Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Unbelievable Panther theme finally released!

Unbelievable Panther theme finally released!
mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 07:51 AM

Since my Titaniuim6 theme only has about 12 hours to get noticed before the BIG announcement from "all" the "top" themers who are in-the-know, I thought I'd engage in a little of their style of hype!!!

This is truly the most amazing theme released so far for Panther and will make your computer look almost like Titanium5 did for Jaguar! Get it now and you won't ever think of using Aqua (or even shAPEshifter) ever ever again!!!

http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 08:01 AM

Here's a slightly better quality representation of how it might look on your coomputer. Pretty freaking unbelievable huh?

headbirth
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 09:13 AM

Nice! Does it require metalfier or any other hacks?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 09:16 AM

-r.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 09:19 AM

ohhh.

Quite a lot of work went into that! I wonder if there will be a theme->SS converter...

-Owl

Gito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 12:29 PM

So far the coolest theme for Panther!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 01:17 PM

this theme does not need metalifizer and, from what little playing i have done with shAPE, it looks like it can be installed from there too.

i love this theme, all that white was tearing me apart.

trust me, tew put a WHOLE lot of work and anguish into this. thanks tew!

Dan.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 02:42 PM

What font are you using? It looks okay with Lucida Grande but I like that one from the screenshot!

EDIT: Oh, I figured it out, it's Copperplate Light.

It would be much better if there wasn't so much black-on-dark-gray text though. I like the white text in the pull-down menus, but there needs to be more white text.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 02:54 PM

actually its not copperplate, its bank gothic

picked that up from the silk thread.

dws
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 06:29 PM

Titanium6 works beautifully with ShapeShifter.

While it may look a little on the dark side from screenshots, it is actually very soothing.

The drop-down menus are inspired.

Best of all (and worth the download itself - just so you can see it) is this developer's approach to active (throbber) buttons. Simply incredible. A perfect notification interface element.

Thank you for all your hard work.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
It would be much better if there wasn't so much black-on-dark-gray text though. I like the white text in the pull-down menus, but there needs to be more white text.
Yeah, I tried white text, but I didn't like it. Thanks for the suggestion though. I don't think the gray is a little too light for white text to work right. Maybe I will make a 'Dark Titanium' theme someday and use it.

Originally posted by dws:
Titanium6 works beautifully with ShapeShifter....Best of all... is this developer's approach to active (throbber) buttons.
Thanks but those buttons are basically darkened versions of the ones from b00zo's 'Brushed' theme that he said I could use. So Max gets the credit for that bit of coolness! Thanks again Max!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2003, 11:31 AM

i love this theme, ive been running it for about a month now. never go back to aqua. no way.

Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 03:55 PM

Love the theme, too.

Just out of curiosity, how do you change the system font? Need some other piece of shareware to do that? Or, is there a freebie hack out there?

TIA

Lefo

siliconwarrior
Nov 23, 2003, 04:11 PM

IMHO: I love everything about this theme - except for the widgets/scrollbar arrows. I don't think they are consistent with the rest and they are the only thing stopping me from using this theme.

I would definitely use a version of this theme with the standard graphite widgets and rounded corners.

Nice work.
Silicon-Age Warrior

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 03:58 PM

I really like this theme (except some of the text is a bit unreadable...esp. in safari in the status bar). Im not sure if i will continue using this theme, but I have to applaud the developer for his thoroughness. Theres itunes, quicktime, safari, camino, and vpc themes...wow. I don't see this from the other theme developers (though maybe they will with SS...though you did it without it). Way to go, keep up the good work.

Also, I thought there was a problem with brushed metal finder that required the use of ShapeShifter? You seemed to apply your own custom colors and such...maybe I missed something?

Either way, thanks for the great theme set.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by x user:
MrTew, I'm impressed.

I tried Ti back at 1.0 and didn't like it at all. I just now installed Ti6 with ShapeShifter (On 10.2.8) and am blow away. Very nice work on all fronts and much more minimalistic than previous versions I tried.

Great work!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Originally posted by cloudaj:
I really like this theme... I have to applaud the developer for his thoroughness. Theres itunes, quicktime, safari, camino, and vpc themes...wow. I don't see this from the other theme developers (though maybe they will with SS...though you did it without it). Way to go, keep up the good work.

Also, I thought there was a problem with brushed metal finder that required the use of ShapeShifter? You seemed to apply your own custom colors and such...maybe I missed something?

Either way, thanks for the great theme set.
You're welcome! The deal with the metal Finder is that you have to use SS to make the finder metal colored (although I don't believe that feature is implimented yet). With normal theming the new Finder has a gray-scale surface to it although obviously the buttons can be colored. Not a big deal for my theme or at least 80% of others as they have a grayscale background anyway, but for the ones that are color it's a very big deal. Luckily Titanium6 works fine with or without SS (as it was release the day before SS was announced!) :-]
( Last edited by mrtew; Nov 24, 2003 at 09:44 PM. )

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 08:48 PM

ah ok so if you want that normal greyish color its fine but if you wanted like a blue finder then you'd need shapeshifter?

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by siliconwarrior:
IMHO: I love everything about this theme - except for the widgets/scrollbar arrows. I don't think they are consistent with the rest and they are the only thing stopping me from using this theme.

I would definitely use a version of this theme with the standard graphite widgets and rounded corners.

Nice work.
I second that, the widgets...Other than that, this is a fantastic theme with very very nice transparency. But the widgets and my apperant inability to use the capitalish font...please Mr.Tew?

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Musti:
I second that, the widgets...Other than that, this is a fantastic theme with very very nice transparency. But the widgets and my apperant inability to use the capitalish font...please Mr.Tew?
You can paste in the widgets from Aqua or any other theme with ThemePark in about 5 minutes, but I'm not going to do it! :-] I've worked too long making them absolutely perfect just do delete them! Just try the metal widgets a little more and see if you like them better! Or switch to "Graphite" in the System Preferences "Appearance panel" and see if you like the flat ones better than the shiny ones.

As for the font, you can use Bank Gothic or Copperplate with the Haxie called 'Silk2.0" from Unsanity along with Tinkertool from versiontracker to get that supercool all-caps look. Write back if you can't figure out how to use them.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 09:05 PM

it'a great theme. i do want to try a few things, for myself only of course.
where in themepark do i change the text, if i want to try white text, and first...
how do i unlock the theme??

thanx!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
it'a great theme. i do want to try a few things, for myself only of course.
where in themepark do i change the text, if i want to try white text, and first...
how do i unlock the theme??

thanx!

As far as I know it's not 'locked' or anything. Maybe right-click on the .dlta and 'Show package contents" is what you are looking for. Then drag the Extras out and modify it and copy/paste it back in. When you open the Extras.rsrc up in ThemePark one of the catagories in the first column is clr or Colors. The first two blocks of colors don't do anything but the third one controls all the type colors. There is a chart somewhere that shows what they all control, but with my theme it's fine to just make them all white. Personally I don't like the look as much as the black type, but it does improve readability everywhere especially if you have a dark screen or a bright room or bad eyes. If you make any mods at least post pix of them here so I can see them. My theme, more than any other I think, is a work in progress. I'm always trying to make it better (at least to my eyes)!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 09:51 PM

"locked" is lit up (not checked...) in get info...

but will try as u suggest, thanx!

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 10:09 PM

white text looks better to me anyway, on the menubar, but...how do i change to white text with time display on the menubar, and mostly, safari's tabs&bookmark bar??

(will post a pic when done...)

OOPS!! all white boxes is NOT ok, i'm getting white text in folders (inside of package contents, or dreamweaver files, for example)

that's white on white, not much use!

( Last edited by fisherKing; Nov 25, 2003 at 10:22 PM. )

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 11:11 PM

Mr. Tew: how about using the graphite alternate for the theme and perhaps changing the current widgets for aqua widgets, or maybe some bright chrome?

Dave

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2003, 01:23 PM

yeah, what do you say tew? the widgets (as far as im concerned) are fine. love the chrome too! but the scroll buttons are a little busy. maybe you could make them some kinda double chevron kinda thing? like >> and <<. i dunno, just a thought.

Dan.
( Last edited by d4nth3m4n; Nov 28, 2003 at 01:31 PM. )

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
yeah, what do you say tew? the widgets (as far as im concerned) are fine. love the chrome too! but the scroll buttons are a little busy. maybe you could make them some kinda double chevron kinda thing? like >> and <<. i dunno, just a thought.

Dan.

Yeah, I think I will release Titanium7 pretty soon with some new stuff! If anyone has some cool ideas for the main widgets I am starting to get a little tired of them. I've already redone the scroll arrows completely and fixed a bunch of little bugs. I'm always refining my theme it seems.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 04:57 AM

Absolutely astounding theme here . I feel very fortunate to have it on my machine . Lovely use of my favorite colors . I hope to see more of your work . This really has made my day and made my computer groovier than it ever has been . Thanks again .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

axlepin
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 10:17 PM

that is some top-shelf work!

just the kind of interface treatment I'd been searching for.

axle

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 10:22 PM

While sifting through resex looking for this theme, I am once again reminded how much their theme archive sucks.

Direct link anyone? Please?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 10:27 PM

RydDragyn
Dec 11, 2003, 05:43 PM

Honest opinion: the widgets are pixelated and rather unattractive looking. Perhaps if they more resembed the Apple menu's shininess.

Edit: The shadow on the widgets is specifically what bugs me.

I'm only one person though, so to each their own.

Otherwise, nice job!

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by RydDragyn:
Honest opinion: the widgets are pixelated and rather unattractive looking. Perhaps if they more resembed the Apple menu's shininess.

Edit: The shadow on the widgets is specifically what bugs me.
I'm only one person though, so to each their own.
Otherwise, nice job!
Are you talking about the shadow below the widget buttons on the titlebar or the reflection running across the middle of the widgets?

RydDragyn
Dec 12, 2003, 01:20 AM

This:

What appears to be a shadow running diagonally across the maximize/minimize/close widgets.

Again, just my personal opinion.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2003, 08:54 AM

I like this theme a lot as well, tried it with SS. The only issues I have with it really are the problems already noted about the unreadable text in Safari and for me anyways, when I browse my files from an application, all files that would normally be grayed out simply do not show anything but the icon. Anybody else see this?

Otherwise, I absolutely love the menu transparency and the darkness of the theme in general.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by siliconwarrior:
I disagree, I think he should make all the buttons the same style as the x-+ widget, not ditch the x-+ widgets. All the other elements are so... max's brushed. Also, the sliders aren't grayed out of anything when they're inactive, would be nice if I could tell whether something was inactive or not without clicking it. I really like the chrome elements... REALLY like them. I wish more of the theme was in that style.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 05:08 PM

oops
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 18, 2003 at 05:16 PM. )

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 12:28 AM

Wow, sorry about that last message. I just noticed that iTunes was updated and my iTunes theme needed an update too to be current! Aaaaanyway......

Thanks for all the input and stuff guys! Pointing out the bugs and critiquing the design is REALLY helping! Titanium7 is the result of fixing the problems with Ti6 and redesigning the menus, the scroll arrows, the widgets, the tabs and moving that darned pixel yet again! :-] I like it so much better that I am embarrassed about all the previous Ti releases! I think it's done, but if anyone wants to check it out before it's released there is a beta you can download by clicking on the preview picture here... Tell me if you see anything, but please, no 'I hate your theme' crap. I'm a very sensitive guy.

Make sure and set your Appearance System Prefs pane to 'Graphite' to eliminate the blue inner glow in active windows! In 'Graphite' at least its whiteish gray. the best solution I've found so far. (Click on the picture to download the final beta.)

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Wow, sorry about that last message. I just noticed that iTunes was updated and my iTunes theme needed an update too to be current! Aaaaanyway......

Thanks for all the input and stuff guys! Pointing out the bugs and critiquing the design is REALLY helping! Titanium7 is the result of fixing the problems with Ti6 and redesigning the menus, the scroll arrows, the widgets, the tabs and moving that darned pixel yet again! :-] I like it so much better that I am embarrassed about all the previous Ti releases! I think it's done, but if anyone wants to check it out before it's released there is a beta you can download by clicking on the preview picture here... Tell me if you see anything, but please, no 'I hate your theme' crap. I'm a very sensitive guy.

Make sure and set your Appearance System Prefs pane to 'Graphite' to eliminate the blue inner glow in active windows! In 'Graphite' at least its whiteish gray. the best solution I've found so far. (Click on the picture to download the final beta.)

i hate your theme.
thanks bitch.

Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 03:41 AM

Downloaded latest beta

Went to ThemeChanger and restored to Aqua from Max's restore.

Installed new beta, restarted, now Mac is sitting on the Boot Panel showing 'Login
Window starting', but nothing is happening.

Running 10.3.2

Anyway I can get past this window, go to my User, use ThemeChanger to get back to Aqua?

TIA

Lefo

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by Lefo:
Downloaded latest beta

Went to ThemeChanger and restored to Aqua from Max's restore.

Installed new beta, restarted, now Mac is sitting on the Boot Panel showing 'Login
Window starting', but nothing is happening.

Running 10.3.2

Anyway I can get past this window, go to my User, use ThemeChanger to get back to Aqua?

TIA

Lefo
try and put the panter install cd in the drive, reboot holding the c key, and once prompted, select to boot off the install cd. then once youre in the installer, go to the "file" (might be the "installer menu, the one on the left next to the apple.) menu and select disk utility and in there repair permissions and repair the disk while youre at it.

wishing you all the luck in the world.
Dan.

Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
try and put the panter install cd in the drive, reboot holding the c key, and once prompted, select to boot off the install cd. then once youre in the installer, go to the "file" (might be the "installer menu, the one on the left next to the apple.) menu and select disk utility and in there repair permissions and repair the disk while youre at it.

wishing you all the luck in the world.
Dan.
Good suggestion, but unfortunately, no go.

I guess I'll have to redo the OS. Thanks for the help, though. I appreciate it.

Lefo

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 05:09 PM

Lefo
Darnit, I was hoping for better news than somebody borking their system. I thought all the bugs had been worked out of Themechanger. I don't think it was my theme as several people have installed it already with no probs. Anyone else have any problems? Now I understand what Swiz was saying about using SS to prevent problems with people hurting their computers. I use Ti7 with Themechanger all the time just fine, but it works well with ShapeShifter too. Hope things are going better by now.

Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 06:42 PM

Darnit, I was hoping for better news than somebody borking their system. I thought all the bugs had been worked out of Themechanger. I don't think it was my theme as several people have installed it already with no probs. Anyone else have any problems? Now I understand what Swiz was saying about using SS to prevent problems with people hurting their computers. I use Ti7 with Themechanger all the time just fine, but it works well with ShapeShifter too. Hope things are going better by now.
Hey, no problem. Took me a few hours, but Panther is very easy to work with once you get all the extra languages kicked out of it. I don't blame any themer for their work. I was using the latest TC, and i was using Max's restore, so it should have worked out all right. Live and learn. Thank the gods that I backup regularly. ;->

Lefo

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2003, 07:50 PM

How come all the graphics in iTunes4.2 preferences are gone- even some text are missing when using the iTunes.rsrc replacement file from Titanium7 ?
Click here for the screenie
( Last edited by Fonzie; Dec 19, 2003 at 08:03 PM. )

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 10:09 PM

All is well here on G5 and Shape Shifter .The new menus have me melting away dude . There is nothing cooler than that . Please do more . Thanks for the update and sharing it with us .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

x user
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 12:16 AM

Lefo
Ah the joys of beta testing .

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
How come all the graphics in iTunes4.2 preferences are gone- even some text are missing when using the iTunes.rsrc replacement file from Titanium7 ?
Click here for the screenie

That really IS bizarre. Someone told me about that problem with the last version but I didn't have it on my computer so I figured they were just nuts, but now I have it too. Turns out it was caused by me putting that cute icon on the itunes.rsrc file itself! Somehow iTunes would read that resource instead of what it was supposed to be looking for. Either strip the icon off the file or just redownload from the link above. Sorry. Thanks for catching that.
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 20, 2003 at 09:04 AM. )

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by x user:
Ah the joys of beta testing .
Allright I am going to have to respond to that one. I referred to Titanium7 at this point as a 'Beta' because the 'look' is at a final ready to be tested stage, not the functionality. The tool that is used to build themes (ThemePark) is basically made so that's it's impossible to make a 'Bad' theme. You're just replacing pixels with different colored pixels. I've never heard of a 'Bad' theme that can hurt anyone's system. Someone correct me if I am wrong. If I hear too much more stuff like this I am going to have to go to go to GUI kit format too. I can't take it.

Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 01:20 PM

Allright I am going to have to respond to that one. I referred to Titanium7 at this point as a 'Beta' because the 'look' is at a final ready to be tested stage, not the functionality. The tool that is used to build themes (ThemePark) is basically made so that's it's impossible to make a 'Bad' theme. You're just replacing pixels with different colored pixels. I've never heard of a 'Bad' theme that can hurt anyone's system. Someone correct me if I am wrong. If I hear too much more stuff like this I am going to have to go to go to GUI kit format too. I can't take it.
You have to understand that first of all, I'm not blaming anyone but myself for screwing up my system. Secondly, it's very possible that my Aqua Back up/Restore files somehow became corrupted. I've never had a theme screw up my system, but if the resources were corrupted or ThemeChanger had a bad case of gas when it was changing something around; well, that's my problem not the theme's. That's why I can't say that the theme hosed my system. I did report that I had problems simply because it was Ti7 that I was working with at the time and thought the author should be aware of it in case there was something wrong. If there isn't, I envy you folks. Those menus are absolutely the coolest yet!

Lefo

PS: I'm done themeing unless or until SS becomes as good as Kaleidoscope is/was. It's really close for a new app, but it has 'issues' yet. When those 'issues' are taken care of, I'll buy it.
( Last edited by Lefo; Dec 20, 2003 at 01:26 PM. )

quandarry
Dec 20, 2003, 01:35 PM

tewman

i've seen your teaser of Ti7...what i'd do if i were you...of course i'm not you...but if i were i'd hold off 7 and roll that delicious menu stuff into a new theme for the BIG contest...but that's me not you...right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules