Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AirPort Express: help for NAT and WDS

AirPort Express: help for NAT and WDS
arnoz
Sep 23, 2008, 04:50 AM

Hi,

I have a SpeedTouch 510 router connected to an AirPort Express (.g). I've been using this configuration for a long time but I always got problems with iChat video, Back To My Mac and other specific network features. So I decided to use my router as a DSL modem only and let the AEX do all the rest. DHCP is deactivated on the ST510, the AEX is connected via Ethernet to it and I set a static IP. Now, I would like to do two things:
- activate NAT so iChat etc works
- activate WDS so my other AEX (same model) can stream music downstairs.
I don't know why but neither of those features work although I read a lot of threads, support articles, ...

You can see above that BTMM doesn't work but I have NAT activated though. Do I need to check default host?
And how do I use Transmission (BitTorrent) with the AEX? I always get a red dot now, meaning the port it uses (48130) isn't open. However, in "configure port mappings" I added 48130 to my computer's LAN ip (10.0.0.3).

WDS doesn't work on the remote AEX. It just doesn't connect to the network. I activated WDS on both, on the main I configured it as above and on the remote I configured the main's MAC address. The only way I can stream music to the remote AEX is by plugging an Ethernet cable from my computer. Not really useful

Thanks for your help!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2008, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by arnoz View Post
You can see above that BTMM doesn't work but I have NAT activated though. Do I need to check default host?
I'm not quite sure why your NAT setup isn't working, but I can already tell you that you do not need the check the default host. What that does is create a DMZ (so basically all external calls to non-routed ports get routed to a certain local client) which could open up a security issues and you don't seem to need.

Are you sure your router is set to bridge the connection properly? You want to make sure it is being as 'dumb' as it can so you can use your Express to do the actual routing between the WAN and your LAN. Are you sure you're not having double NAT issues? Check your console for warnings about double NAT to make sure.

arnoz  (op)
Sep 23, 2008, 05:14 AM

There seems to be error related to NAT. I looked for "nat" in the Console and here a a few messages that appear like 50 times since yesterday
Code:
23/09/08 10:41:03 mDNSResponder[16] daemon Error Failed to obtain NAT port mapping 0081525C from router 10.0.0.1 external address 0.0.0.0 internal port 16402 error 0 22/09/08 21:48:29 mDNSResponder[16] daemon Error Legacy NAT Traversal - unmap request failed with error -65549 22/09/08 15:22:19 mDNSResponder[16] daemon Error Double NAT (external NAT gateway address 192.168.1.1 is also a private RFC 1918 address) 22/09/08 15:33:06 mDNSResponder[16] daemon Error NAT gateway 10.0.0.1 rebooted
I'm not sure I did what I needed on the SpeedTouch... I resetted it then used the config wizard to set it as a bridge. But in that case it won't connect to the Internet. So I resetted it again and set it as a router but disabled DHCP.
Here's what it looks like:

Thank you for your help.

arnoz  (op)
Sep 23, 2008, 12:43 PM

I managed to resolve the NAT problem the hard way:
the Speed Touch can be accessed via FTP so I downloaded its config file (user.ini) and deleted the part concerning NAT ([nat.ini]). I then uploaded the file, restarted the modem and it works! I found this answer while Googling, don't really remember where though.
One question concerning NAT though Airport Express though: applications like Transmission, Back To My Mac do everything, right? I don't have to set any NAT rules like in my router?

Now I still have the issue with WDS...

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2008, 01:50 AM

If you are NATing at the APX, you don't need (nor want!) your router to NAT as well.

Not sure what's causing your WDS problem though...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 04:00 AM

Yes, Transmission uses NAT-PMP to open up the ports it needs. You will be able to verify that in the app itself (it should show you a green light). Other Apple apps like Back to my Mac or iChat do the same.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2008, 05:04 AM

When setting up modems and routers, go step by step and from easier to harder until you figure out the cause of the problem you're experiencing. First make sure only one device is providing NAT. Work on the more complicated WDS after you get the single AEBS working properly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

arnoz  (op)
Sep 24, 2008, 12:22 PM

As I said, the NAT problem is now solved. I used the "hack" quoted above as there isn't any option to deactivate NAT from the modem. It now works with Transmission, I can see the green dot. BTMM still says there is a double NAT though, but I have to test it from another domain because I think it will work as Transmission does.
Concerning WDS, I "wiped" the remote AEX, re-configured everything but the two just won't connect to each other

Forum Links
Forum Rules