Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Poll: who is gonna buy the new i-Mac.

Poll: who is gonna buy the new i-Mac.
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 02:30 AM

I am. i wreckon the design will grow own me.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

seabrian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 03:23 AM

waiting for rev2... 17" (i hope)

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 04:14 AM

Me

<jri>
Jan 7, 2002, 04:30 AM

I plan on buying one as soon as possible. My bondi blue is begging for replacement and I would like to have another machine to use my Motu 828 with(I hate being tied at home with my Sawtooth).

scarab
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 04:34 AM

I hope I can cough out enough cash for it... The specs sound so sweet, and the G4 is really nice...

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 04:39 AM

As I need more power and a bigger screen I wont. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 04:41 AM

Wow I'm very impressed.Hope it's a high MHz G4 or I'll be dissapointed.If only the screen was bigger...
I'll see the the keynote and decide then.But I think I'll buy it!!!!

suprz
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 06:13 AM

no way!!!! uuuugggglllyyy.......
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 06:17 AM

i like so need a computer. i dont see myself waiting for revision B. Whenever that is. This i-Mac will surely destroy my 486 running at 100 mhz.I Just hope enty level has 256 mb ram.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2002, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by &lt;jri&gt;:
<STRONG>I plan on buying one as soon as possible. My bondi blue is begging for replacement and I would like to have another machine to use my Motu 828 with(I hate being tied at home with my Sawtooth).</STRONG>
That's exactly what I've been hoping to do - replace my iMac 400 DV.

For audio, I really need it to be a G4 machine (Altivec).

The only problem is the monitor - if it's really only 1024x768, it's no improvement in real estate over my current iMac, and that's *really* getting cramped.

And I'm only doing two-track editing right now - haven't even gotten started with Logic yet!

-chris.

suckfuldotcom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 06:44 AM

Me! I'm all over the new iMac like white on an iBook.

SdC
Do people do anything but whine over at AI Forums, or what?

v0id7
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 09:03 AM

If the article is referring to to the price ($1800) in terms of Canadian currency and the real price is less than $1500, then its a steal and I'd get one. If its $1800 in US currency though....no way.
_______void_______

<CityGuy2003>
Jan 7, 2002, 09:06 AM

1800 is for the ultimate version...superdrive etc...just choosing to get a combo drive over the super drive youll save approx 400...

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 09:15 AM

My girlfriend and I have an iMac 266, 400, Pismo, and Dual-800 (at her studio). We've NO need for one, but I'm finding rationalizations (it's good for the economy--good for America, I need a SuperDrive to use at home, the sun came up today...) to set up my 1-click profile at the Apple Store.

Well, I quit smoking on New Year's Eve (another rationalization), so with the money I save, times 12 months.... .

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 09:36 AM

I don't think I like it.

hayesk
Jan 7, 2002, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by suprz:
<STRONG>no way!!!! uuuugggglllyyy.......</STRONG>
That's what people said about the original iMac.

I remember when the first one came out, all the PC bigots at my job proclaimed how ugly it was. Then they realized how well it was selling and all of a sudden they liked the design.

From that I concluded that PC bigots have no sense of taste and therefore result to measuring everything by specs and numbers.

suprz
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by suprz:
<STRONG>no way!!!! uuuugggglllyyy.......</STRONG>
o.k. i am officially changing my position on the new imac. it does grow on you and it is a very nice design. HOWEVER...i already own an imac and the only real problem that i have with my imac is the limited expandability (ram and airport for the non-tech person). and because of that fact i would not buy the new imac. my next mac will be a G4 (dare i say...G5???) simply because it wil be easier to upgrade and keep "up to date" with the rest of the tech world. but for a first time buyer.......the new imac would be very impressive. now i wonder what the warranty coverage will be on the arm thingy???
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 05:09 PM

I'm in love again.....
Just got home and went to the Apple page.....I sat for 5 minutes drooling on my keyboard.

I'm going to buy one as soon as I have the money for the superdrive model!
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 05:09 PM

iMac is not for me...
But it looks good!

DNA man
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 05:14 PM

I really like the new G4 iMac. It has plenty power for a consumer PC and look really cool. Remember it has to have a look that will last a while. Watch the Wintel people copy the look!

Yeah, I'd own a G4 iMac, but I might wait for a different colour!

DNA man

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: DNA man ]

Group51
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 05:15 PM

I would, its the best kick arse design I have *ever* seen!

But I just bought an iBook in December.

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 05:19 PM

Count me in. I'm definately getting a top of the line, and maybe a low end one as well.

VR6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 05:21 PM

I'll buy one.
Not right away because I'm just blowing the budget on a Disney vacation. But as soon as I've saved up a bit or gotten a nice bonus at work I'll be making DVDs for the whole family.

Richard Clark
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 05:25 PM

I'd like to get one for my son but it's going to be a while.

They're ok. I'm still saving judgment for the most part until I can run it through it's paces at Comp USA or Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Ultimately it's a Cube rounded down with a flat panel display. Why didn't they just attach a monitor to the cube? ..... Oh I forgot...... too expensive, it was never explained and marketed proplerly to succed.

Here's hoping that Steve and company have better luck with this than the Cube.
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Jan 7, 2002, 05:27 PM

Only if Alcatel produces Speedtouch drivers that dont cause kernal panics all the time. Otherwise I have to use Windows 2000. There are many things holding me back.

-Geforce 2MX is still a bit old. A Radeon would have been better.
-The Speedtouch USB driver I mentioned above.
-Quartz is still a bit touchy but maybe at that speed it will be better soon.
-I like to play the odd game or two on my Windows PC and I havent seen one single example of graphics being of higher quality on the Mac. The alpha blending in Open GL sucks most of all. So does the full scene anti-aliasing.
-I need Premiere. I'm not too much into Final Cut at the moment and I dont want to boot into OS9. I need a release version of Photoshop too.
-The screen resolution is too low. The minimum resolution for OSX should be Ti-Book res or 1280x1024. OSX simply look too fat lower than that.

I think thats all. Otherwise I would sell my PC this week and order the iMac right away. So I guess I'll wait. The wait should pay off with a 1Ghz version.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 05:27 PM

I LOVE IT!!

I once thought i wasn't going to buy an iMac again. But this one...I NEED ONE!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 05:44 PM

I'd buy one right now if I hadn't bought a Cube last year. $1,799 for an 800MHz G4 with SuperDrive and a 15-inch LCD? That's incredible. The cheapest tower is $1,699, with no display and CD-RW! When was the last time we were able to say an Apple hardware product was a great value?

If anything should HAPPEN to my Cube, however, I know what I will be buying to replace it!
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 05:59 PM

Yup! I've got a TiBook so the iMac DV+ 450 is going to visit Mr Ebay in the next week or so.
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 06:50 PM

The design rates a 5-star on the NeoMac scale. Way cool. $1299 for the base model with CD-RW is very nice, IMO.

Definitely, I will buy one. It has what I want: an LCD, G4, GeForce 2mx and SuperDrive. It will last an awefully long time, both feature-wise and design-wise.

"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 07:32 PM

I want to buy one if I can raise the money. Maybe with a nice little ADC hardware discount...

The pictures look promising and I think the specs are great. Though it would be cool if the top-of-the-line gets say a GeForce3 Ti200 or something after a while. MWNY?

This must mean a lot for the PowerMacs too. Apple will have to make'em gigahertz machines soon, I guess.

Go Apple!
���

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 07:42 PM

I love the iMac's specs but I don't like the design. I think it would look to weird in my room. Plus, I am not too fond of white. I would rather have Bondi or graphite.

nahaliel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 08:00 PM

starting my job at Hoss's (www.hosss.com) in about a week and as soon as I have about 2 grand saved up im getting the superdrive model.. even though I doubt I'll be using it much at first, with DVD disks being as expensive as they are. Can't wait till those things are being sold in the 100 pack spindle but if I have trouble raising the funds.. I could always go with the 1299 model. either way, I WILL HAVE ONE! Although rev2 will prob have slot load.. oh well.
Don't Mess With Texas

Wanjuro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 08:07 PM

I wanna buy one!!

I own a G4 Cube.. and I am sick of all things square..

Here I can iMac...

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Wanjuro:
<STRONG>I wanna buy one!!

I own a G4 Cube.. and I am sick of all things square..

</STRONG>
In that case, you might be Evil: http://www.timecube.com

J

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 08:30 PM

I think ill wait for rev 2. Gives me more time to save money.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 08:51 PM

I've been telling anyone who will listen that I would buy the first Mac that had a superdrive for under $2000. Well now I guess I have to get one...

However if Apple comes up with a tower at that price point with the Superdrive between now and when I scratch together the dough, I'll probably get the tower and put my nice 17" CRT to work.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 08:53 PM

We're going to be getting 2 imacs, a 1800 for my mom, and a 1200 model for my brother.

Sweet!!!!!!

Hehe, I have a DP800, and my cinema display, they need me, but I love the imac, and I'm proud that we're getting them

*clicks the order button*
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 09:06 PM

My top spec model is already on order !!
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 09:57 PM

Still pissed entry level imac wont ship till march in Australia. Maybe i will wait for revsison 2.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 10:14 PM

I just ordered one...I'm so happy!!! I just sold my TiBook to get it. I thought the 15" screen was going to bother me...but it has a VGA port for mirroring, and I have a very nice flat 19" CRT--so if I think I need more realestate--I've got it covered. I was quoted 2-4 weeks, but *probably* 20 days. Ordered 2 packs of DVDs....I'm in heaven, really.
Am I still here?

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 10:39 PM

I can't believe some people don't love this thing. I think they wanted everything it has and to be exactly what they showed, an old iMac with it's ass cut off. As far as the resolutions are concerned, I have a 17"CRT and it is set to 1024x768 and I think that is a perfect setting. Of course these are just my opinions. I love the design and I would buy one if I didn't already own a 867, the thing that gets me is these new iMacs come so close to my machine, and so it goes. I am pushing my boss at work to get one. Why buy a used G4 on eBay for lower MHz and no monitor for more money. I guess there are always going to be complainers, but come on, smaller footprint, G4, superdrive, better graphics card,15" flat screen display that floats. It has everything people wanted and still it is not good enough, unbelieveable. Admit it, you (complainers) wanted an assless iMac, boring and old.

My two cents. Had to say it. Peace.

mikemako
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 10:52 PM

my opinionated friend who is pretty anti-Mac said he thought it was very cool and he wants one.

if you knew him you would see this is really impressive.

mike EKIM
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2002, 10:53 PM

I bought two SuperDrive iMacs and an iPod.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 10:59 PM

In answer to the question, I would sure consider the $1799 model. I bought a Ti Powerbook 550 two months ago and absolutely love it. BUT considering that for about $300 LESS, the iMac2 gives you a faster processor, keyboard, mouse, triple the hard drive, three extra USB ports AND the Superdrive, I would have to need portability a LOT not to seriously consider the iMac2 today instead of the PowerBook. The only other truly great thing that the Ti's have is the screen dimensions--wider and shorter is MUCH better than the standard 15" LCD shape on the iMac2. Too bad that the Ti screen is not an option on the iMac2.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 11:10 PM

I'll get one...as soon as I figure out how to pay for it! I hate being in debt already!

zigmeister
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 11:32 PM

Sure as hell I'm gettin one. How can I not get one? What can it not do incredibly well besides pro audio (whine) or Lord of the Rings? Heck, the question is: will I ever get anything else afterwards?
Master of Zigs

CAM
Jan 8, 2002, 12:00 AM

You have to see it in person... it's G O R G E O U S!

I really think it is Apple's best design yet. They will easily be able to offer a 17 inch version next year by just swapping the screen - brilliant! Overall, the specs are great.

Yep, I'll be getting one :?).
All Is One Is All

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by CAM:
<STRONG>You have to see it in person... it's G O R G E O U S!

I really think it is Apple's best design yet. They will easily be able to offer a 17 inch version next year by just swapping the screen - brilliant! Overall, the specs are great.

Yep, I'll be getting one :?).</STRONG>
Dude apple waited so long for the prices for 15 inch lcd display to come down and now youre saying they can put a 17 inch lcd in next year. Plezzzzz not for another 2 year probably.

CAM
Jan 8, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Rob van dam:
<STRONG>

Dude apple waited so long for the prices for 15 inch lcd display to come down and now youre saying they can put a 17 inch lcd in next year. Plezzzzz not for another 2 year probably.</STRONG>
Ok, OK, I'm still on a bit of an expo high... "next year" is probably too soon but the main thing is that eventually it can be done quite simply and without altering the basic design.

Personaly, I think the 15 inch screen is perfect... I'm just thinking about those folks that will bitch about the screen size.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: CAM ]
All Is One Is All

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by CAM:
<STRONG>

Ok, OK, I'm still on a bit of an expo high... "next year" is probably too soon but the main thing is that eventually it can be done quite simply and without altering the basic design.

Personaly, I think the 15 inch screen is perfect... I'm just thinking about those folks that will bitch about the screen size.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: CAM ]</STRONG>
Lucky barstard got to go to mackworld. So tell me one thing are these imac's prone at tipping over. And will the implementation of pc 100 ram and 100 mhz system bus make any difference of 133 mhz bus and pc 133 ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules