Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Dashboard/JS/CSS: Force "hover" update

Dashboard/JS/CSS: Force "hover" update
DayLateDon
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 09:43 AM

Hello ...

[I mistakenly posted this in the Developer forum. Moderators, please delete that thread.]

I have a widget with a collection of tab buttons with a CSS class "tab-off" and a ":hover" variant. Likewise, there's a "tab-on" class with a ":hover" variant. (Actually, I don't intend to use "tab-on:hover", but it's helping me track the situation at hand.) My javascript properly swaps out the classes across the tab family when any one of them is clicked.

However, sometimes the tabs get "stuck" in hover-mode, probably because the widget resizes for different tab selections and the buttons move out from under the mouse instead of the mouse doing the moving. The issue has two aspects.

(1) When I click Tab A, the mouse is hovering over it, so it displays "tab-on:hover" attributes, even as the window resizes and pulls the button out from under the mouse. The widget thinks the mouse is still hovering over Tab A. (If I subsequently pass the mouse across the button, it will get unstuck and show non-hovering attributes.)

(2) When I then click Tab B, it suffers the same problem as in (1), but also, Tab A displays "tab-off:hover" attributes. The widget thinks the mouse is still hovering over Tab B *and* Tab A. Sometimes even Tab C gets stuck this way. (Again, I can get them unstuck with a pass of the mouse.)

How can I tell the widget to update the hover states automatically after the resize action?

DayLateDon  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Get the offsetTop property of the element from js during the resize; I believe this forces a relayout, which might update the display.
That doesn't seem to help me.

Of course, the widget's well aware of layout changes, since everything's moving during the resize. The widget (apparently) just isn't recalculating the relative position of the cursor. Then again, when I move the mouse manually afterwards and trigger the ":hover" state on a separate tab, the widget obviously *is* recalculating the relative position of the cursor, but isn't de-hovering the old tab appropriately. Hmmmm ...

I guess I should give up ":hover" and try "onmouseover/onmouseout", setting things up so that mousing over any tab will update the appearance of all of them. That's nowhere near as elegant as ":hover", though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules