Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Visual Voicemail Weirdness-Greeting Gone, Not Getting Messages

Visual Voicemail Weirdness-Greeting Gone, Not Getting Messages
ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2009, 03:15 PM

I DID have it set up, and it worked fine through September. Yesterday my wife needed to call me and she left a message, but there is nothing there. And when I tried to check how voicemail was setup, it showed "default" as the greeting without anything that would play when I tapped "play." Using the "hold 1" access for my voicemail, I get messages from early September (and I'm not going to listen to scores of messages to see exactly how far into the month they go).

Does anyone have an idea what's happened and how I might get this very important feature to work again?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 28, 2009, 08:19 PM

Here's more info. I do have voicemail being captured by AT&T, it just does not show up as visual voicemail, so I don't know there's any to listen to. I can listen to messages via holding '1' and getting the old fashioned AT&T voicemail access, but it's not the feature I'm paying for.

There's no "set up visual voicemail" prompt, so the phone thinks it's set up.

Any ideas?

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 28, 2009, 09:45 PM

I got it fixed. It seems that my messing around with the BenM tethering hack had caught up with me. That profile entry overrode the data access settings needed for VVM, preventing the phone from connecting to the system.

On this page from appAdvice (calling themselves "appnn" but no relation to us, I think), the author provides an explanation of how things got hosed up, and the hows (and FILE!) for how to fix it. It took just a few minutes, and I was back in business.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2009, 10:04 PM

You didn’t do the weird tethering .IPCC file hack sometime before the most recent firmware update, did you? That killed my visual voicemail after 3.1.2.

If you did, there’s a button somewhere in Settings where you can delete a profile. Though I forget if it’s in “Phone” or “About”. It seems that after I’ve deleted it my iPhone’s back to the default profile, so the button’s gone.

Another thing I’ve seen on the web—which didn’t work for me, but you might not have the same issue—is Settings→General→Reset→Reset Network Settings. Good luck!

Edit: Ha ha. Between when I loaded the page and hit Post, you got it fixed. Did you get tethering working again?
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Oct 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Ha ha. Between when I loaded the page and hit Post, you got it fixed. Did you get tethering working again?)

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 28, 2009, 11:32 PM

That's what I did. Before 3.1 came out a friend pointed me to the BenM site and I played around with tethering under 3.0 then forgot about it. Then came 3.1 and other stuff and I never even thought about the hack-I thought 3.1 had killed it.

I tried "Reset Network Settings" but all that did for me was wipe my WiFi passwords. I deleted the BenM profile then applied the fix on the page I linked, and tried again. I could finally save a VVM greeting, and voilá! Old voicemails that I'd intentionally left in place when I used the manual retrieval method showed up immediately, as did test messages I recorded. I haven't tried tethering yet; I want to make sure I'm getting all my VVMs before I mess with it again, but I think that tethering is a very secondary thing for me anyway. I may play with it, I may not...at least I'll get frantic calls from my wife when I should, which is the really important thing for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules