Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Refurb iPhone Experiences?

Refurb iPhone Experiences?
ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2009, 11:16 AM

Who's bought a refurb iPhone, particularly a 3G iPhone? How has that worked, and what do you think of the phone? AT&T is coy about revealing what sort of warranty comes with refurb iPhones-what warranty does Apple provide on them?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2009, 01:03 PM

Wouldn't the standard Apple warranty apply, since it's a Apple product ?
Apple gives 1 year, even on refurbed Macs and iPods. I would think the same would apply for iPhones 3G.

-t

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 12, 2009, 01:36 PM

You'd think it was the standard, but AT&T makes it difficult to determine this, and I haven't found refurb iPhones on the Apple Store site to check. AT&T does give a link for questions about the warranty, but it goes to Apple's "check my warranty" page and requires a serial number, so it's useless for casual inquiries...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You'd think it was the standard, but AT&T makes it difficult to determine this, and I haven't found refurb iPhones on the Apple Store site to check. AT&T does give a link for questions about the warranty, but it goes to Apple's "check my warranty" page and requires a serial number, so it's useless for casual inquiries...
How about calling Apple and asking ?

Plus, I can't imagine Apple treating refurbed iPhones from their own store differently than refurbed iPhones sold by AT&T.
On the other hand, reports seem to indicate that this is indeed the case.

Maybe you should wait until a refurbed iPhone 3G pops up in the Apple Store.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2009, 02:59 PM

Also, see this discussion.

No. My refurbished iphone 3g warranty goes into Oct 2010. It depends completely on when the previous owner bought it, and if they got any extra protection. It is 90 days minimum. Usually it is much longer.
Mind, this is anecdotal only.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2009, 03:03 PM

The more I google this, the more inconsistencies I find. Look at this:

One possible way to go: buy it from AT&T as long as it has that sticker, and use a credit card that has a free extended warranty (like Amex's.)

That way, you are covered even if AT&T suddenly decides to be shady about it.

-t

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 12, 2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
One possible way to go: buy it from AT&T as long as it has that sticker, and use a credit card that has a free extended warranty (like Amex's.)

That way, you are covered even if AT&T suddenly decides to be shady about it.

-t
That looks like the way to go in any case. I need to work out what changes (beyond the data plan) I need to make to my current service with AT&T, so I'd go to them no matter what. Using a good credit card just makes sense.

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2009, 08:56 PM

I bought my refurbished 16gb 3g iPhone from AT&T back in December, and it's perfect. No scratches, no dings, no nothing bad. Just an iPhone 3g at $100 off. The warranty is the standard iPhone warranty based on the original purchase date of the iPhone or 90 days, whichever is longer. So it's not that AT&T is being coy, it's that they can't tell you how long is left on the warranty because it is dependent on the phone itself.

I highly recommend getting a refurbished, it was a great deal and I don't regret it in the least.
-- Jason

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 19, 2009, 08:56 PM

jasong, thanks for the info. I talked to an AT&T sales guy today and he basically said the same thing about the warranty. I just don't like how their web site doesn't simply say exactly what you did; why not?

Since my wife and I are now considering this, replacing two RAZRs with iPhones on our current account would add at least $60/month to the bill-not terribly economically feasible at the moment. We'll have to see where our currently "fluid" employment situations take us before we go much farther with this research.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 19, 2009, 09:40 PM

My wife and I bought refurb 3Gs from the ATT website. Both arrived flawless and we couldn't be happier

Forum Links
Forum Rules