Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do the pro speakers suck?

Do the pro speakers suck?
JimiMac
Jan 17, 2002, 02:22 AM

I heard someone say they thought the prospeakers sunded bad when they went to check out the new iMac. Is this why Apple is throwing them in on the top line models? They look cool, but if they sound cheap, so what. When they are plugged in, does anr sound still come out of the base speakers too or not? How would you add a separate sub woofer later? And where else could you use the Pro speakers? They won't work with an iBook will they?

davester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2002, 04:14 AM

I've heard them before and it seems they're good in the mid to high range (as you could imagine from their size), but naturally suffer in the lower frequencies. The only way you could add a subwoofer would be to add it to the headphones socket, though I'm not sure if this then cancels out the digital-out audio. Further use of the Pro speakers would be in a G4 I'd imagine..? Not sure about the iBook. Let us know, if you find out, whether or not you can still connect an iSub upto the new iMac with the Pro speakers also connected.

One quirk I have about them is the lack of speaker protection. They just seem a little vulnerable all exposed like that.

scarab
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2002, 04:21 AM

Perhaps the plastic speaker covers were on (read the PowerMac picture thread).

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 04:54 AM

yea you can use them with anything cause they use the 1/8 inch jack

kstevens
Jan 17, 2002, 06:52 AM

Apple has already said you can use the iSub with the Pro speakers, just plug the iSub into one of your USB ports.

Ken

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2002, 10:53 AM

I was at the Apple Store a week ago checking the new iMac out and (just like every electronics store) some guy cranked the volume up for about 10 seconds before an Apple employee came over to "help"... The sound was great. If I had one in my dorm room, I could actually use it to listen to CD's without feeling like I was playing it on cheap computer speakers. I would compare it to a $150 Sony portable radio... Not wonderful, but good enough for 90% of iMac users. It's MUCH better then the old iMac as you can place the speakers farther apart and get better stereo effects.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 10:55 AM

First of all, the speakers need the plastic fronts removed. Keeping them on keeps the sound trapped inside. Second of all, the only problem I have with those speakers is that there's no outside volume control, so all in all they don't project volumes at high levels.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>I was at the Apple Store a week ago checking the new iMac out and (just like every electronics store) some guy cranked the volume up for about 10 seconds before an Apple employee came over to "help"... The sound was great. If I had one in my dorm room, I could actually use it to listen to CD's without feeling like I was playing it on cheap computer speakers. I would compare it to a $150 Sony portable radio... Not wonderful, but good enough for 90% of iMac users. It's MUCH better then the old iMac as you can place the speakers farther apart and get better stereo effects.</STRONG>
The HK Soundsticks are even better!
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 01:17 PM

Just use an iSub. iSub and Pro Speakers- excellenet audio system. I use Soundsticks and an iSub (or whatever they call the subwoofer that looks like an Isub that's ncluded with te hSoundStricks)_
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

hayesk
Jan 17, 2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>First of all, the speakers need the plastic fronts removed. Keeping them on keeps the sound trapped inside. Second of all, the only problem I have with those speakers is that there's no outside volume control, so all in all they don't project volumes at high levels.</STRONG>
Yep, just about every store I've seen these speakers in, they didn't know the plastic cover (with the three big holes) is supposed to be removed. They sound *much* better with the covers off.

And to the guy with concerns about them being out in the open, I wouldn't worry about them, they'll shake any dust off of them by themselves. And if you spill coca-cola on them, well, you could do that to any speakers.

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 18, 2002, 12:05 AM

What is this with everyone having the soundsticks.. I want soundsticks now

But I have pro speakers with the isub, and must I say, my G4 dp800 has an excellent amplifier, it is more powerful than the imac one (20 watt minimum/35 max), and can still go higher than the soundsticks one from what I know.

With the isub, it's the best sound I've heard, it even rivals my 300 watt stereo.

Unfortunately, the pro speakers don't cancel out bass with the isub plugged in (new drivers?) But they still sound great except for some music.

Great for rock, rap, and jazz, as well as KDLang's song on iTunes (OS 9)
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 18, 2002, 12:08 AM

Oh btw, the USB version of the pro speakers works on any mac with USB

nick h
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 02:28 AM

I've heard the soundsticks. Not impressed. Heard the Pro Speakers. What a disappointment. This is one of my gripes with Apple: give you excellent multimedia machines and software like the iMac and iTunes, but then they throw in these speakers that match the machines, but don't sound that great (at least I think they don't sound great).

I'm getting a base iMac when they come out to pair up with my 600MHz iBook DVD. I've had my Klipsch Pro Media 5.1's for a year now with 3 computers. The Pro Speakers do not even compare to the Klipsch. I can't wait to set my iMac between those square black speakers.

If you aren't really worried about EXCELLENT sound though, the Pro speakers are fine, you'll be satisfied.
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

happygoodies
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 02:48 AM

You might want to check out the reviews at www.epinions.com , in general they say the pro speakers are pretty good but the isub and sound sticks are not-so-good

Strangely, the www.amazon.com reviews are opposite of this (for the isub at least), so who knows

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 21, 2002, 07:39 AM

The pro speakers alone are O-K.

The pro speakers + iSub are NIIICE

The iSub + Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Now we're talking

Two isubs + USB pro speakers + apple pro speakers = Nice setup

Pro speakers are cool, small, cute, and are great speakers. The iSub has great sound. Get the setup together, I think they're fine

When I first got the pro speakers I fell in love, and blasted volume a lot, and when I first added the iSub I thought it was horribly noisy.

Now that I got used to it, when I unplug the iSub, it feels like a cheap radio. lol

Nephron
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 02:19 PM

Hiya,

I have the Soundsticks with subwoofer in my office. I think the sound is excellent. Nice and clean with a bit of low end oomph from the subwoofer. Compared to my home stereo (NAD amp + Angstrom speakers), the Soundsticks are shite, but I have never had such good sound in my office before. More than good enough for me.

Cheers!

boardsurfer
Jan 21, 2002, 11:16 PM

Hey All,

When I visited the Apple store for the first time, I checked out the JBL Sonnet set up. (I'm not an audiophile) I think thought they sounded freakin awesome, and now in my home, even better. For a hundred bucks, they rock.

I agree that the pro speakers sound good, but not at high volume, and they have no low end.

&lt;&lt;Brass Monkey, that Funky Monkey. . . &gt;&gt;

Forum Links
Forum Rules