Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Palm updates???

Palm updates???
Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2004, 07:49 AM

Any know if Palm will update their line up anytime soon since they just kinda updated OS5? How long did they take to update the T2 to the T3. I remember reading somewhere that it was soon after releasing the T2 that they came out with the T3 and that annoyed some people.

Someone is coming here to Australia from the States and I'm thinking of asking him to pick me up a T3 but he leaves in a couple days. I'm seriously thinking of getting the T3 but am weary 'cause of it's short battery life, no wifi and the possibility of it getting upgraded. I do like it though for it's large screen size. I'll be using it mostly for medical purposes (med programs and such). I also recall that the T3 didn't cope well with larger sd cards (256)?

I really don't want to buy it then find out that Palm will release a new line up the week later!!!

Hope all you Palm users can help!!!! Soon!!!!!!

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 11:16 AM

They're coming out with OS 6 devices sometime this spring. Nobody knows when or what. The T3 is supposed to be upgradable to OS 6, however Palm has decided to drop Mac syncing support for OS 6. So your best bet would be a T3.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2004, 11:39 AM

I've just read about the dropping of the Mac for Palm OS 6 (Cobalt). Why? Is it really that difficult to write a basic bit of Mac software?

Mind you they can't be bothered to make Palm Desktop work with Panther properly either.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

new newton
Banned
Feb 11, 2004, 11:51 AM

It's a company without the resources to do the job. PalmSource just sells the OS, and the device makers (Sony, PalmOne) are responsible for making the OS tailored to their devices. They also choose the bundled software, and now it looks like PalmSource is going to make them responsible for Mac compatibility as well.

PalmSource's new strategy strikes me as bound for failure as far as dual-track OS development is concerned. They'll have a lot more to worry about than just Mac compatibility.

Tiny-E  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 01:11 AM

Has Palm dropped Mac support on their new OS "cobalt" (the revised OS 5?)?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by Tiny-E:
Has Palm dropped Mac support on their new OS "cobalt" (the revised OS 5?)?
Cobalt = OS 6
Garnet = 0S 5

Okay, anyone else think that "Garnet" is a really, really, AWFUL word? Cobalt is kinda cool and slick sounding, Garnet just sounds like something you put in the laundry.

Tiny-E  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 06:40 AM

Anyone know what the new palm OS features are from OS 5 besides DROPPING Mac support?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2004, 08:03 AM

brighthand.com has info I think.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 13, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Tiny-E:
Anyone know what the new palm OS features are from OS 5 besides DROPPING Mac support?
Have a look atthis PalmSource page. Mutlitasking definitely is a big feature.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
They're coming out with OS 6 devices sometime this spring. Nobody knows when or what. The T3 is supposed to be upgradable to OS 6, however Palm has decided to drop Mac syncing support for OS 6. So your best bet would be a T3.
PalmSource (the OS developer) is not developing Mac software. PalmOne (the hardware maker) has stated that they are not going with OS 6 for a long time yet and will continue to support the Mac. I would bet that PalmOne will bundle Mac support with their devices once they start using Palm OS 6.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 05:54 PM

I suspect that Apple will continue to support Palm via iCal, Address book and iSync.

Obviously that's only half the story, but it wouldn't take them a lot to allow memo synchronisation along with a couple of other bits.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2004, 08:17 PM

But what I want to know is how hotsync will work without hotsync manager??? All these conduits etc (not that we have that many but Vindigo and Splash Wallet come to mind immediately). Maybe they can just sell the hotync code/license it out to Apple to keep mac compatibility.

Mike

Originally posted by Thorin:
I suspect that Apple will continue to support Palm via iCal, Address book and iSync.

Obviously that's only half the story, but it wouldn't take them a lot to allow memo synchronisation along with a couple of other bits.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Forum Links
Forum Rules