Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replaced Hard Drive, No Drive Found?

Replaced Hard Drive, No Drive Found?
adent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 11:53 AM

This one stumped me many months ago, so I put the Powerbook on the shelf for a day when I had some free time to troubleshoot it.

Well I've got the time today, I was hoping someone else on here has run into this problem.

I have a Titanium Powerbook G4 800mhz laptop, a few months ago I replaced the hard drive with a nice large 120gig laptop drive. Worked like a champ for a month or so then it started making those nasty clicking noises and crashed often.

So no big deal, I'll get a replacement drive, put it in the laptop, and ship this 120 back for a replacement. Never could I have been more wrong...

Just like before I removed the old drive (120) and put in a nice formatted 40Gig, on reboot I left the OSX DVD in the drive for a fresh OS install. Except the DVD booted and saw no hard drive! Yep, nothing to install to.

I was stunned, so I swapped the drive back (40 out, 120 in), same thing, no drive.

Figuring my FoxConn IDE cable must have slipped and I tried again and again, and again.

Finally, short of giving up, I tried one more time with the 120, this time no OSX DVD, lo and behold it booted! but started clicking and crashed shortly thereafter.

Now, I wondering, sure it could be the controller/logic board, which would be a $$$ replacement, however, could there be some sort of openbios config I need to do to get it to "recognize" the new media?

I'm tired of the sad mac face and hoping you guys have some suggestions.

Thanks!

-A

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 12:08 PM

I think you have a failed HDD controller/mobo.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

adent  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 12:10 PM

Certainly sounds like that's the case.

Perhaps there's a decent boot diagnostic tool that would confirm that for me?

-A

webmonkie
Oct 26, 2006, 12:43 PM

What ever you do, DO NOT attempt to replace the hard drive yourself.

adent  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 02:30 PM

Hmm, well I tried replacing the hard drive a few times this morning, the only time it worked was when I "vigorusly" wiggled the IDE cable into place.

It's a 11$ charge for a replacement Foxconn IDE ribbon, so I'll give that a shot this week.

We'll let you know if it works.

-A

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2006, 06:44 PM

I had the same problem when I replaced my hD in PB. The cable was the problem - it did not seat properly. I bet that its your cable. Another thing I noticed was the when I was replacing the HD the cable had to be pushed out of the way. Perhaps you damaged your cable. I bet it will work after your new cable.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 07:59 PM

I am not sure if OP initialized the new HD. When I put in a 100 GB HD to Ti PB (replacing the small 20 GB OEM HD), Mac did not recoginize the HD. I quickly learned the new HD has to be initialized with Disk Utility before going forward with OS intallation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules