
Jul 5, 2008, 01:27 PM

But wait, I read the Mail help and it says that if I have the Outlook Web Access IP and if IMAP is activated in Exchange (I know it is) it would work.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2008, 01:33 PM

It will work with Mail if your server is properly configured. You'll need to find out from your IT dept. how to set it up if you even can. In the meantime, just use OWA in a browser since you have that info already.
Vandelay Industries

arnoz  (op)
Jul 5, 2008, 02:05 PM

Do you know what needs to be configured on the server? Because the IT dpt knows nothing about Macs so they won't be able to help me. The thing is I only do home office but I receive a lot of emails each day. OWA is a good thing but on FIrefox or Safari I can only access the "light" version which lacks features. And receiving my emails in Mail would be much easier rather than logging on the web each time.
Thanks for your help though!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2008, 02:19 PM

You need to find out what IMAP server to point Mail at. Without that, there is nothing you can do. A good test to test whether the server you believe to be the IMAP server is listening on the proper ports is to try telnetting to these ports (143 for unencrypted IMAP, 993 for encrypted IMAP).

Guys, those "extra options" are simply IMAP and OWA just like the original poster said, it isn't magic.

arnoz  (op)
Jul 5, 2008, 05:05 PM

Mmh, telnetting... You're just speaking chinese to me ;-) However I understand what IMAP is and I know it is necessary for Mail to work with Exchange. I tried a bunch of different configurations but still can't make it to work.
Two things I don't know how to configure:
1) The "IMAP path prefix", if any.
2) Our OWA server is located at IP/owa. It seems that the other OWA servers I saw in examples are usually subdomains but not /xyz. Could it be the problem?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by arnoz View Post
All I know is that everything is configured as default on the server and it is a secure one.
Originally Posted by arnoz View Post
But wait, I read the Mail help and it says that if I have the Outlook Web Access IP and if IMAP is activated in Exchange (I know it is) it would work.
Since when does the default Exchange configuration include IMAP support?

It's been a while since I was on the admin side of Exchange.

Cold Warrior
Jul 5, 2008, 05:33 PM

I've never seen it on by default.

arnoz  (op)
Jul 5, 2008, 05:49 PM

I know it is ON on our side. What I meant by "default" is that the port or things like that haven't been changed. I don't know how Exchange works so I'm sorry if I made mistake but I tried to understand the way it works by reading articles and I would like to set up an account in Mail.app and I followed carefully the steps in Mail.app's help menu. There was a note that said that IMAP needed to be activated and it is, that's the only thing I know (apart from the OWA url) even though the IT guy isn't here at the moment.

EDIT: Is this (in bold) important,
Specify the account type, such as POP, IMAP, or Exchange. If you set up an Exchange account, you can specify the name of an Outlook Web Access Server so that Mail filters non-email related content from the server. Mail appends /exchange/username when it sets up your account.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 02:49 AM

Just make sure your IT department knows that IMAP is not MAPI.

arnoz  (op)
Jul 17, 2008, 04:46 PM

Indeed, it was MAPI. But the IT guy managed to set up a POP account in Mail that fetches my mail and it worked at the office. However it doesn't work home.
The POP server is an external IP (213.)
I don't know what kind of authentication I have to choose (the web OWA is on a secure server).
Do I have to change the Workgroup or WINS IN System Prefs?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2008, 10:10 PM

No, you actually probably have to have some IP or DNS verification going on. Do you have a VPN to allow you to log in to the work network.

arnoz  (op)
Jul 19, 2008, 06:35 AM

I don't think I have. But what if I download a VPN? What should I set as IP etc?

arnoz  (op)
Aug 3, 2008, 09:25 AM

OK so here are the specs of Exchange server and what I have configured in my POP account in Mail. Do I also need to change something in System Preferences>Network (workgroup, ...)?
Do you see something that's not good in my Mail preferences? Do I use "password authentification" or "APOP"?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2008, 10:15 AM

If you can, I advice you to get your IT person to enable IMAP and not POP.

Your IT staff needs to do a few things:
1. Make sure IMAP is turned on in Exchange System Manager
2. Since they're using OWA, I am going to assume that they have an SSL certificate on their Exchange server
3. Enable this certificate on IMAP in Exchange System Manager
4. Make sure that IMAP's SSL Port (993) is open on their firewall and pointed at their Exchange server

Once that is all said and done, you should be able to be outside the company -- on your Mac -- open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type in " telnet webmail.companyname.com 993 " and be greeted with your company's Exchange server.
If that is successful you now have IMAP access to the server.
You should be able to do the same telnet command but 25 instead of 993 and get the Exchange server again.
If both 25 and 993 work then you have access to SMTP (Port 25, for sending email) and IMAP SSL (secure IMAP, port 993, for receiving mail).

Then inside Mail.app you can create an Exchange account (or IMAP account) and enter in the webmail.companyname.com as the incoming and outgoing servername and your username might require your domain\username. Domain being your IT's Windows' domain name which they can give you. You might not need that and just your username will work.

arnoz  (op)
Aug 3, 2008, 11:13 AM

Thanks for your help but they can't/won't change anything concerning the configuration of Exchange. POP is activated and worked at the office, port 443 is the only port open. I can telnet webmail.company.com 443 and the result is positive. So I don't understand why I doesn't work when I'm not on the domain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules