Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > airport will not conect after update 10.4.9

airport will not conect after update 10.4.9
spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 01:36 AM

so i updated to 10.4.9 restarted and airport will not connect to my router. it sees it, it even lets me type the wpa key. when you try to connect it just says try again. can some body help me fix this. everything works fine in bootcamp.

ed phelan
Mar 15, 2007, 08:24 AM

On a somewhat related problem with Airport, I ran Permissions, restarted again and Airport worked as advertised.
All the best/æ

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2007, 11:03 AM

I've seen a lot of people reporting a variety of problems with the 10.4.9 update, and many of them were solved with the good old "repair permissions" technique. But AirPort with WEP may have other issues going on as well. I'd delete your current location and make a new one (or if you're using "Automatic" create a new one from scratch). This helps eliminate the potential for a keychain problem goofing up your WEP.

Then upgrade to WPA and get real security.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

spice003  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 04:37 PM

many of them were solved with the good old "repair permissions" technique
did that right when it stoped connecting .
I'd delete your current location and make a new one (or if you're using "Automatic" create a new one from scratch
tried that too. And I.m already using WPA]

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2007, 06:07 PM

Brain gas got me-I thought you'd said "WEP" for some reason. My bad.

And unfortunately I don't have any new techniques to suggest. We'll both have to sit and wait for more users to chime in. Just for clarity, can you post what computer you have? There may be an "Intel/PPC" difference, or even a "MacBook/MacBook Pro" difference.

only-human
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 03:34 PM

I think it was the Airport Extreme update from 3/12 that did it to me (on MBP2 2.16G). I hoped the 10.4.9 update would be a comprehensive fix, but Airport is still not working.

I'm on wired Ethernet at the moment.

spice003  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2007, 08:53 PM

yep its the airport update that messed it up, i reinstalled osx and it works, installed 10.4.9 still works, as soon as i install airport update it stops working. so i reinstalled osx again, installed 10.4.9 and now i'm on internet. i'm just going to wait for 10.5 hopefully they will fix this. this never happens in windows after i install updates.
they should test **** before they release it. by the way is there a way to uninstall updates?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 17, 2007, 09:55 AM

spice003, what computer are you experiencing this problem with? My Core Duo MacBook Pro has NOT had an issue with the AirPort update that came out with 10.4.9.

spice003  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2007, 09:41 PM

i updated my sig , specs are on there. but its macbook pro.
Macbook Pro 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB, 128VRAM.

only-human
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2007, 10:12 PM

FYI, 'Delete all "Preferred Network" listings' per the link below - has so far not worked for me:
MacFixIt - Tutorial: Fixing Wireless connectivity (including AirPort) problems: Dropouts, slow speed, more

My work laptop (an old Dell) continues to work just fine with the wireless router/WPA personal.

Is there a way to uninstall the Airport update???

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by spice003 View Post
this never happens in windows after i install updates.
they should test **** before they release it. by the way is there a way to uninstall updates?
This is why I always avoid installing updates from Apple unless they specifically include something I really want/need. And even then, I'll wait a few weeks to find out what was broken for the machine I'm running. I'm convinced that there's something between 10.3.5 and 10.3.9 that kills the batteries on older iBooks (I've had two batteries on my iBook 600 die shortly after installing 10.3.5 and later a combo update from 10.3 to 10.3.9).

FWIW, Windows updates don't bundle in driver or firmware updates. That's usually where Apple's updates seem to have their issues.

spice003  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 11:33 PM

thats true.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 19, 2007, 08:34 AM

Still no problems for me with a Core Duo, 2GHz MacBook Pro with 1GB RAM. I use this machine at home on my own network and at school on a rather complex network there (I'm on it right now).

I think it would be good for everyone who's having problems to post EXACTLY what's happening to you. Are there error messages? Does your AirPort card connect at Starbucks but not at home-or vice versa? Did this problem start occurring immediately after installing the update? What EXACTLY have you tried to correct the problem?

bembol
Mar 21, 2007, 10:07 PM

Not sure if it's this Update or our Router? Everything was fine before the Upgrade.

We are with Rogers Extreme High Speed (Cable) with the D-Link DI-624 with 2.76 Firmware and running iMac's, I have the 2.0GHz C2D and sister has the 2.0GHz CD.

I tried several settings on the D-Link like Super G, with or without Turbo, Extended and either WPA or WPA2. None is working or wstable!

The only one works is when it's DISABLED and of course Ethernet Cable. To make things worse, my BootCamp/XP Pro and PS3 only works on WPA?!?!

Any ideas/tips. Thanks in advance.

spice003  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2007, 11:08 PM

steveives
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 02:40 PM

I was having the same issues others were describing here, and yes it all started after a recent software update. I'm pretty new to the whole "Mac thing" so I don't know how to really determine which updates were installed when. All I can tell you is that the AirPort on my Mac Mini just stared refusing to connect to my encrypted home network. After some research I found some info in Apples support pages that said a hex WEP password needed to be preceeded with a $ sign in order to tell the software that the password was in hex. In other words specify the WEP password as $<password>. Sounded dubious to me, but I tried it and sure enough it fixed my problem! Hope this helps some of you with similar problems.

only-human
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2007, 03:25 PM

Ok - the lastest Airport extreme security update fixed the problem for me!

I just ran software update, found the Airport update 2007-003, installed, disconnected the Ethernet cable, and I was able to connect to the D-Link 624 router after entering my WPA-personal password.

pipco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 05:45 AM

Well a major blow, I have updated my macbook pro, macbook and ibook to 10.4.9 and now wireless connections have gone, that is to say I can only connect one wirelessly at a time. The router is an Actiontec 701WG. I have been through support with actiontec and upgraded the firmware, changed DHCP to DHCP manually...specified ip addresses for each machine but no joy. Then spoke to apple uk, who tried mac addressing, then turning security off entirely many many reboots...in fact we spent about 4 hours but nothing worked. Since browsing around by using my ethernet connection i have discovered some other with similar problems. The only thing I can think of that i havent tried is creating a new location from scratch and i will try later...for now been a bit of a fry though. Aplple uk did suggest at the end to replace the router but i am not so sure just yet....i guess i am just a sucker for punishment!

Any thoughts/ideas?

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2007, 09:03 AM

Welcome to the MacNN Forums, pipco!

I think it's highly unlikely that your router happened to stop doing its job correctly just exactly when you upgraded your OS. I think it more likely that you're encountering the problem a lot of us have had, which was fixed by the AirPort update 2007-003. Have you run Software Update on these machines yet? You could also see if there's a newer version of your router's software available, but I think it's more a function of basic 10.4.9 than anything about the router.

pipco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 09:21 AM

Hi,
Yeah quite a few are beginning to emerge as having problems after updating. I have upgraded to the routers latest firmware which also upgrades the configuration software. Hell I may as well try a ' new loacation' setup, then i will have exhausted just about everything I know.

C'mon Apple, get to it!!

Thanks for your prompt response

Forum Links
Forum Rules