Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ShapeShifter slows window movement down?

ShapeShifter slows window movement down?
MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 10:35 AM

Just tried ShapeShifter 2.1.1 in Tiger 10.4.1 if I move a large window arround the window doesn´t hang with the cursor, it´s like when you resize a window, you move the mouse but the window needs a short time to be moved there too.
Can´t remember that it was like this in Panther, can´t remember which was the latest SS version I tried on that though.
Any one else with this problem?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2005, 10:47 AM

No, and the topic has been brought up before.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MetalSnake  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 11:25 AM

uhm? No nobody has this problem but the topic has ben brought up before? That makes no sense :/

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2005, 11:32 AM

People have asked if SS slows the system down.

What theme are you using? There is a bug with the latest version of SS involving transparent spaces.

MetalSnake  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 11:41 AM

I tried with UnityGk and Fear Platinium 3

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2005, 11:52 AM

Have they been updated for Tiger? That could cause a few problems. Tried any other themes? Was it working all right before the update?

MetalSnake  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 12:10 PM

Don´t know which themes are updated for Tiger. I tried Kamino V2 and NEOS 2.0 now, same probs.
It´s the first time I use ShapeShifter in Tiger, so I don´t know if the OS, SS or the themes are causing this prob.

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 9, 2005, 03:05 PM

It's an OS thing, at least in Panther (or it could just be the speed of my old hardware running the OS). It demonstrates a "magnetic effect" where the window is pulled slightly behind/after the pointer when moving both themed and unthemed windows.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 02:44 AM

I've had a few reports of this from Tiger users. I can't duplicate it myself - it seems to be video card dependent, and it seems to be fairly rare (I'll probably get a bunch of "me too's" now!). I assume it has to do with window server compositing of windows, as it happens only when dragging or resizing windows.

ShapeShifter 2.1.1 was an improvement over 2.1 for Carbon apps, and I hope to still make more improvements in a future version for Cocoa apps, even though I don't experience the issue myself.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 10, 2005, 02:50 AM

Quick question about the development of Shapeshifter, do you work on major versions simultaneously with incremental releases or do you work on getting the kinks out of current versions and then move onto major upgrades when you're satisfied with what's out there?

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 07:47 AM

I work on major releases at the same time I work on incremental releases, but I only concentrate on one at a time, and major releases won't go forward if there are a substantial number of incremental things that need looking after. In other words, major feature stuff has been on hold pretty much continuously since early February, which is when I began working on the Tiger transition. After releasing SS 2.1, I immediately began working on the 2.1.1 update, and I'm about ready to rock a 2.1.2 release. After that, it looks like major release code'll be back on the front-burner again.

Actually, I have worked on major release stuff since February, but only when my brain has needed a break from the mundaneness of bug fixing - probably under 20 hours total, versus probably 1000 hours for Tiger and bug fixes.

Mmmmmwwwhy do ya ask?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 10, 2005, 11:56 AM

Everybody likes the new and shiny so I was just curious as to how your development cycles. There's no point in asking about future plans but at least now I know where things stand on the path to new and shiny :-)

Recto Bold
Jul 12, 2005, 04:28 AM

FWIW, I found the info about the development cycles interesting. More geek info is always appreciated!

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 12, 2005, 07:16 AM

:x 111111111111111111111111

Forum Links
Forum Rules