Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Use iMac as TV screen/receiver

Use iMac as TV screen/receiver
arnoz
Jan 30, 2010, 05:55 PM

Hi,

I'm hesitating between bying a new iMac or a new TV (for a renovated house). iMac seems a much better choice of course especially since I don't watch TV that much but play a lot of DVDs.
However I need to be able to sometime watch TV, it's offered via a this kind of cable:

How could I plug this cable in the iMac? What do I need to buy, which software etc?

Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 10:31 PM

El Gato and Miglia both have several TV tuners for Macs. Doesn't work with encrypted digital cable, but you can do analog.

arnoz  (op)
Jan 31, 2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks i'll try that.
  • Does it work in all countries?
  • Easy to use (i.e. my mom needs to be able to use it, she just learned how to send text messages )
  • If anyone uses one of these could you give me a little feedback?

Thanks!

joe
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2010, 01:03 AM

Check out El Gato's web site. I have the US version of the EyeTV 250 plus. It receives analog cable and free digital cable (clear qam). The latter supports digital channels at standard and HD resolutions provided they are not encrypted. It also receives over-the-air digital stations but I use it for cable only.

El Gato's software is easy to use. It auto-tunes both digital and analog stations. It uses TV Guide service (1yr free), tvtv, or xml listings. You can edit out commercials if you want. Or instead use free 3rd party plug-ins that auto mark and auto-skip commercials (VERY nice). There is also an iPhone app and remote scheduling app. I haven't tried those yet. I've owned my EyeTV250 plus for nearly a year now and recommend it very highly. OTOH, there are more tuner options for European Mac owners such as the EyeTVSat. I wish we could get something like that in the US but no such luck. I'd prefer a digital cable version instead of Satellite but either would be appreciated.

arnoz  (op)
Feb 2, 2010, 05:43 AM

Thanks! I think I'll buy the hybrid model.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2010, 10:49 AM

FYI, the hybrid is mono-only when recording analog, whereas the 250 records stereo audio.

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2010, 01:23 PM

im using the elgato hybrid and it works perfectly ! managed to hook up my wii set to my 27" imac too !

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2010, 10:19 PM

I also have the elgato.
The only real negative I have is that you cannot get the encrypted channels, or whatever they call it.
I am in the US.
I pay for a ton of extra channels, but cannot see them without another expensive cable box
More of a cable issue that a product issue.
Other than that, the unit is great and does what it says.
I will try it soon with my new imac when it gets here
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules