Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Small "Water Spot" On 600MHZ iBook Screen

Small "Water Spot" On 600MHZ iBook Screen
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2002, 09:40 PM

Well, I went for it and recently received an iBook from Amazon...

Everything is fine, it runs quietly, no stuck pixels, etc. BUT there is this faint spot in the lower-left quadrant of the screen. It is around a millimeter in diameter and it appears slightly lighter than whatever color is being displayed.

It looks like something that should be cleanable on the front of the screen, but it appears to be on either the reverse side of the front piece of plastic or on a layer beneath it...

My options: send it back to Amazon since it is within their thirty-day return time limit, or take it to the local Apple repair center, where just looking at it will take 5-7 business days. That option was suggested by the Apple tech support person. Or learn to live with it.

Any feedback from more experienced portable Mac owners?

tinrib
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2002, 10:13 PM

My cousin's Ti has a spot like that in the middle of the screen, and about 4mm across. AppleCare said they'd fix it but I think they need to put in a new screen and they haven't got the part. So he'll get it fixed eventually.

I'd get it fixed, o/w it will bug you forever.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2002, 04:30 PM

yeah I have a tiny dot in my dock that looks like a waterspot... it's annoying but hey, at least it's not a stuck or dead pixel.

Mac Guru

macusrX
Mar 27, 2002, 07:05 PM

i have a spot very similar to what you describe- actually 2 of them. both right in the center of the screen. Apple did not fix them when I had sent mine back for another problem I was having..... so keep us updated if they fix it or not.....

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2002, 04:55 PM

After using the iBook for a couple of days I have decided that the spot is so minor that I am not going to worry about it...I was mainly concerned that it might get worse, or was a symptom of a more serious problem, since I am a newbie to LCD screens.

Since the iBook otherwise has no defects, including zero stuck pixels (which might bother me more than the faint spot) I think I faired rather well.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2002, 10:36 PM

If I were you, I'd send it in now while the iBook is still young and under warranty. If it turns out to be the start of a more serious problem, then you'll be out of luck (and a lot of money!) if the problem gets worse after the warranty is up.

Besides, why should you have to adapt to a problem with a brand new $1800 item?

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2002, 03:26 PM

Like I said, it is barely noticeable; when I am actually using the computer I don't notice it. It's along the lines of the two wires on a Sony monitor...if you stare at a white screen then you see them, otherwise they don't exist.

I did call Apple and get a case number, so there is a record of the problem. And I would think that if it is going to get worse, it will do so within the one-year base warranty period.

Since portable Macs seem to have more problems than desktops, I am seriously considering obtaining the AppleCare service, even though I normally loathe extended warranties.

BTW, the price was more like $1300, taking into account the $200 in Amazon credit that was part of the deal. I'm going to use the credit for an Airport card, among other things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules