Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Am I being tricked?

Am I being tricked?
Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 16, 2006, 12:15 AM

Hi,

My problem is that I found a 17" PB High Res with 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, etc. Online on craigslist. Here is my problem the price is $650. I know it sounds like the deal of the year. Well I emailed the seller for the large size pictures he posted (which where all critical parts) and to ask him if there was any problem with the PB and when he bought it (apple care). What do you guys and girls thing about this? Am I being tricked?

Please don't steal the deal, since I'm just asking for advice here.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Biest

EDIT:

Sry to the mods if this is the wrong section, I didn't want to post it in the Marketplace since it is not a offer.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2006, 12:29 AM

If it is at Craigslist, you can always go and look at it. Maybe he just needs to sell.

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 12:32 AM

that is what i thought as well, bit alone the upgrades and everything are a value of $500

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2006, 12:36 AM

Very true. Ask him if you can come and test it out for a little bit, and then go from there.

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 12:42 AM

I'll after I get the sellers reply about the pictures. What do you people recommend? I would run a Hardware Test of the Install CD, try to see the performance under load (maybe encoding a movie) and maybe run TechTool Deluxe

EDIT:

$400 iBook I was looking at is gone, damn...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 12:45 AM

go with your gut. have the guy come to a place that you know (that ISNAE your home), and is semi crowded (ya never know) and bring whatever you need to to test it out with you.

Alex

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2006, 12:47 AM

Man, Macs are cheap in LA. Here on Craigslist I can buy a single 867 G4 for $1500! Yippee! The cheapest Mac craigslist has had here was a 350MHz iMac for $300.

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
go with your gut. have the guy come to a place that you know (that ISNAE your home), and is semi crowded (ya never know) and bring whatever you need to to test it out with you.

Alex
thanks for the idea, cause if i test it properly the HDD might fail.

But I would either invite him/her to my dorm (moving in in two days, sophomore year here I come) and go form there. Since I can get all the stuff i need form the web and that pretty easily cause of the 10MBit line we have.

But any recommendations what more to test?

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Man, Macs are cheap in LA. Here on Craigslist I can buy a single 867 G4 for $1500! Yippee! The cheapest Mac craigslist has had here was a 350MHz iMac for $300.
LOL that is expensive, there is a guy selling a 1.83Ghz Core Duo iMac for $950

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2006, 07:52 AM

Just because its on Craigslist doesn't guarentee the seller is local. My guess is when you email him and ask him to meet somewhere to look at it in person he's either going to ignore the email outright and you'll never hear from him again or he'll email you some excuse about why he can't meet in person.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
If it is at Craigslist, you can always go and look at it. Maybe he just needs to sell.
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2006, 08:02 AM

"If it looks too good to be true, it probably is." But check it out-the seller may be really hard up. And if he offers to meet you in a parking lot and has the computer in his trunk-and acts like he doesn't want to be seen, tell him you "forgot" the cash at home and RUN away!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 08:36 AM

I just got an email back and look where he is from, well interesting. Has anybody any experience with the service he is talking about

I live in Plano TX.The item is new with 12 months
international warranty( with all standard accessories ) .Here is how I want to go about delivery and payment for the product which will be through TNT and will also give you the chance to inspect the product before I receive the payment for.
I will explain to you step by step how this will work.
A. First you have to send me your shipping information (your name and address).
1. After I have received your shipping info, I'll go to a TNT Location and I will leave the
product onto your name and address as the intended receiver.
2. TNT will check it to see that the unit was placed with all the papers and to see that is legal.
B. You will receive a notification from TNT as a confirmation that the product is in their custody and also, that the product has been tested.
1.TNT will send you an invoice, and if everything is in order, they will deliver the product to your door step.
2. After you will receive the product and you will be completely satisfied with it, you will instruct TNT to release the payment information to me, so I can collect my money.
C. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the product, you will return the product to TNT with no expenses. I will pay for the shipping and you will acquit the fee for the transferred amount .

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2006, 08:56 AM

Do a Google search for TNT Escrow. It brings up a bunch of links showing it to be a scam and posts with instructions nearly identical to the ones you posted. Run from this.

http://www.tnt.com/country/en_corpor...net_fraud.html
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 09:09 AM

Thank you very much CrazedVW, I even found a thread here concerning that with the same wording, etc.

So there goes this offer. Lets hope the last one is okay

akwarner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 12:27 PM

I replied to one of these once from a craigslist listing as well and my person was "in England". Their reply was pretty much verbatim what you got. The sad part of it is that TNT is a widely respected freight company and these people are defaming their reputation with this crap. Report this BS to craigslist.

A.

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 12:45 PM

already reported...

Forum Links
Forum Rules