Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook G4 Combo Drive/SuperDrive Firmware updates

PowerBook G4 Combo Drive/SuperDrive Firmware updates
jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 01:01 PM

Hey I was on Macintouch today and they have an article saying that Dantz is distributing firmware updates for the CW-8121 (combo drive) and UJ-815 (SuperDrive). The SuperDrive updater will bring the PowerBook G4 to D0CB.

Article on Dantz Web Site

-- Jason

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 05:05 PM

Looks like it updates older firmware to D0CB, much like the firmware that's been loose in the wild online here does. Be careful you don't use it on a 17" PB and *downgrade* your firmware--that would be bad.

I've been paranoid and hedging on using this, but now I'll take the leap and update my TiBook...you shouldn't see any problems with D0CB on a 15" TiBook w/Superdrive.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 17, 2003, 07:44 PM

Yes, let me repeat that THE 17" OWNERS SHOULD NOT UPDATE WITH D0CB. Many have done this already because they didn't pay attention and thought it was a region free update.

Anyways, it seems the TiBooks are now coming with D0CB so it can't hurt to upgrade the TiBook SDs... unless of course something goes wrong and you bung up the update, rendering the drive completely useless.

BTW, my December TiBook has been D0CB for several months. (I was the second guinea pig on this forum to try it, with that updater in the wild.)

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 08:11 PM

so what will updating do for me? (december Tibook SD)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 17, 2003, 09:10 PM

PowerBook G4 SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
The MKE (MATSHITA) UJ-815 SuperDrive requires firmware revision D0CB or later and Retrospect 5.0 with Retrospect Driver Update 3.6.106 or later.

The Apple UF-815 firmware updater is for customers with earlier versions of the PowerBook G4 with pre-D0CB firmware. It updates the UJ-815 firmware to D0CB. The Apple UJ-815 firmware update requires Mac OS X to update.

Although the Apple UJ-815 firmware updater is available for download from the Dantz Web site, it is provided "as is" by Dantz Development. Please contact Apple in the unlikely event that you encounter problems with the UJ-815 firmware updater or with non Retrospect CD or DVD authoring software after applying the firmware update.

This update is available from:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/fw_UJ-815.sit

Directions for installing the UJ-815 firmware update:
1. Boot the computer into Mac OS X. This updater does not support Mac OS 9.
2. Uncompress the download archive using Stuffit Expander.
3. Quit all running applications and close all open windows.
4. Eject any media that is in the drive.
5. Launch "Update UJ-815 to D0CB" to start the firmware update process.
6. Enter your user name and password then click OK.
7. Read the attention notice and then click Continue if your drive is ready to be updated.
8. Click Update. The update process can take up to a few minutes to complete. Please be patient.
9. Click Restart when the update is complete.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 11:11 PM

Updated...and it seems to be running fine.
Curious to see if I get fewer coasters.

damieng
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2003, 12:58 PM

My brand new replacement TiBook 15" was supplied with D0CB firmware on the Superdrive.

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2003, 01:23 PM

I'm sorry, but could someone back up to the very basic question of what the advantages are to doing this (i.e. why should one apply it)? How will the SuperDrive perform differently with it?

Eugwanker,I Iooked at your description and instructions, but I still wasn't able to figure it out from there.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules