Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > What did I just do? (XCode)

What did I just do? (XCode)
DayLateDon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 08:20 AM

Hello ...

"All of a sudden" my build-and-go program won't launch independently in XCode (1.5).

That is, the program runs, and its main window pops up, but its icon doesn't appear in the Dock, its menu bar doesn't get installed, and the window doesn't automatically come to the front (nor will it come forth if the title bar is clicked ... only if the window content area is clicked); the window responds to button clicks, but keystrokes (including command-key sequences) fall through to the window beneath it. The app is set to quit when its main window closes, but it doesn't; the only way to kill it is via the "Terminate" command in XCode.

If I try to launch the built app from the Finder, I get an error reporting that the file is "damaged or incomplete".

The problem occurred soon after I made some seemingly-innocuous changes in InfoPList.strings and/or Info.plist and some referenced (text) files. Restoring the previous plist values and re-editing the files didn't resolve the issue. (Maybe I missed something.)

I've cleaned the target (multiple times) and rebuilt to no avail.

Help?

DayLateDon

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2005, 04:40 PM

Have you tried restarting since the problem cropped up? Panther caches the Info.plist pretty aggressively, and I've heard of cases where changes weren't recognized.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

DayLateDon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 05:06 PM

Hello ...

Yup. I've logged out, restarted, and even repaired permissions.

__^^__
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2005, 09:25 PM

It might be quicker to create a new project and import your source code.

DayLateDon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 09:33 PM

Hello ...

As a matter of fact, I just completed the transfer to a new project. Things are working just fine now.

It would be nice to have a clearer idea of what happened so that I can avoid the problem in the future, but perhaps the ultimate lesson is simply to implement finer version control.

Thanks and regards ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules