Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Motion Letdown!

Motion Letdown!
louh
Forum Regular
May 24, 2007, 09:42 AM

I was just informed that I can not buy Motion 3 as a stand alone product. I was also informed that this was the case with Motion 2 but I didn't feel I needed that upgrade, which explains my lack of an earlier inquiry. At one point in the past there was a $499 upgrade with Motion that offered Final Cut Studio. I didn't really care about purchasing a package upgrade of Final Cut Studio, because I NEVER thought that Motion would ONLY be part of a package.

I would really like to continue to use upgrades of Motion. This is a big let-down. A company should not come out with a stand alone product and then bundle it at a later date with other software that one may not find useful. Adobe lets one purchase all of their products as stand alone or in 'Suites'. Apple should do the same. This really is not a fair practice and I really feel that it should not legally be allowed. At the very least it is totally unethical. This is by far the worst case ever of feeling that I have been taken by Apple.

Am I wrong here in my above complaint. I tried posting this on the Apple site and they deleted it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2007, 11:08 AM

Apple took applications that previously cost thousands (even tens of thousands for some afaik) of dollars and bundled them to a package that is $1300 as a whole. If you only need one app out of the bundle you might not save a lot from having to buy the bundle, but you certainly aren't worse off than with the previous owners.

jasong
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 10:36 PM

Should they continue offering the apps as standalone? Of course they should. But they don't, and there really isn't anything unethical or illegal about it. I would certainly send Apple a polite letter/email of complaint about it so they know you are unhappy with their policy.
-- Jason

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
May 27, 2007, 12:45 PM

Yeah you all are correct. I should be happy with what I have and if I ever make the jump to pro-level, it won't break the bank. I did write apple a polite side note to let them know how I feel.
Thanks for the fresh perspective.
Lou

Forum Links
Forum Rules