Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Lacie DVD RW Porsche

Lacie DVD RW Porsche
absolut78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2005, 06:28 PM

I need some help from anyone who has ever used these products with a powerbook.

Joe

absolut78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 07:41 PM

I am using a G4 PB Ti 500Mhz. I assume that my USB ports are USB 1.1... I just bought the Slim Lacie DVD RW USB 2.0 off of ebay. It works fine when using the USB Adapter and Power Supply, but when I unplug it (power supply) it just whirs and not much else. Kind of a kick in the pants for portability (sp). If I buy a USB Adapter that gives me USB 2.0 capability and plug that into my PC Card Slot will that fix the problem?

Joe

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 04:45 PM

Well first, you need USB 2 to use that thing. USB 1.1 is just too slow for *any* storage product. USB 1.1 will also not have the juice to power it without an ac adapter. Second, did you buy a a desktop DVDRW or a mobile DVDRW?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2005, 02:50 AM

I'm pretty sure that USB doesn't provide enough power for an external 5 1/4" drive. About all USB can do is keyboards, mice, flash drives, and maybe some of those smaller end HDDs (and I mean those tiny 5GB or smaller.) You'll need the AC adapter no matter what.

What you really wanted was a FireWire DVD/CD+/-RW. FireWire has more power and can bus-power larger devices.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dr.Michael
Jan 26, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by absolut78:
If I buy a USB Adapter that gives me USB 2.0 capability and plug that into my PC Card Slot will that fix the problem?

Joe
No. Usually the pc card adapters don't have a power supply.
I am not sure if a firewire would solve the problem. I have an external firewire cd burner and it needs much more power than firewire can supply. The same with my external fw hd.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
No. Usually the pc card adapters don't have a power supply.
I am not sure if a firewire would solve the problem. I have an external firewire cd burner and it needs much more power than firewire can supply. The same with my external fw hd.
I'm sure it depends on the brand. At my work we have a LaCie Firewire burner and it's buspowered. Same with our portable LaCie 120GB drive.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules