Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrade original MacBook Pro Core Duo to 802.11n!

Upgrade original MacBook Pro Core Duo to 802.11n!
krove
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 12:35 AM

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/71/page1/

This article details how to upgrade a MacBook Core Duo (that's right, the original ones, not Core 2 Duos) to the new 802.11n. At the end of the article, it says that the same applies for MacBook Pros, and there is a link to disassembly of a MBP.

The question is, where can you order that Mac Pro airport card?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 01:29 AM

I couldn't find the Mac Pro airport kit on the Apple Store's website, but I found one here:

Apple Airport Extreme Kit for Mac Pro from Small Dog Electronics

$49. Nice. The only bad part is that you have to literally dismantle your computer, probably void your warranty to upgrade.

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 02:02 AM

anyone tempted to have a go???
we are all part of a masterplan.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 03:20 AM

probably void your warranty to upgrade.
Probably? It's a certainty.
Linkinus is king.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 03:28 AM

It's interesting to me that Apple isn't integrating the laptop wireless chipsets on board. Pretty cool upgrade.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by krove View Post
I couldn't find the Mac Pro airport kit on the Apple Store's website, but I found one here:

Apple Airport Extreme Kit for Mac Pro from Small Dog Electronics

$49. Nice. The only bad part is that you have to literally dismantle your computer, probably void your warranty to upgrade.
From the product description, I am guessing that this card is the same as the one selling on Apple Store(still only support b/g). But what we need is the airport card that is NOW shipping with the Mac Pro, that supports n.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 05:46 AM

This has already been mentioned in another thread.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's interesting to me that Apple isn't integrating the laptop wireless chipsets on board. Pretty cool upgrade.
It seems they are using the same WIFI board in all products (including the new Airport router)... this probably keeps cost down a great deal!
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2007, 09:41 AM

I'll wait. The backbone networks need to be upgraded to make this worthwhile in my laptop.

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 09:54 AM

The Mac Pros only ever had ONE Airport card that started shipping before 802.11n was official. So the card I linked to is indeed 802.11n, even though it is not mentioned.

PSXBatou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 11:34 AM

Most consumer reachable ISP's (FIOS) can barely top the bandwidth that 802.11b can offer, for now i think 802.11g is fine for me, i don't do much transfering of large files around my network, and when i do i end up pluggin in to a GigE switch anyhow.

What are the "right now" advantages to N? Right now this N upgrade just seems like a "buy new routers and AP's" marketing plea from the wireless device community than a needed upgrade.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 05:02 PM

Does BlueTooth work in the MacBook Pro after the swap with the Mac Pro wifi card?

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's cheaper to build the same logic board for every region and just snap in the right radio (for wifi and bt) than it is to build a different logic board for every region.

Woody
Feb 21, 2007, 11:44 AM

Small Dog is out of stock. Anybody know of a source that will sell and ship without having to be authorized?

TIA

spice003
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2007, 05:10 PM

thats what i'm looking for. looked all over google and can't find anybody that selling them. if anybody knows a site please post it.

nationwide
Feb 23, 2007, 12:37 AM

has anybody tried this yet?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2007, 04:20 AM

MacFixIt claims PowerMax and CompUSA have them in stock.

t500
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2007, 09:45 AM

I tried to get one from Power Max. Heidi sent me a nice email telling me its going to be awhile and there is a long list ahead of me. The she asked if I wanted to cancel or wait... Ugggg.

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by t500 View Post
I tried to get one from Power Max. Heidi sent me a nice email telling me its going to be awhile and there is a long list ahead of me. The she asked if I wanted to cancel or wait... Ugggg.
Might not be a bad thinga afterall, since some users after plugging in the card ended with/a claimed this hack did not work at all. and powermax only has the one ending with /a

See the Apple Support Forum.

Woody
Feb 23, 2007, 02:41 PM

FedEx was here about an hour ago and I installed the card in my Pro Core Duo. Got the MA688Z/B from PowerMax before they sold out. Interestingly enough, I had ordered the A but the B arrived. Going to do the same install on my wifes MacBook tonight.

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 02:53 PM

Woody, beside the appearance of the letter "n" on the aiport admin utility, do you see a boost in range??

Woody
Feb 23, 2007, 03:04 PM

I am on a G Network right now, but at home I have the new Apple N Router. So I will check shortly ....

At the moment, my G wireless connection seems more responsive.

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 03:09 PM

Woody, that was exactly what I was asking, because I heard that the range that a N card provides is better even on a G network. Would be great if you could shed light on the range by comparing with a regular g card ... thanks.

Woody
Feb 23, 2007, 03:13 PM

Can you or anyone advise how I can accurately measure this? Perhaps a program? I 'll do some testing this weekend.

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 12:03 AM

I need the same advice as well. I had installed the n-card in my mpb, though the topcase now has a gap right above th superdrive, it's a small price to pay .

wuf810
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 05:42 AM

see this thread for detailed discussions and results

Apple - Support - Discussions - 802.11n for MacBook Pro Core Duo's no ...

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2007, 08:26 AM

Here's a priceless snippet from the Apple discussion thread:
Originally Posted by Mikey Rogers
****! I wish I knew about that one. I hate buying obsolete products!
The product was not and IS NOT obsolete. It is simply an earlier iteration with one less feature. My MBP was apparently one of the very last ones with Core Duo processors (I got it about 3 weeks before the C2D units came out) and I'm not at all unhappy with it. Most of the places I use it wirelessly only support G speeds anyway, and I have no other "draft N-capable" computers, so why should I complain?

Anyway, I would like to see Apple offer the faster card as a mail in upgrade (as in you mail your computer in and they install the new card and add the third antenna). This makes sense and should be doable, but I imagine that we're all whiners enough, and want instant gratification enough to not like such a program-especially since they would likely be swamped by the large number of users, whining or not, who want the faster speed and want it factory installed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Here's a priceless snippet from the Apple discussion thread:The product was not and IS NOT obsolete.
Indeed, they're deprecated, not obsolete.

spice003
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2007, 05:44 PM

just talked to guy at the apple store,, to see if i can buy the mac pro airport extreme kit, he said they have them in stock but they would have to install it (its included in the price) they have to do that so you don't void your warranty, and they wont sell it it to you if you gonna install it your self. he said check third party retailers if you wonna buy it. and compusa does not have them either. so if anybody knows where they have it in stock please post a link or something. thanx

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Indeed, they're deprecated, not obsolete.
I wouldn't even say that until the formal N standard is released. We are still talking about a draft standard...

inque2284
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 02:52 AM

I went to the closest applestore which happened to be one of the mini stores in the mall, and the genius there wouldn't put the upgrade in. I asked him if he could upgrade my wireless with a MacPro card, and he said it would void my warranty (given that I bought AppleCare, I decided to forgo the whole thing for now)

Is there a way to have this done without voiding my warranty? I'm willing to even pay extra!

azchipka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 05:01 PM

I can assure you that the cards in questions macbook pro first rev vs macbook pro second rev are not the same card. They are very much different.

t500
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2007, 05:08 PM

I dropped one of the Mac Pro cards into my Macbook Pro CD, then installed the software for my new Apple basestation. Bam! I now have N support. No hack needed. It just worked.

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2007, 06:28 PM

I can assure you that the cards in questions macbook pro first rev vs macbook pro second rev are not the same card. They are very much different.
do some research before you say something.

I dropped one of the Mac Pro cards into my Macbook Pro CD, then installed the software for my new Apple basestation. Bam! I now have N support. No hack needed. It just worked.

where did you buy your card?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 12, 2007, 07:45 PM

The original MBP wireless card is A/B/G capable (I have one). The second gen card is A/B/G/N capable, has THREE antenna connectors instead of two, and is VERY MUCH different from the original.

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 12:01 AM

thats why you get the one for mac pro and it only has 2 antennas and it works in a macbook/pro you should read the links that people posted.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by spice003 View Post
thats why you get the one for mac pro and it only has 2 antennas and it works in a macbook/pro you should read the links that people posted.

do some research before you say something.
I was responding specifically to THIS particular post. Since it is IMMEDIATELY before my post, how is it difficult to see that? I felt being brief was superior to being wordy here.

t500
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 04:40 PM

I ordered mine from LA Computer for $59. Apple part # MA688Z/B. The unit is brand new and has 2 antenna connectors. Its been a few days now and no problems.

I believe the Core 2 Duo MBP's do have 3 antenna's built in. There were some eary repots of people putting them in the CD's with decent results but why bother when there is a card that fits.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 05:03 PM

I think we need to clarify the three antenna story once and for all before it gets out of hand.

• the CD MBP and MB have two antenna connections
• the C2D MBP and MB have three antenna connections (this 802.11 card is an entirely different model compared to the one above)
• the MP has two antenna connections
-> The MP card can be installed into CD MBPs and MBs. It works perfectly fine. The C2D cards can't be retro-fitted into C2D MBPs or MBs.

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 12:37 AM

ordered mine from LA Computer for $59. Apple part # MA688Z/B. The unit is brand new and has 2 antenna connectors. Its been a few days now and no problems.
thanx, i'm about to order mine.

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 01:33 AM

I'll probably order mine soon, but I'm so wary of opening my case. I replaced the HD in an iBook once and that was traumatic. It worked out fine, but i've never seen so many small screws before. Despite my best efforts I lost at least one.

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 01:37 AM

Ordered.

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 02:04 AM

its so easy to change it. just follow th steps in the links that people posted and ifixit.com

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
It seems they are using the same WIFI board in all products (including the new Airport router)... this probably keeps cost down a great deal!
AFAIK, it's done this way for FCC certification purposes. If the chipset were integrated onto the motherboard, then Apple would have to get each new motherboard re-certified. By putting it onto a module, Apple only needs to get new hardware re-certified when the daughterboard changes.

FCC certification is also supposedly the reason that the iPhone was announced so early -- once the process starts, a lot of details are publically available, and Steve didn't eant the suprise to be ruined. It just goes to show that there are some forces in this world more powerful than Steve.

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 06:09 PM

looks like I'm a bit late, but i ordered one from powermax about 2 weeks ago, they were sold out.but they have a shipment coming in today or tomorow so i should get mine next week, i was just trying to see if i can get one faster.

t500
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 06:42 PM

I used the take apart directions from here:
MacBook Pro Disassembly: MacBook Parts

The process was really easy. It was cake compaired to the old Powerbooks and ibooks. Good luck.

Jerr

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 11:35 PM

so does this void warranty, because some people say it won't because apple cant tell that its changed, but on mine it has orange sticky film over the card.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007, 05:56 PM

Technically, it does void the warranty. However, I saw a post somewhere (it may have been on xlr8yourmac.com) where a couple of Apple techs suggested keeping the old one and putting it back in before sending the computer in for service.

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 09:34 PM

you think they wont notice the orange film missing
Macbook Pro 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB, 128VRAM.

bigmike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 02:05 AM

you think they wont notice the orange film missing
You think you are careless enough to leave that one out once you finished the operation?

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 02:21 AM

Got mine today, and it's up and running. Nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules