Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So, when will the new iBooks come?

View Poll Results: When will it arrive
Poll Options:
first half of may 1 votes (5.56%)
second half of may 6 votes (33.33%)
first half of June 6 votes (33.33%)
second half of June 1 votes (5.56%)
Later 4 votes (22.22%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
So, when will the new iBooks come?
toffe
Forum Regular
May 6, 2005, 08:16 AM

[About when an update for the G4 iBook will be released]

I know this has been speculated over and over and over and over,
but it doesn't atleast bore me out... since all i can du until they release a new upgrade for the iBook is waaaiit. And - you gotta have hope.

I would feel stupid if i bougth one today, and tomorrow a new version came out with i.e. better graphics/processor and stuff.

So. When do you people think that a new upgrade will possibly arrive?

This is what buyersguide.macrumors.com says today about the ibook:

Product: iBook
Last Release: October 19, 2004
Days Since Update: 199 (Average = 158)
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Special Notes: none.
( Last edited by toffe; May 7, 2005 at 12:07 AM. Reason: (refined title))

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2005, 08:17 AM

It'll likely be updated at some time but no one knows when. If you can wait a couple of weeks, might be worth it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

storer
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 09:12 AM

WWDC, I think.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2005, 10:58 AM

When's wwdc?
I personally don't think they will be released for a long time. Have you ever looked inside a powermac g5 or taken the heatsink off? The heatsink is a huge heavy cube of metal fins cooling a tiny processor. Try fitting that in an Ibook. Unless they are going to have fans cooling it, which would cancel out a quiet Ibook, then it won't be released yet. Although this is just my opinion... I could be wrong! I'll be amazed if they do come out before October or Christmas

Sean

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2005, 11:25 AM

Sean, you must be thinking of a PB G5. Longhorn will likely be out by the time the iBooks go G5.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 12:37 PM

Dudes, you SOOOOOO need a life... nobody knows for sure since Apple won't tell. So why don't you just sit back and relax
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Voch
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 01:02 PM

To add some more wood to the fire. It's not like a moderator just told us to get a life or something...

Apple has a new $100 rebate promo for education that ends June 25th. Change my vote to late June.

http://apple.com/go/savenow

(Found in this MacRumors forum post).

Voch
( Last edited by Voch; May 6, 2005 at 01:38 PM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2005, 01:20 PM

Ok.
I thought you were all talking about g5 Ibooks, but it seems like you mean a speed bump to the g4 cpu, graphics etc....
The title or description isn't that clear... oh well i'll go and re-take the poll.

Sean

P.s Since I can't re-take the poll, my vote is SECOND HALF OF MAY!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by D'Espice
Dudes, you SOOOOOO need a life... nobody knows for sure since Apple won't tell. So why don't you just sit back and relax
lol!

You know, in some ways the best part is waiting, the anticipation, the wanting. On the other hand, that'll probably make it all the much worse if it's nothing but a small speed bump or such (I'm hoping for a case redesign, and a slightly better GPU!)

We'll get a life when the iBooks are updated, dammit!

storer
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 07:22 PM

BTW, WWDC is in early June, I think. Might be 6th-10th off the top of my head.

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 12:19 AM

Hmmm... That will make one whole month of waiting. Maby i'll just buy the 12" G4 iBook 1,2Ghz right away, but i don't actuall need one today and i could wait. But i'm not sure if i want to (atleast not for a really long period of time), and i would especially not want to wait until the end of the summer.

One thing is for sure, and that is that no update will come today atleast. But why would apple release an iBook on WWDC, since that focuses on Tiger... hmmm ... maby to show how well tiger is also on an iBook or something...

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 03:18 AM

Just viewed Steve Jobs Keynote from MacWorld 2005 conference, and there he announced i.e.the Mac mini and iPod shuffle...

He is holding a keynote at WWDC and i think that atleast something is to be released there so that the sentence "so whats next?!" can be said and also "starting from today, the new xxx will be relased"

but this is just speculations
( Last edited by toffe; May 7, 2005 at 05:45 AM. )

Kreamy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 01:26 PM

Well, i don't feel that a redesign is in order, at least not a major one. The iBook design is a signature now, ntm it looks gorgeous

I don't think that we'll be seeing a PB G5 before the holiday season, iBooks even later. While i do use a G5 at home, and it is faster for movie editing, 3d etc. I fail to see the need for it in the iBook line, remember that the system was designed for students, they need something rugged, something small, that LASTS a long time (i assume that G5 will tear through batteries) and something that is within an acceptable price range.

I think at least the next 2 updates will keep the iBook on the G4 train. On a speculatory sidenote, i think that the next iBooks should see a 1.42Ghz proc on the high end and 1.33 on the low, paired with a 9600

Personally, the only graphics-intensive apps that i play on my iBook are Generals and Warcraft 3, and both really don't need any more than what i have, so i think i'll skip on the update

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 02:15 PM

Actually, the only reason i'm waiting still is that i would like that the iBook could handle core-image since that's something that is supposed to be so nice about Tiger.
And i imagine that developers will take advantage of this when developing apps for Tiger.

It would be nice to place the order soon, since i want to start using iLife and such (it will be my first mac ever). Since it's summer holiday, i'll have time to play around with iMovie and stuff.

But i don't dare to order now since i would be dissapointed if there came out an upgrade real soon.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 02:17 PM

A concern for any iBook CPU and GPU update is heat. It's the reason why I'm generally avoiding the 12" PowerBook...I would have upgraded to one by now if they weren't griddles. I hope the iBook can stay the cool-running quiet machine it always has been.

Voch

zenwhen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by toffe
Hmmm... That will make one whole month of waiting. Maby i'll just buy the 12" G4 iBook 1,2Ghz right away
That is what I did. I have a great laptop, today. It will have great resale value. I will be able to upgrade if they are that great.

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 02:28 AM

Today is [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tuesday[/FONT]... (I'm deraming)
Wouldn't it be just awesome if something happened with the iBooks at the apple store today (which i don't think it will) - But hey, one can always dream...

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by zenwhen
That is what I did. I have a great laptop, today. It will have great resale value. I will be able to upgrade if they are that great.
On the other hand, you won't be able to get the same value it had when you bought it, and you'll either lose $$$ on upgrading to a new iBook, or simply miss out on what all of us who were able to wait are gonna get.

P.S. I'm just teasing. I've got to justify my waiting! It's all in how you look at it. But I think there will be at least a modest update to the iBook before summer's end.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2005, 01:41 PM

At this point... I'm not sure... but when it does come out... I'll be saying "maybe I should wait for the PowerBook update"

BKKloppenborg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 05:09 PM

i think i will be around the first month of June at the latest Mid june

Forum Links
Forum Rules