Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Sharing and Playlists

iTunes Sharing and Playlists
jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 06:52 PM

I've got an old Beige G3 (upgraded to a G4) that I am using as a music server. My current setup is I rip my CDs into iTunes on that machine using Apple Lossless. I then share the music to my other computers. The problem with this setup is that I have to create my playlists on that server machine, so if I am feeling creative, I either need to go to that room, or VNC over.

Is there any way I can create playlists on my other computers that reference shared music? I would think this would be easy since I can add iTMS 30 second clips to my playlists.
-- Jason

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2005, 09:42 PM

I don't know of any way you can do this using iTunes music sharing. The whole idea is that you can listen to, but not manipulate, the songs on the other machine.

The best way I know of to do what you want would be to get an external FW drive or Network Attached Storage (just something all machines on your network can see) and then add the songs directly to each machine's library from there. In other words, you'd need to put to music in a neutral location that all machines can access directly w/o having to go through iTunes Music Sharing.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has another solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules