Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transfer files from PC to PowerBook

Transfer files from PC to PowerBook
zenloof
May 14, 2005, 12:27 AM

I just recieved my 15" PowerBook and I want to get the music from my PC to the new PowerBook. I've heard the best way to do it is just to connect them via ethernet. Well... I've done so and I do not know what to do next. I do not see the PowerBook in the network places of my PC or anything.... I probably have to enable some sharing, but I'm pretty much inept at this point.

Any ideas?

ibook_steve
May 14, 2005, 02:37 AM

The easiest and fastest way is if your PC has Firewire. Reboot your Powerbook and hold down the "T" key. You'll get a display that looks like a screen saver with the Firewire symbol flashing around the screen. This is called target disk mode (TDM). You can now simply connect your Powerbook to the PC and it will behave like an external Firewire drive. If you want to stick with Ethernet, you have to enable Windows Sharing in the Sharing preferences in System Preferences. Your PB should show up on the Windows side now. But TDM should be faster and easier to setup.

Steve

kymacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by zenloof
I just recieved my 15" PowerBook and I want to get the music from my PC to the new PowerBook. I've heard the best way to do it is just to connect them via ethernet. Well... I've done so and I do not know what to do next. I do not see the PowerBook in the network places of my PC or anything.... I probably have to enable some sharing, but I'm pretty much inept at this point.

Any ideas?
I transferred my itunes collection from my PC to my powerbook via a wireless wi-fi connection. You don't need to activate file sharing on your powerbook, but you will need to make the PC files you want to copy "shared" files. You should be able to see your PC on your powerbook under "network" in the Finder. Click on your PC in the Finder and then you should be able to "see" the "shared" files. If they are there, then go to itunes on your powerbook and using "add to library" the PC files should be available as an option. Then just a matter of waiting while they are copied. It worked for me w/o a problem.

zenloof  (op)
May 14, 2005, 07:17 AM

I tried that and it seems as though my wireless taps in and out or something. It will start copying the files but about 1 minute into copying it completely stops and the colored spinning wheel shows up. Maybe I did something wrong setting up the network....? Is the wireless the problem or is it something else. It starts transferring then completely stops.

zenloof  (op)
May 14, 2005, 07:34 AM

It looks as though whenever the wireless is under some load it cuts off. Whenever I try to transfer files the connectivity bars go away for about 5-10 seconds then they pop back on, cutting off my file transfer and my connection. After the 10 seconds my internet is back, but my file transfer is not. Ideas?

zenloof  (op)
May 14, 2005, 12:36 PM

bump

chromos
Forum Regular
May 14, 2005, 02:01 PM

bump
What kind of ethernet cable did you use? In the old days, to connect 2 macs directly with an ethernet cable, you had to make sure that it was a "crossover" cable. Current macs now are autodetecting and you can use regular CAT-5 to connect them, but maybe you need one to connect your mac and pc? just guessing here.

zenloof  (op)
May 14, 2005, 07:24 PM

Well I transferred the music while having my PowerBook and my PC connected to the router via ethernet, but I still beg to know why my wireless cuts off when I tried to transfer all my music when I had my PowerBook on wireless.

kymacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 07:31 PM

Well I transferred the music while having my PowerBook and my PC connected to the router via ethernet, but I still beg to know why my wireless cuts off when I tried to transfer all my music when I had my PowerBook on wireless.
I wish I could answer this question for you, but I simply don't know. I run a wireless network in my house using a linksys wireless router with a dell pc running windows xp as the base computer. I can connect with my powerbook anywhere in my house without problem. I have never experienced the cut-off problem you have described, so I'm afraid I can't help you with any solutions. Glad to hear you were able to transfer your files, however.

zenloof  (op)
May 14, 2005, 08:05 PM

Do you have that interference robustuness setting turned on? Do you have any extra strength settings switched on your router by chance?

kymacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 10:38 PM

Do you have that interference robustuness setting turned on?

No

Do you have any extra strength settings switched on your router by chance?
No.

Again, wish I could help.

.tony. .riot.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 10:46 PM

I transferred mine using my iPod.

Dinan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 11:35 PM

not trying to threadjack, but its relevant to transfering files from pc to pb..

how do you transfer mp3s from a pc to a new powerbook so that the playcounts are kept intact?

Dinan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 07:54 PM

bump

Forum Links
Forum Rules