Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes: Multi-album tagging

iTunes: Multi-album tagging
jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2006, 03:54 PM

Hi all, I am sure this is a common problem but I want to see if anyone has a better solution than I do.

I have songs that appear on more than one album. My PowerBook has somewhat limited space so I would rather not have multiple copies of identical songs on there, but there doesn't appear to be a way of saying a song appears on more than one album. So my options appear to be either have multiple copies of the song with the individual album information in each one, or have one copy, but then be unable to simply select that album in iTunes or my iPod and listen to every song. What I am doing now is picking one copy, deleting the rest, and then creating a folder with the artists name, and then making playlists of each individual album and dragging the songs into that playlist. This way I have one copy of the song, and can use my playlists to listen to an entire album. This is a PITA because A) I have to manually deal with this rather than using the nice meta-data that iTunes automatically appends, B) on my iPod especially, I need to constantly shift back and forth between playlists and albums and artists depending on what I want to listen to, C) well, it just is a PITA.

Anyone have a better way of doing this? Is there some great iTunes feature to handle this that I have somehow missed? Does another player do this (not that I am going to switch, btu I just want to know if someone else has tackled the problem)?

Thanks,
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules