Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tragic luge run

Tragic luge run (Page 2)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 12:42 PM

What's sad is that 20 years from now, all that will be remembered of the 2010 Winter Olympics is this incident.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 01:01 PM

I sincerely doubt that.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 03:10 PM

Well there had better be several unbelievable sports moments that take place between now and the end, because that's all that anyone has talked about so far. Coming in at a very distant second is the fur-skater controversy.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 03:17 PM

I don't necessarily think that anything else is going to be more compelling. But I sure as hell don't remember anything about the Salt Lake City games, and I don't think anyone will remember this in 4 years either, until NBC reminds us just before the 2014 luge events.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 06:53 PM

I think this:
Olympic Opening Draws 33 Million U.S. Viewers can be attributed in large part to the luge death

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
But I sure as hell don't remember anything about the Salt Lake City games
Sasha Cohen making the President talk to her mom at the opening ceremonies on her cell phone. I like her. She's bendy.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 15, 2010, 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=Captain Obvious;3938260I like her. She's bendy.[/QUOTE]

Awesome.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What's sad is that 20 years from now, all that will be remembered of the 2010 Winter Olympics is this incident.
Yep, pretty that, 20 years from now, nobody will remember *anything* from the 2010 Winter Olympics. What do you remember from the 1988 Winter Olympics (that wasn't turned into a movie and played on TV during the last few weeks)?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
I think it's been well documented that this isn't your standard run-of-the-mill track. After all, the lugers themselves named the 16th turn "50-50" before the tragedy even occurred. Such a nickname doesn't lead me to believe that it was just one luger having problems with the track...

The day before the Georgian died, Sweeney had a near identical crash on the 16th curve. "It was almost the exact same crash," said (US Coach Ron) Rossi, "but she didn't go so high."

Sweeney says she has tried to wipe away the incident but conceded: "There's something missing up here, I'm not going to lie to you."

Her boss says it is a failure to read the gravest warning signs. "They knew they had problems from day one. They had people hitting the wall and going airborne. If you were already concerned about it and you already raised the wall, why didn't you keep going? And why didn't you protect the [metal] posts at the chance that maybe something could happen?

Vancouver's quick descent from high ground - Olympics, Sport - The Independent
That's the women. The men now start from the women's line and all I've seen from their interviews has been that "the entire first half of the track is now boring."

Again: it's a sport where you can go 140+ km/h down a track. There are certain alpine ski courses that are also known for being "more dangerous" and/or "more difficult" than others; it's pretty hard to eliminate all the risk from this type of situation. I suspect there'll be a conclusion that the side should've had a slightly higher barrier...?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Yep, pretty that, 20 years from now, nobody will remember *anything* from the 2010 Winter Olympics. What do you remember from the 1988 Winter Olympics (that wasn't turned into a movie and played on TV during the last few weeks)?
Not too much. I was 5-years-old.

Forum Links
Forum Rules