Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Where did Apple get the nerve to charge $30 to fix an iPod after 6 months!!?

Where did Apple get the nerve to charge $30 to fix an iPod after 6 months!!?
Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2004, 07:40 PM

The iPod has a 1 YEAR warranty. It says nothing on the outside of the box about having to pay $30 US bucks after 6 months.

My 8 month old iPod has the famous battery problem (4 hours tops), the FWD button don't respond half the time even though it was never dropped. Now I though I can get it fixed for free under warranty but NO, Apple wants a stupid high amount of money to ship it to them!

They really deserve all the bad press they are getting about the battery.

"If it's broke, you choke."

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 08:03 PM

had almost the same problem with my 8 month old iPod.... 2.5 hours of charge. What does the guy at the apple store tell me?...

"The ipod warranty is only 180 days. You have to buy applecare."

So, I have a new ipod and its covered for two years, but I think they should be a little more clear about their warranty package. The iPod is expensive enough...spending another 70 dollars because their batteries are **** is ridiculous.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2004, 08:03 PM

A bit lame, but it's in the fine print. The warranty is 1 year, but after 6 months there is a small handling fee:

Warranty info

If a defect arises and a valid claim is received by Apple after the first one hundred and eighty (180) days of the Warranty Period, a shipping and handling charge will apply to any repair or exchange of the product undertaken by Apple

Vader�s Pinch of Death  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
A bit lame, but it's in the fine print. The warranty is 1 year, but after 6 months there is a small handling fee:

Warranty info

If a defect arises and a valid claim is received by Apple after the first one hundred and eighty (180) days of the Warranty Period, a shipping and handling charge will apply to any repair or exchange of the product undertaken by Apple
It is on the INSIDE of the box and $48 Can is not a small fee.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
It is on the INSIDE of the box and $48 Can is not a small fee.
It's on the website, and the full fine print is never on the outside of the box.

Anyways consider yourself lucky. We're out a functioning iBook. It's true that the iBook failed outside of warranty, but Apple is fixing some under the G3-iceBook-is-a-lemon plan. However, it just so happens this iceBook does not qualify the fix despite the fact it has the exact same problem.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 09:48 PM

Take it to the Apple store and possibly Apple authorized repair places. They will troubleshoot/replace without the shipping fee.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 11:39 PM

Apple's not alone in pulling this "bait and switch" on the warranty thing -- Phillips pulled the same thing with their Series 1 TiVos. They're advertised with a 1-year warranty, but if it breaks after the first three months, they charge you $100 to fix it! Some warranty!

And I don't understand how they can justify charging these fees for a product that is still supposedly under warranty.. It's not like the units are any harder to handle after 9 months than after 3 months. If they insist on charging the fees after three or six months, they shouldn't advertise it as having a 1-year warranty!

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
Take it to the Apple store and possibly Apple authorized repair places. They will troubleshoot/replace without the shipping fee.
No Apple stores in Canada.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
No Apple stores in Canada.
What about where you bought it? Are they a certified repair shop?

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
What about where you bought it? Are they a certified repair shop?
Last I heard like the Newtons all repairs have to be done by Apple.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Apple's not alone in pulling this "bait and switch" on the warranty thing -- Phillips pulled the same thing with their Series 1 TiVos. They're advertised with a 1-year warranty, but if it breaks after the first three months, they charge you $100 to fix it! Some warranty!
And now that Tivo has taken manufacturing in-house, they have continued with this proud tradition. I just coughed up $99 to have my Tivo series2 fixed under warranty.

Not pleased.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Paco500:
And now that Tivo has taken manufacturing in-house, they have continued with this proud tradition. I just coughed up $99 to have my Tivo series2 fixed under warranty.

Not pleased.
The funny thing is that Phillips has a program to repair out-of-warranty Series I TiVos. The cost? $129.

So, under "warranty" it costs $100 to get them to fix it, but out of "warranty" it costs $129!

Forum Links
Forum Rules