Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dummy with an iBook

Dummy with an iBook
jec666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 01:43 AM

Can anyone tell me how to get my G4 to once again play dvds. I must have hit the wrong button(s) and proved my stupidity in touching my new (first) computer.Thanks in advance.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2005, 01:50 AM

here are the steps:
• insert the DVD
• open "DVD player" if it does not automatically launch

if you want to have "DVD player" open automatically, open "system preferences" and select "CDs & DVDs" in the hardware tab. change the setting on the last pop up menu from "ignore" to "open DVD player."

-r.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 01:51 AM

What happens when you attempt to play a DVD? Perhaps you just turned off the setting to open DVD Player when a DVD is inserted. Try opening up DVD Player manually (it's inside the /Applications folder), and if you're able to play the DVD normally. If you can play it successfully that way, open the CDs and DVDs pane of System Preferences and make sure "Open DVD Player" menu choice is selected for the DVD option.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jec666  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 02:03 AM

Damn, Ishould never have allowed a working "nerd" to do my computer programing in universty. He was thrilled to do it and I was too busy with other stuff. Thanks anyway.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
<snip> open the CDs and DVDs pane of System Preferences and make sure "Open DVD Player" menu choice is selected for the DVD option.
Big Mac: Thanks. Man, I also thought I did something wrong. Great tip. Thanks again.

jec666  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson
here are the steps:
• insert the DVD
• open "DVD player" if it does not automatically launch

if you want to have "DVD player" open automatically, open "system preferences" and select "CDs & DVDs" in the hardware tab. change the setting on the last pop up menu from "ignore" to "open DVD player."

-r.
Thank you. I'msure that bwill cure my ills.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 11:49 PM

You might even decide to put DVD player into your dock, just go to your apps folder and drag it onto the dock at the bottom of your screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules