Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple employee full of DooDoo?

Apple employee full of DooDoo?
Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 10:09 PM

I was at the Apple Store Saturday buying my wife a new white mouse and I over heard a conversation. Epson and Canon both make an 820 printer, the Epson 820 for $99 and the Canon S820 for $249 (on the web, but I swear it was listed at $149 at the Apple store). The spec are pretty close between the two. The Apple store sales the Canon and not the Epson. The buyer seemed to know what he was looking for but the Apple employee during there conversation says "I personally think the Canon prints look better". Now maybe that is true but I have an Epson 820 and I don't think I could tell the difference between one printed on it and one sent out for kodak development at the local supermarket so why spend the extra $150 bucks. In the end the consumer walked away with out the Canon under his arm.

Anyway, I figure the Apple employee was tring to push the Canon for obvious reasons.

wingdo
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 11:03 PM

Let me see if I get this right, you are faulting the salesperson for selling something they carry in stock instead of sending them elsewhere to pick up a different printer? Jeeze. Get real.

Besides, I'd take the Canon any day. 6 ink tanks instead of two, plus Canon has always supported the mac platform. I still regret getting my Epson and its pi$$ poor OS X drivers.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 11:08 PM

Yeah yeah, I know he has to sell what he has on hand. Just hated to see him try to turn the guy around since he came in wanting a particular product. What wrong with just saying you don't have said item but we do have...

By the way we have two Epsons under OSX here and they both work just fine.

pierce1979
Aug 28, 2002, 12:06 AM

The retail sales staff doesn't get commission.

Cipher13
Aug 28, 2002, 01:28 AM

I have an Epson 860 and a Canon S800.

I dunno 'bout the S820, but the S800 has *beautiful* prints.

It's the printer I use for graphics.

Full page, no border - with the photo inks and photographics paper, the printed pictures are absolutely stuning. They're just like photos.

I haven't decked out the 860 with photo ink and paper, but I doubt you can get much better than what the S800 does.

Keep in mind I'm an Epson fan, and generall dislike Canon.

Wingdo: So has Epson. My Styls Colour II ran fine on the Mac Classic II, thankyou, and the 740 ran fine in OSX; now the 860 does.

I've had 4 Epson printers, each excellent.

An LX400 (tape), SC II (inkjet), 740 and 860 (inkjet).

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by wingdo:
Let me see if I get this right, you are faulting the salesperson for selling something they carry in stock instead of sending them elsewhere to pick up a different printer? Jeeze. Get real.

Besides, I'd take the Canon any day. 6 ink tanks instead of two, plus Canon has always supported the mac platform. I still regret getting my Epson and its pi$$ poor OS X drivers.
Weird. Absolutely the opposite for me. Have the Epson 777 and it has been a smooth transition to OS X. Oddly enough, my decision to make the complete switch to OS X was when the Epson 777 couldn't be recognized in OS 9 anymore. Go figger.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2002, 11:19 AM

I have a lovely Epson Photo EX that is not so much good with OSX... serial and all. Any workarounds for that yet?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Forum Links
Forum Rules