Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Original MacPro1,1 - any more I can do?

Original MacPro1,1 - any more I can do?
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 09:56 AM

Arriving today is the Apple ATI 5770; an upgrade from the stock Nvidia card.

I already performed the CPU upgrade; from the stock 2 x dual core 2.66Ghz to 2 x quad core 3.00Ghz.

Also have upped the memory to 16GB (8 x 2GB sticks). I know it can go to 32GB but I'm not getting page outs on a regular basis now.

OS/app disk is a 128GB (115GB usable) SSD.

other drive slots are for data/projects; various sized 7200rpm SATA disks with Time Machine backups to an external 4TB RAID.

Anything else I can do for upgrades/speed? Hope to get another 2+ years out of it

Uses of the machine include ProTools/other Avid stuff; CS5, Final Cut and basic web work.

Thanks!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 11:10 AM

Hardware RAID card and more SSDs is about it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 11:23 AM

thanks; didn't think much more i can do.

SSDs will be on hold until the price/size ratio comes down some more. 400GB SSDs are just too much; and 1TB SATAs for $60 or less will work for now. but the SSDs are on my sights all the time.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 29, 2011, 11:59 AM

How is the external TM RAID connected? If it's not eSATA, an eSATA card would allow TM to complete a lot faster. Except TM works in the background, and with 8 cores, it's not a drag on CPU either.

Perhaps you could upgrade to some games. For the moment, I agree you're topped out on the hardware.

hmm ... peripherals. Upgraded to dual 30" monitors yet? Or a Tactile Pro keyboard?

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 12:49 PM

the external RAID is via gig enet; as it is a shared TM destination for several other machines too. i think for the current setup at the house that's the best setup.

i had dual 24" for awhile; just went back to a singe 27" though...don't have the space really for the setup.

i got the standard wired apple keyboard and mouse...hahaha; pretty boring there

games...sounds good. like what?

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 12:54 PM

the 5770 just showed up; time to install.

as for games though...i like racing and Age of Empires style games (not counting original arcade type games; but i have other sources for that).

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 01:12 PM

5770 installed; nice.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 03:16 PM

Actually having said that about the Apple RAID card, I don't think any current SSDs have supported firmware and since its the older Pro they most probably never will. They may work but I have a feeling there is something else that means its not a great idea to use SSDs on those RAIDs. Many SSDs have internal RAIDs of their own anyway.

Your best bet is to hope that OCZ make drivers for their PCI-E based SSDs. Wouldn't hold your breath though. (They work, but not bootable).
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Actually having said that about the Apple RAID card, I don't think any current SSDs have supported firmware and since its the older Pro they most probably never will. They may work but I have a feeling there is something else that means its not a great idea to use SSDs on those RAIDs. Many SSDs have internal RAIDs of their own anyway.

Your best bet is to hope that OCZ make drivers for their PCI-E based SSDs. Wouldn't hold your breath though. (They work, but not bootable).
i have the 128GB (115 actual size rest is the overhead for data protection) of this as my OS/boot disk:

OWC Mercury Extreme Pro Solid State Drive (SSD) Solutions - High Performance, Reliability, and Endurance

and they have these that are RAID ready...whatever that means:

OWC Mercury Extreme Pro RE Solid State Drive (SSD) RAID Ready - High Performance, Reliability, and Endurance

laieboy
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2011, 09:19 PM

I just picked the same Mac Pro a few days ago and I'm pretty stoked! I wasn't even aware that you could upgrade the processor. What model processor did you upgrade to and where did you purchase it from? I also use my Mac Pro for Pro Tools/Final Cut Pro stuff too.
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by laieboy View Post
I just picked the same Mac Pro a few days ago and I'm pretty stoked! I wasn't even aware that you could upgrade the processor. What model processor did you upgrade to and where did you purchase it from? I also use my Mac Pro for Pro Tools/Final Cut Pro stuff too.
here are some links on the CPU upgrade:

Upgrading a 2006 Apple Mac Pro 1,1 with 2 Xeon X5355 Processors. | Waiting Outside. Photography, geek and gadget reviews

Apple's Mac Pro - Upgrading CPUs, Memory & Running XP - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

The max processor you can put in them are the Xeon X5365; which is what i put in. The guides above where created before those chips were out on the market for sale. Mine were pulls from another upgrade project.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2011, 07:54 PM

How much you pay for those CPUs? Last time I checked, each XEON cost ~$700 which made this hard to justify.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
May 1, 2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
How much you pay for those CPUs? Last time I checked, each XEON cost ~$700 which made this hard to justify.
As stated above; mine were pulls from another upgrade project. Meaning, no cost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules