Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Aapl

Aapl (Page 5)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 09:32 AM

This kind of cleverness this early in the morning deserves to be tazed.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 02:22 PM

I've yet to see a liquid cooled PM G5 that didn't leak a little. My dual-core, dual-proc G5 has one and it leaks a very small amount (the pad is discolored, but it hasn't damaged the case). I should take it in and get the radiator ass'y replaced before my Applecare runs out.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'm in (again) at $108ish.
I sold this batch of stock at $109. Strangely enough, I made a healthy 8% profit on it, because of the exchange rate. In the two weeks since I bought, the CAD$ has dropped like a rock (following oil down). There's something to be said for a crappy Canadian dollar.

AAPL closed up today at just over $110. Good day today, up almost 14%!

Strangely enough, for today that was good, but wasn't actually that great.

MSFT +18.60%
DELL +14.45%
GOOG +14.77%
JAVA +19.58%

Now we wait for the laptop event tomorrow.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 07:38 PM

I saw an entry when we were the 80s and didn't jump in long. AARGH.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 09:35 AM

Opened above $116 today, and it's now at $114ish.

I think I'll sell once it gets over $130. I wonder if it can achieve that by October 21, which is the earnings call. If not, I'm prepared to keep this for up to 4 more months or so.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 02:02 PM

Sell on news.

AAPL dropped to $105+. Now in the $106 range.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2008, 06:01 PM

I can't post the link cuz I'm on my iphone but holy $#|¥! Apple sold 6.89 million iPhones in the last quarter alone.

P.S. I was at the Apple Store today. Soooo crowded, it's annoying. It's like grocery shopping in Chinatown.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2008, 09:25 PM

Opened above $116 today, and it's now at $114ish.

I think I'll sell once it gets over $130. I wonder if it can achieve that by October 21, which is the earnings call. If not, I'm prepared to keep this for up to 4 more months or so.
i guess you are in for the long haul huh? :-)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2008, 10:59 PM

Heh. Now is the time to buy.

I want to sell my other chunk by March but if I can't, I can't. $120 would be fine.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2008, 11:15 PM

I've been holding onto my stock for... 10 years? I don't plan on selling, though I'm kicking myself for not doing it when it was at $180.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 08:31 AM

Heh. Now is the time to buy.

I want to sell my other chunk by March but if I can't, I can't. $120 would be fine.
I'll feel more comfortable when the DOW hits 7000. Until then, I'll just watch. This will get uglier.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2009, 04:26 PM

Nice.

AAPL hit $100 again today. Now in the mid-$99s, but that's still way, way better than the $78.20 it had hit just a few short weeks ago, a gain of more than 25% since then. Glad I held on.

Now onto $110 and $120!

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2009, 05:12 PM

I would have triggered a sell at 100, watched it go back down to 90 and bought again. But its easy to say that when your working with monopoly money.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2009, 08:33 PM

Looks like there is a lot of resistance at $100. I wouldn't anticipate it climbing much past 100 for quite some time barring any major announcements or revelations. I could see it hitting an intraday high of 102-105 at some point, but it'll dip back down as major investors continue profit taking. I think it'll hover between 85-100 until we see some sort of new iPhone announcements or else next quarter's earnings report (assuming they hit their projections).
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2009, 06:54 PM

Anybody still holding on to their stock?

I'm thinking of selling mine...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 07:00 PM

It may be a good idea if you have a gain to sell right now. You could see it go back into the 70s pretty quickly, at which point it probably wouldn't be worth selling. At $87 it has held up pretty well considering the market trend, but that could give rather quickly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2009, 07:31 PM

I'm holding mine. Don't really care how low it dips - I'm in it for the long haul and the company is not in a position for me to think about selling.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Cold Warrior
Mar 2, 2009, 07:51 PM

Bought at $20, held at $200 and will still hold on.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2009, 05:11 AM

The stock is massively undervalued in my opinion: this is the company that stands to inherit the earth after the recession ends (at least, as far as electronics and software goes). Unfortunately I don't think the market really understands it's potential, and I can't see that changing for a while either, so I don't really see much positive movement until more people get a grip on reality.

I might consider loading up while it's going cheap though.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2009, 05:40 AM

The market has more room to fall, and I see AAPL hitting the 60s, if not lower. Personally, I would sell now and buy again at ~65.

Speaking in terms of the general market, all this will turn around in 6-8 months. Not drastically, but a steady turn. It really needs to hit bottom first, but when it does I'll be back in with both feet and a ton of cash. Honestly, it would happen sooner, but the Stimulus bullshit, compounded by lack of authoritative leadership, has investors and companies panicked beyond all reason. Anyway, it's going to take time, but if you're patient you'll make a huge amount of money.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
The stock is massively undervalued in my opinion: this is the company that stands to inherit the earth after the recession ends (at least, as far as electronics and software goes). Unfortunately I don't think the market really understands it's potential, and I can't see that changing for a while either, so I don't really see much positive movement until more people get a grip on reality.

I might consider loading up while it's going cheap though.
Totally agree. The price is going to be below "pre original iPhone announcement" price before we know it. Which is absolutely crazy to say the company has the same value now as it did before the iPhone (and every other advancement since then).
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2009, 10:30 AM

I'm definitely holding. I wanted to sell this month, but I'm prepared to wait longer, until it gets to well over $100.

FWIW, AAPL opened above $90 today.

P.S. The drop in AAPL hasn't hit me as hard as it has hit many others. Why? Cuz the CAD$ dropped significantly too. So, they kinda balanced each other out, as my AAPL stock is held in US$ (obviously), and all my transactions are in CAD$. In fact, I sold a bunch a while back at about the price what I had bought it (less than 1% difference), but made 8% profit because of the exchange rate.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 4, 2009 at 10:37 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Totally agree. The price is going to be below "pre original iPhone announcement" price before we know it. Which is absolutely crazy to say the company has the same value now as it did before the iPhone (and every other advancement since then).
I don't know if the valuation is justified or not, but the market is much lower than it was at that point, so the P/E ratios have contracted. People are far less willing to pay as much for the shares as they were when the market was at higher levels.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2009, 10:52 AM

Everything is a bargain now. If I didn't have a mortgage, I'd be pushing a lot more cash into the market now and over the next few months.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2009, 10:57 AM

So it was a good past week for AAPL, presumably mainly because of the greater market (up > 10%) plus the iPhone 3.0 stuff.

One wonders if AAPL will fall after the media event, or if it will stick with the market. AAPL is currently in the high $97s at the moment, retreating a bit after hitting well over $98.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The market has more room to fall, and I see AAPL hitting the 60s, if not lower. Personally, I would sell now and buy again at ~65.
Sold a bunch at around 104 and a half. It's been close to that $105 barrier today, but hasn't quite breached it yet. That's one-third higher than it was 2 months ago (which was well below $80).

I still have some AAPL left though.

EDIT:

Now well over $105. Lots hope she can hold onto these gains.

EDIT:

Holy frack! Closed today at 107.66, up +6.07 (5.98%). In fact just about everything was up significantly. Great day for the markets in general.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 23, 2009 at 04:06 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 05:52 PM

Sold a bunch at around 104 and a half. It's been close to that $105 barrier today, but hasn't quite breached it yet. That's one-third higher than it was 2 months ago (which was well below $80).

EDIT:

EDIT:

Holy frack! Closed today at 107.66, up +6.07 (5.98%). In fact just about everything was up significantly. Great day for the markets in general.
Still better deals to be had in real estate, if you watch the papers and shop the auctions. Last week I sold a property for $45k that I had purchased for $28.5k just 5 months before. Most of my investment capital has been going into this, and I can only imagine what the returns will be in the next few years. I doubt I'll ever purchase stocks as I did in years past.

Good to see the markets heading up, it should spark higher retail sales across the board.
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 06:03 PM

Well, I'm sorry for mistiming. I hope no one sold based on my recommendation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Still better deals to be had in real estate, if you watch the papers and shop the auctions. Last week I sold a property for $45k that I had purchased for $28.5k just 5 months before. Most of my investment capital has been going into this, and I can only imagine what the returns will be in the next few years. I doubt I'll ever purchase stocks as I did in years past.

Good to see the markets heading up, it should spark higher retail sales across the board.
Yeah, US real estate deals are very good now in some areas. Are you dealing with mainly foreclosures? Not only are moderating price drops stimulating buyers' interest, but the very low interest rates are also helping a lot.

Up here in Canada interest rates are also very low now, but foreclosures are still quite uncommon overall. The foreclosure rate in Canada is 0.33%. That's up from last year's 0.26%, but obviously it's still quite low. I've never actually seen a foreclosure sign in my city. Furthermore, price drops have only been in the 5%+ range, so it's not as if things are exactly cheap. There have been bigger price drops out west, and probably some of those will foreclose, but I'm not going to be buying real estate way out there. I don't have that much extra cash to spare anyway - $30000 would be basically useless at this time for real estate deals around here.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2009, 03:10 PM

EDIT:

EDIT:

Sold the rest today at $108.60. I would have kept it for longer, but I wanted to use the cash for something else. I was hoping for $110-120, but close enough.

I am guessing there will be a trading range from $90 to $120 in the next few months, so I figured >$108 was fine since I wanted the $ sooner rather than later.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2009, 10:46 AM

Sold the rest today at $108.60. I would have kept it for longer, but I wanted to use the cash for something else. I was hoping for $110-120, but close enough.

I am guessing there will be a trading range from $90 to $120 in the next few months, so I figured >$108 was fine since I wanted the $ sooner rather than later.
If you had one more day of patience in you you could've sold for ~$112.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
If you had one more day of patience in you you could've sold for ~$112.
Doh! It's already hit $114.75.

I suspected it was coming soon, but obviously didn't think it was gonna be today. Oh well, all my other stocks are doing well today too. I didn't have much AAPL left anyway, cuz I had sold a bunch at $104ish.

P.S. There were a few people I saw online who bragged they shorted AAPL at about the time when I sold. Ouch!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2009, 02:54 PM

Wowsers. Touched $118 today. That's almost a 9% increase since I sold just a few days ago.

I'd buy back in if it drops below $90, but that number is getting further and further away...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2009, 06:06 PM

Yeah. I sold some at $100 and it's gone up ever since. However, I am ahead and want it to continue to go up so I can sell the rest and buy a new TV.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2009, 08:32 PM

Sold some at $170. I'm guessing a drop AFTER Snow Leopard launches and Apple's September event.

Plus, it's time to reap some profits. Sure I can hold onto it, but I need some economic stimulus.

Sealobo
Mar 24, 2010, 11:29 AM

Hitting $230 intraday today... thread deserves a bump.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2010, 01:04 PM

Glad I bought mine back in the 90's.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Glad I bought mine back in the 90's.
Now now, no need to gloat.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2010, 03:46 PM

I made my money from AAPL. Now my Ford stock is rising.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2010, 04:35 PM

Two record closings in a row. Still can't bring myself to sell.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I made my money from AAPL. Now my Ford stock is rising.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Except my money is currently in mutual funds.

Sealobo
Mar 29, 2010, 06:11 PM

aftermarket action is going nuts. shares now trading at $238.3

what gives?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2010, 06:44 PM

Looks like Verizon iPhone speculation.

Sealobo
Mar 29, 2010, 06:51 PM

overtaking Walmart's market cap... again. yay!

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 04:55 PM

Earnings just came out, watch it fly!

I've never seen a single day jump like this. I remember 10% swings back when the iPhone first dropped, but not this sort of dollar amount per share. Wild!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2010, 04:56 PM

They're going down...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
They're going down...
? Up $17, and over $260.

P.S. AAPL is well over double what I sold it for. Actually, it's double what I intended on selling it for $130, but I ended up selling it earlier (April 2009) because I needed to use the cash for my taxes.

I didn't think it would hit $200 again for several years.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2010, 05:00 PM

Wow. Over $260 in after hours trading. Some targets are over $300 now.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2010, 05:01 PM

? Up $17.

P.S. AAPL is well over double what I sold it for.
Ah, after hours. However, it is now dropping back down a bit.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Wow. Over $260 in after hours trading. Some targets are over $300 now.
I could see it reaching $300 around next quarter's earnings call, assuming the new iPhone does in fact come out this summer (and sells the way we all know it will) and we see continued success and development from the iPad (500k iPads so far is great, IMO). Throw in a Verizon annoucement and its almost a certainty.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules