Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Macromedia Studio MX 2004

Macromedia Studio MX 2004
jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 10:09 PM

Anyone got it to work in Panther? I did an Archive and Install over 10.2.8. I have never used a Panther pre-release. The icons bounce in the dock for a bit and then it disappears without saying anything. I have tried reinstalling and the installer goes berserk.

Oddly enough, my copy of Dreamweaver MX works fine . . .

-- Jason

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 10:39 PM

I'm having the same problem. I thought the archive and install option may have screwed things up so I just tried reinstalling..same problem. Anyone have a clue?

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2003, 10:47 PM

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I found the same solution at http://www.macromedia.com/support/se...ve_install.htm

Worked for me. The instructions say 10.2.8, but it is the same issue in 10.3 with Archive and Install.

-- Jason

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 27, 2003, 07:06 AM

hmm, have they inadvertently told people how to reset the trial versions?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
hmm, have they inadvertently told people how to reset the trial versions?
I doubt it.

But if this doesnt work to reset the trials you could always wipe your disk clean for a fresh install. cheap...yes. waste of time...yes.

Studio MX 04 is great upgrade...worth the price. If you use the stuff everyday.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 27, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
i disagree. i see Fireworks MX 2004 as a step back from MX in a few ways. i'm sticking with MX, thanks.

Dreamweaver MX 2004 is a touch better than MX, certainly from a visual CSS point of view. i haven't really spent much time with Flash MX 2004 yet, but i've heard more than enough complaining about it.

i'd love to know what kind of things their beta people actually test for, as their applications usability mostly seems to go flush the pan with each release. maybe the beta people all work for Adobe on the sly, and it's a bizarre kind of sabotage. heh.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 04:44 PM

And if you have the time to wait for the apps to start... or to do anything at all, actually. Simply switching between DW and other apps, or sometimes even between open document windows inside DW, is just painfully slow, and make me wonder whether MM programmed everything in DW in JavaScript.

FW MX had sheets, FW MX 04 does not anymore... now that's new: developping backwards!(*) I'd also be prepared to bet against MM's claim of "85% faster".

Flash MX also is very speedy compared to sluggish Flash MX 04. Even MM aknowledges this: see/hear their earnings presentations, slide 42.

(*)But then, now Flash has sheets, so maybe in '05, Dreamweaver will have sheets?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 07:08 AM

:sitting on sidelines with my DW MX:

I'm sorry to hear about all the difficulties with DW 04. Very discouraging since MX seems sloppy enough to me - a poster child for careless, customer-abusing software.

To show my age, it reminds me of Pagemaker - not the venerable, stable v.6.5 by Adobe (actually created by Aldus) - but the v. 1.2...

a great concept that was executed poorly.

It's as though MM thinks Mac users are expendable... 'cause I'm sure not upgrading till the performance / quality control improves.

ChrisMBarrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 01:44 PM

Getting back to the main thread.

Has anyone come up with a solution, because the MM Support thread does not work.

Even after deleting all reference to MM on the machine and re-installing Studio MX 2004, all of the applications jump up and down and then quit.

Any suggestions?

mikemako
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 05:58 PM

I use only Dreamweaver MX.. not flash or fireworks, I haven't gotten that far yet. I build the website for my band and have found DW MX to be very easy to use.. I actually started with DW 4 and then MX and now MX 04..

Is there another program I could use to build our site that is as easy as DW but maybe a little more responsive and with more adherence to OS X UI guidelines? How is Adobe's rendition of this application? Or has anyone heard if MM is going to release a patch that miraculously optimizes MX 04 for OS X?
( Last edited by mikemako; Oct 29, 2003 at 06:04 PM. )
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by ChrisMBarrett:
Getting back to the main thread.

Has anyone come up with a solution, because the MM Support thread does not work.

Even after deleting all reference to MM on the machine and re-installing Studio MX 2004, all of the applications jump up and down and then quit.

Any suggestions?
I can't seem to find where I read it, but possibly your problem could be related to MX 04's activation. The solution was, I think, to not only delete the Macromedia stuff prior to re-install, but also /Library/Application Support/Macrovision.

It does say differently here however, so use caution!

You could try and search MM webforums.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 06:22 AM

similar prob here. fireworks and freehand will launch and work on my pismo but dreamweaver and flash won't.... just bounce in the dock for a while and then disappear. console giving the following error:

Code:
Authentication Service: Started Xerces Panic Error: Could not load a local code page transcoder
interestingly tho', if i log in as root, flash and DW will run fine. they also both run fine on my G4 p/book, so the problems only seem to happen when i'm logged in as non-root on the pismo. this *has* to be a permissions problem, doesn't it? - yet fixing permissions disnae help.

another interesting note; when i installed the apps on the pismo, the terms of the licence agreement where empty. i thought it was just a flaw in the CD [picked up an MX studio demo CD], however when installing on the G4 or installing on the G3 while logged in as root, the terms of the licence agreement were there as expected - and those are the two installs that work.

most peculiar!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 24, 2003, 09:28 AM

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHICH EDITION OF DREAMWEAVER IS DUE TO SAVE PALETTE POSITIONS AND FRIGGIN' PREFERENCES!? I AM SICK TO DEATH OF HAVING TO MANUALLY OPEN THEM, EVERY OTHER TIME I OPEN THE DAMN APPLICATION

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 09:38 AM

you're upset aren't you?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 24, 2003, 09:45 AM

upset? not yet. i'm going to be soon though.

Fireworks lets you save your palette layout. Flash gives you an option to option several different palette layouts. they behave properly.

Dreamweaver misbehaves like a Gallagher brother, and is twice as annoying. WHY are there no options to save the palette set!? absolutely ridiculous.

i could murder a pint right now, but i'd rather murder the entire Dreamweaver team first. that's how serious this is becoming.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
WHICH EDITION OF DREAMWEAVER IS DUE TO SAVE PALETTE POSITIONS AND FRIGGIN' PREFERENCES!?
Dreamweaver XXL 2006 (Windows Longhorn only), maybe?

Oh, sorry, I forgot: under Windows it's probably not necessary to do this as the UI simply works there (my guess).

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by workerbee:
Dreamweaver XXL 2006 (Windows Longhorn only), maybe?

Oh, sorry, I forgot: under Windows it's probably not necessary to do this as the UI simply works there (my guess).
the UI on the windows version is great...i installed it on my pc tho... may try to do all my work through RDC eventually if DW doesnt get a little faster in OSX

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 07:07 PM

may try to do all my work through RDC eventually if DW doesnt get a little faster in OSX
Now if this isn't a sad situation, I don't know what is...
But MM take note: before you can force me to Windows, I'll have a good long look at Adobe's offerings.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 24, 2003, 07:14 PM

But MM take note: before you can force me to Windows, I'll have a good long look at Adobe's offerings.
exactly. they're pretty much herding people into Adobe's arms. maybe if they got some real coders, and some decent beta testers*, then the applications would be a lot better than they are at present.

*if anyone reading this is actually an official Macromedia beta tester, then go and stick your head in a bucket of ice cold water, because you clearly slept through the entire beta program.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 04:43 PM

OK. this is now officially insanity inducing!

after trying everything i could think off, i couldnae get either dreamweaver or flash to launch under my account [they would launch no prob when logged in as another user or as root]:

dreamweaver bounces in the dock for about half a second and then dies. flash gets to the "initializing fonts..." stage each time before it bombs out.

so i bit the bullet and did a complete format + clean install of panther. tried to install DW and flash again and... joy of joys! the installer displayed the agreement properly. [remember, this was one of the 'harbingers of doom' before - the installer agreement was blank when viewed in the account under which DW and flash wouldn't launch, but appeared as normal in all other accounts where DW and flash would launch].

anyway, i installed and both DW and flash worked as expected - hurray!!! then i started copying my old prefs over from the backup i'd made before doing the clean system install - making sure not to bring in any of the old macromedia ones. after copying all the old stuff over, i launched DW again and... WTF!!!! it's back to crashing in flames again! fire up the installer and the bastard agreement is blank! - how in the name of satan's bollox can this happen?! i've tried doing [yet another!] archive and install of panther and still DW and flash are f**ked.

i'm ready to throw the comp through the feckin window at the minute. how can adding other apps or copying other apps' preferences across from a backup cause DW and flash to completely f**k up so bad that only a complete reformat and clean install [which i'm not prepared to do again - life's too short!] will fix the problem.

can anyone shed any light on this before i run out of hear to tear out and have to start ripping chunks out of my scalp?

[PS tried the solution on macromedia's website and it did not work!]

[ x infinity]

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 07:48 PM

hmm... nope. works flawless on my two machines after Panther upgrades.

At least you identified the problem yourself.

good luck.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
anyway, i installed and both DW and flash worked as expected - hurray!!! then i started copying my old prefs over from the backup i'd made before doing the clean system install - making sure not to bring in any of the old macromedia ones. after copying all the old stuff over, i launched DW again and... WTF!!!! it's back to crashing in flames again! fire up the installer and the bastard agreement is blank!
Did you copy anything that could somehow touch the stupid Macrovision thing MM is using nowadays?

You may have copied over this stuff with your backup -- I saw this on the MM webforum:
I found the solution! You need to delete the Macrovision folder from HD:System:Library.
From DW group.

Good luck!

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 09:40 AM

.......Did you copy anything that could somehow touch the stupid Macrovision thing MM is using nowadays?

You may have copied over this stuff with your backup -- I saw this on the MM webforum.......
no. i'd already read all that guff on the macromedia forum, so i made a point of only copying prefs from my backup into my clean install that were *definitely not* anything to do with macromedia, macrovision or mindvision.

the crazy thing is that this only happens with my main user account. all other accounts on my comp can install and run both apps no problem. yet once the apps 'die' like this on my main user account, there is absolutely no way to revive them. i've tried deleteing every pref in sight [and out of sight - invisible ones too!]. i've tried re-installing the apps again. i've tried macromedia's 'hotfix' supposed solution. i've tried archive and installing panther again. and nothing works. the only joy i've had [albeit short-lived] was with doing a reformat and clean install.

the problem is obviously just with this one user account. something i am copying over from my backup is destroying DW and flash - yet i am not copying over anything which could be remotely connected with either of those two apps [or macromedia, macrovision or mindvision]. it's like a corrupted pref from a completely unrelated app is somehow breaking DW and flash. how can this be?

[ x infinity]+1

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 12:01 PM

<<<< picture goes all wibbly wobbly as we leap forward 9 months in time >>>

shite!shite!shite!shite!shite!

why didn't i bother posting my eventual solution to this last time it happened?!

for lo' the dreaded studio MX bug is back with a vengeance after updating to 10,3,5.... and i cannae remember what i did to [eventually!] solve the problem last time. i have a vague recollection that it was sommit to do wi a corrupt font [and i think one of the low level system ones, at that] but i've tried replacing all the fonts in /system/library/fonts and /library/fonts with nice new ones from the panther installer CDs, but still no luck.

i have suspicions about keyboard.dfont and lastresort.dfont from /system/library/fonts as, shortly before suitcase crashed and burned on me the other day, it flashed up a message for a nanosecond, which i'm fairly sure mentioned those two. however i've replaced them several times with no luck and fontdoctor reckons everything's hunky dory. the strange thing is tho' that neither of those two fonts lists in fontbook under 'computer' [ tho' the rest do] and double-clicking them opens font book but does not display them. is it possible that something is instantly corrupting these two fonts, every time i add fresh copies of them to my system, or am i barking up the wrong tree here?

doh! i'm sure i must have posted the solution somewhere, last time i had this prob. only a complete selfish git would have kept it to himself... and we all know what a wonderful, warm, caring individual i am!

workerbee
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<<<< picture goes all wibbly wobbly as we leap forward 9 months in time >>>

shite!shite!shite!shite!shite!

why didn't i bother posting my eventual solution to this last time it happened?!

for lo' the dreaded studio MX bug is back with a vengeance after updating to 10,3,5.... and i cannae remember what i did to [eventually!] solve the problem last time. i have a vague recollection that it was sommit to do wi a corrupt font [and i think one of the low level system ones, at that] but i've tried replacing all the fonts in /system/library/fonts and /library/fonts with nice new ones from the panther installer CDs, but still no luck.
I had strange font-related problems a while back, too. I completely rebuilt all system font folders from the installation DVD, using Pacifist, and ditched FontBook for FontAgent. (Actually, I had no idea what was going on at all until I noticed that FB had gone all screwy). Since then, everything is running smoothly (including the MX 04 suite).

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules