Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless Networking Woes

Wireless Networking Woes
jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 10:28 AM

Hi all,
It's time for me to admit that the pack has caught up to me. When I first moved into my condo 3 years ago, there was only one viewable wireless network, which left me with plenty of conflict-free space to work with. Now, there are 27 wireless networks in my area and life is getting to be a pain. I suffer from multiple dropouts daily, and I have not been able to find a channel that ameliorates the problem. It sometimes takes up to 15-20 minutes for these dropouts to resolve, although sometimes powering down and up the router clears it up faster.

How can I escape from this wireless hell? I was thinking of buying or building an antenna hoping that would let me overpower any signal that dared to cross my threshhold. Will that work? Is there something else I can try?

I am using a Buffalo AirStation WBR-G54 with the latest firmware. It is in Autosensing wireless mode, and the signal is encrypted with WPA-psk. I am connecting to it with a Titanium PowerBook with the original Airport card, a Tablet PC with an 802.11B centrino, my fiancee's PC with an 802.11G card, a Beige G4 connected through wired ethernet, and ReplayTV connected through wired ethernet. When the interference happens, all active wireless connections drop at the same time, but the wired desktop runs fine.

Thanks in advance
-- Jason

John Strung
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 02:18 PM

Are you sure it is the other wireless networks that are causing the problem, and not something local, like a wireless telephone?

You might consider directional antennae to see if that helps. D-Link makes a directional antenna for about $30.

See also:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=250588

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects...ate/index.html

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 02:34 PM

We're a cell phone only house, so any telephone interference is coming from the neighbors. Even if it is that, what would a good solution to that be?
-- Jason

John Strung
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 03:09 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules