Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Programs launch too slow

Programs launch too slow
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 07:29 AM

Why is it that programs take 5 - 10 times longer to launch in OS X than in a windows environment? When you launch the same program the second time it is about the same speed as launching in Windows but the first launch is painful, especially for PS and Quark.

Has this been improved in 10.5?

aehaas

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 07:43 AM

How much RAM do you have?
Signature depreciated.

Cold Warrior
Jul 28, 2007, 10:24 AM

And what are your computer's specs -- something ancient and an old release of OS X?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
Why is it that programs take 5 - 10 times longer to launch in OS X than in a windows environment? When you launch the same program the second time it is about the same speed as launching in Windows but the first launch is painful, especially for PS and Quark.

Has this been improved in 10.5?

aehaas
Apart from 5 to 10x longer being something of an exaggeration, iirc (and I could be very wrong), it is primarily because Windows cheats and loads many application frameworks during the startup and login procedure, whereas OS X doesn't. There are obvious ramifications to both ways of approaching this, but the serious flaw with Windows (if this is indeed what happens) is that the OS immediately uses more resources than it needs to, takes much longer to start and there is sod all you can do about it.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 12:52 PM

Hard drive speed (and amount of free space) and amount of free RAM will dramatically change launch times.

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 02:19 PM

It is interesting that my profile did not show up. I run the MacBook Pro 2.4 with 4 G RAM and the 7,200 RPM drive, all OEM, Apple. Also, the DP 2.7 with 4 G RAM and two 400 G 7,200 drives.

aehaas

PS It looks like my profile got lost so I did it over.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 02:44 PM

Are you running the latest Universal versions of these programs, or the older PPC versions? Non-Intel native apps will take longer to load.
-- Jason

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 02:49 PM

Quark 7.2, universal, PS CS3, universal, WorldBook Tiger Edition, unknown, Quicken 2006, unkown, to name a few. These are all very slow to launch.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 04:02 PM

How many fonts on your OS X system relative to your Windows one? For Quark and PS one of the slowest stages is the loading of the fonts.

I believe that WorldBook and Quicken 2006 are non-universal apps.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
Quark 7.2, universal, PS CS3, universal, WorldBook Tiger Edition, unknown, Quicken 2006, unkown, to name a few. These are all very slow to launch.

aehaas
Wow... CS3 launches in 3 bounces on my Macbook c2d, 2.0 ghz, 2 gb ram. That's VERY odd about yours.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
Wow... CS3 launches in 3 bounces on my Macbook c2d, 2.0 ghz, 2 gb ram. That's VERY odd about yours.
3 bounces and you're ready to go, or 3 bounces and then you watch the splash screen for a while?

jtrwallace
Jul 28, 2007, 06:03 PM

Yeah, that's just something OS X does to make it so that the OS isn't slow to start up and doesn't constantly use resources. But, its just the first time... I never restart my computer so why don't you just never restart it? You'll have no problems then.
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro | 256 MB VRAM | 3.0 GB RAM | 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD
Airport Extreme Base Station (n) | Airport Express Base Station (g)
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse | (And an iPhone SOON *crosses fingers) GOT THE IPHONE!
iPod Nano Product (RED)

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
3 bounces and you're ready to go, or 3 bounces and then you watch the splash screen for a while?
3 bounes until the splash, which stays for about 2 seconds.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 08:04 AM

Something is wrong with the system, mine is well below your spec but much faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules