Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backlit keyboard quit

Backlit keyboard quit
Kevin83165
Oct 29, 2006, 07:35 AM

Hey, I just noticed that my backlight keyboard no longer works on my Powerbook. Nor do I see an option anywhere, but researching at Apples sight is says it's "software driven". I don't have the original CD's that came with this unit because I got it off Ebay, so I don't know what might have been included (or if it's even software related at all for that fact).

Does anyone know what to check for?

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 07:56 AM

How old is your PB? I have been also wondering the longevity of the backlight keyboard. I think it uses the fiber optics lighting and should last as long as the life of the backlight on the LCD (if not as long as the life of the notebook itself).

Kevin83165  (op)
Oct 29, 2006, 09:33 AM

It's 3 years old, which is pretty aged lol.

BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 02:08 PM

Have you kept your backlight on at all times? For my 15" 1.25 MHz PB, I turned it off as I use it with ACD and an external Apple BT keyboard. I am one of those anal people who worry about burning up the components through over-use.

Kevin83165  (op)
Oct 29, 2006, 03:10 PM

Actually I have only had the unit for a week. And I remember that I saw it working. But one day I got a prompt to download some stuff and amongst it was a firmware upgrade, I think it quit then. mabey a coincidence.

Kevin83165  (op)
Oct 29, 2006, 03:16 PM

Actually I have only had the unit for a week. And I remember that I saw it working. But one day I got a prompt to download some stuff and amongst it was a firmware upgrade, I think it quit then. mabey a coincidence.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 05:28 AM

Reset the PMU.

Forum Links
Forum Rules