Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CDR or RW on a DVD-RAM?

CDR or RW on a DVD-RAM?
fnevitt
Jun 21, 2000, 02:19 AM

I am in the market for a new powermac and I would like to get one with a DVD-RAM drive so I can back-up my HD fast and easy. I wanted to know is a DVD-RAM only compatable with DVD-RAM disks when buring? I have DSL and I want to make audio CDs from MP3s. Can I do this with the DVD-RAM Drive and will the disks play on my stereo CD player? I am so new to this buring thing, its sad!
Thanks all!!

dabradda
Jun 21, 2000, 02:27 AM

no, dvd-ram drives can ONLY record onto dvd-ram discs.

dabradda

fnevitt  (op)
Jun 21, 2000, 10:46 AM

Can anybody recommend a CDRW drive that works with a Power Mac G4, and that can make Audio CDs that will play in my Stereo?

[This message has been edited by fnevitt (edited 06-21-2000).]

dabradda
Jun 23, 2000, 04:21 PM

look for any cdrw that uses firewire. usb is way too slow for making cds. search around in these forums, and you can see different peoples opinions on which drive they reccommend.

dabradda

OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2000, 08:11 PM

I'm not 100% positive about this, but I believe I saw last week something about a new Hitachi DVD-RAM drive that could also write CDR & CD-RW. As I recall it was advertised as PC-only, but perhaps there are/will be Mac drivers available.

Avon
Senior User
Jun 23, 2000, 09:46 PM

I ran into the same problem when I bought my G4. The DVD RAM apple uses can only write DVDs. I looked around for a DVD RAM that can also write CDs and I could not find one for under 700$. Instead I kept my Yamaha SCSI wrtier and ordered my G4 with a scsi card.

I would buy a SCSI CD-RW (the Yamaha 8424 is my favorite $350) and order the optional scsi card $50 (this is one great scsi car)

so the dvd ram from apple cost an extra 300 bucks, total = 700 bucks and now you have a scsi card and another cdr, this makes it much easier to copy cds, you dont have to make an image on the HD...

dabradda
Jun 24, 2000, 03:40 PM

OmniX - it is a toshiba, and it reads dvds, and is also a cd-rw. it is not a dvd-ram.

i agree with Avon, get a yamaha. that's what my burner is, and i couldnt be happier with it.

dabradda

Forum Links
Forum Rules