Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 17" iMac shipping

17" iMac shipping
OptG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2002, 05:19 PM

has anyone that ordered their 17" iMac, around 8/13, received it yet? Thanks.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 05:45 PM

get in line lol
i ordered mine on August 5th...
havn't seen it yet

OptG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2002, 06:12 PM

i hate waiting in line. haha. this is just plain ridiculous. this is my first mac purchase and i am about to go crazy!!!

OptG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2002, 07:36 PM

and can anyone tell me why CompUSA has so many of the 17" iMacs while no one else does?

OptG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2002, 08:25 PM

Forget Apple Store, forget CompUSA. I just bought a 17" iMac from outpost.com. They actually had them in stock!!! I will be getting it tomorrow!

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2002, 06:59 AM

I'm so tired of waiting for my 17" iMac, that I both a 15" and save 1000$ in the process. There Apple! If you could get your Macs out when you say so, I would have bought one. But now, all the waiting made me realize, that the 17" was way to expensive for nothing...

Now, I'm happy, I got my Mac and I saved money!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 21, 2002, 10:45 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 3, 2004 at 11:47 PM. )

captnroger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 11:06 AM

Oh Babble, I'm sorry you decided not to hold out!

I'd like to hear how you think you saved $1000 though. The cheapest imac out there is at $1299 now. And at that price you get half the hard drive, half the RAM, no GF4mx, no superdrive, and a smaller screen.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by babble:
I'm so tired of waiting for my 17" iMac, that I both a 15" and save 1000$ in the process. There Apple! If you could get your Macs out when you say so, I would have bought one. But now, all the waiting made me realize, that the 17" was way to expensive for nothing...

Now, I'm happy, I got my Mac and I saved money!
Sorry to hear you would`nt wait any longer too
I don`t like to whine about apple hardware, but it does kinda "suck" that they can`t ship hardware when they are supposed to, but hey...you got brand new imac now

Tom.

dleggett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 11:21 AM

Do you know if it comes with the 10.2 upgrade included?

Originally posted by OptG:
Forget Apple Store, forget CompUSA. I just bought a 17" iMac from outpost.com. They actually had them in stock!!! I will be getting it tomorrow!

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by captnroger:
Oh Babble, I'm sorry you decided not to hold out!

I'd like to hear how you think you saved $1000 though. The cheapest imac out there is at $1299 now. And at that price you get half the hard drive, half the RAM, no GF4mx, no superdrive, and a smaller screen.
I saved 1000$Can... Sorry for the mislead...

And, I don't need more HD (40GB is way to much already), RAM is cheap so I upgraded, superdrive was only a luxury for me, I don't do movies and GF4mx isn't that much of a difference with 2mx...

Only the smaller screen is a drawback for me. But, I'll live with it! At least I got a Mac to work on NOW... So all and all, I'm happy!

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by tomra:

Sorry to hear you would`nt wait any longer too
I don`t like to whine about apple hardware, but it does kinda "suck" that they can`t ship hardware when they are supposed to, but hey...you got brand new imac now

Tom.
Don't be sorry Tomra, I got what I wanted... I could have waited more. But, Apple doesn't deserve our money after all this wait.

b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2002, 02:43 PM

Ok don't know exactly what this means to anyone but I just got off the phone with an apple rep from the developer program who said that they will be shipping to the first 200 orders on the 23rd, however they have a total of 450 back orders... I don't know if this is a # only in relation to those using the developer discount or if it is for all preorders... how many preorders do you think the imac got? 450 for just those using the discount seems steep to me... but then i guess i don't have a grasp of international comerce... eitherway my fingers are crossed that im in that top 200 (probably not)
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

OptG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by dleggett:
Do you know if it comes with the 10.2 upgrade included?

I don't know yet, but I will let you know whenever it gets in. Should be any minute now.

OptG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 05:18 PM

jaguar upgrade disc did come with it. upgrading right now.

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 06:41 PM

Is there anybody that received their 17" imac in Canada? I ordered mine the day after the keynote and I have been told that the supplier will have them on Aug 27. Apparently, there are only two supplier in Canada.

dleggett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 08:39 PM

Thanks. I just ordered mine from Outpost.com today. Should arrive by Friday. Thanks for the tip. I'm glad 10.2 will be with it.

Dave

Originally posted by OptG:
jaguar upgrade disc did come with it. upgrading right now.

OptG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 12:39 AM

have fun with it. jaguar is really nice.

MoparSteve
Aug 22, 2002, 06:46 PM

I ordered my 17" from the Apple Education Online Store on 8/2. I got an email saying it was shipped from the factory today. I ordered mine with the base memory, but with an airport card.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by MoparSteve:
I ordered my 17" from the Apple Education Online Store on 8/2. I got an email saying it was shipped from the factory today. I ordered mine with the base memory, but with an airport card.

i ordered mine 8/6 w/ 512 base ram, and an airport card
i also recieved an email stating that mine was shipped today!!!
w0000t

b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 08:50 PM

I got now e-mail and mine jumped back from 'partially" shipped when i got my dvd's to "being reviewed" on the order status page some how... what the heck is going on?!?!?!
APPLE WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!?!?!?!

matt_cecil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 10:09 PM

I am glad to see that someone who ordered from the education store has received shipping confirmation. I ordered from the online education store on July 19 and have heard nothing. I wonder if it is the 1GB of RAM that is causing the holdup.

Everytime someone posts that they ordered on Friday and got theirs the next Monday, I get a little more frustrated.

I am trying to be patient, but I wonder why Apple put its education customers at the back of the line right as school is starting. (My university department has ordered literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of stuff from Apple, including a lab full of G4s and cinema displays this year.)

Of course my frustration will disappear about five seconds after the computer arrives.

b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2002, 06:15 PM

Well talked to Apple again, they say now I am looking at early September for the ship date of the Imac I ordered 7/23. They also said that there is a special allocation team that decides how many computerswill go to certain groups at times like this. So stores get a certain number, web sales get a certain number, educational discount orders get a certain number, and then it would seem is me at the very bottom with developer discount since I still have not seen any word on mine and i know some of you already saw yours ship. anyone whose seen their ship but ordered after 7/23 willing to give out their web order number? The sales people said maybe they could shed some light on why yours went ahead of mine if you have the web order number.

when will it end?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 24, 2002, 06:09 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 3, 2004 at 11:48 PM. )

MoparSteve
Aug 25, 2002, 02:42 AM

anyone whose seen their ship but ordered after 7/23 willing to give out their web order number? The sales people said maybe they could shed some light on why yours went ahead of mine if you have the web order number. [/B]
My web order number is W3314023. Again, I ordered through the online education store on 8/2 with standard memory and an airport card. I chose standard shipping, which is free. Since my notification said my 17" shipped from Taiwan on 8/22, I wasn't expecting to get it here in Phoenix until a week later. But checking the tracking for the shipment, the iMac made it to Phoenix today! I expect it will arrive at the house on Monday, but sadly, I'll be out of town on business until Thursday.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2002, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by matt_cecil:
(My university department has ordered literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of stuff from Apple, including a lab full of G4s and cinema displays this year.
Oh man.. oh man!!! DROOOL!!!!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

iMatt SE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 11:27 AM

I ordered mine from Apple ed. on 7/29, still not shipping!!!

(not available in Flower Power)

hledgard
Aug 26, 2002, 06:18 PM

This is potentially a real problem for Apple.

Thanks to all of you for keeping this thread alive!

Sincerely,
Dr. Ledgard

b00tang
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 11:59 PM

bam! computer shipped today, sooner then the people at apple thought it would(mine was bought 7/23 with dev. discount). Its so hard to stay mad at apple when i know there is a shiny new imac on its way to me here at university of illinois

kidfrostbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2002, 07:56 PM

I ordered mine on 7/28 and just got an e-mail last night saying i might have to wait another 20 business days. yes, that's another month. I've been given the option to cancel, so I think i'll mosey over to the crapola CompUSA this weekend and see what's up.
I've never bought anything directly from Apple before, and I have to say this is not terribly encouraging.

mike

iMatt SE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2002, 10:10 PM

Mine shipped!!!!

ordered 7/29

(not available in Flower Power)

saxotech
Aug 28, 2002, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by dvenne:
Is there anybody that received their 17" imac in Canada? I ordered mine the day after the keynote and I have been told that the supplier will have them on Aug 27. Apparently, there are only two supplier in Canada.
I bought my 17" iMac from a store in Victoria, BC and I have been told I should have it by the end of this month (August).

JaxMax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by kidfrostbite:
I ordered mine on 7/28 and just got an e-mail last night saying i might have to wait another 20 business days. yes, that's another month.

mike
Hey frostbite don't get too worried about that 20 business days thing; that's just a formality, e-mail that's automatically generated when you've exceeded the time they promised. I got one 4 weeks from the time of purchase. However, within the hour, I also got a notice of shipment! Yours could come anytime.

kidfrostbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by JaxMax:

Hey frostbite don't get too worried about that 20 business days thing; that's just a formality, e-mail that's automatically generated when you've exceeded the time they promised. I got one 4 weeks from the time of purchase. However, within the hour, I also got a notice of shipment! Yours could come anytime.

and of course that's almost exactly what happened to me, though mine took another day or two. now it's in alaska on the way to the lower 48, should have it after the holiday.

it took a while, but at least now i *know* that jaguar will be on there

mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules