Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook G4 won't recognize new battery

powerbook G4 won't recognize new battery
execprodsue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2010, 05:26 PM

My G4 laptop battery started having problems. It would only charge in 10% spurts before it power adaptor showed green. When I took it out and replaced, it charged again..finally got it near 100 and it discharged normally. Then it wouldn't charge at all. I assumed it was dead in less than a year and just got a new one. Now the computer won't recognize it..the symbol displays an x and it doesn't show up in System Profiler. I'm going to try resetting the power management, but doesn't seem to have helped others. Any new advice? Thanks

Dex13
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 04:46 AM

wow.

i have the same issue. just. not the x. maybe it will show up like that in a couple of days.

I just came to complain about how it charges intermittently.

new battery. Any Ideas anyone?

Sosa
Senior User
May 25, 2010, 03:39 AM

Try resetting the PMU. Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)

I am on my second battery purchased from ebay. The first one died suddenly after one year, the computer did not even recognize it and showed that X on the battery charge. The second one gives me a max charge of 10% but I suspect there is an error in reading the charge because 10% is equivalent to 100% in terms of duration. And at $30, I can live with that.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules