Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac Video Support?

eMac Video Support?
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 01:33 AM

My eMac's CRT was fried thanks to the power company here. So, I've been considering getting a larger 20.1" display. However, it has a native resolution of 1680x1050, where as the eMac's built-in display, and the old CRT I have connected to the eMac now run at 1280x1024. I know this model has a 32MB ATI Radeon 7500 video card. Would it support a display running at 1680x1050? And if not, could I still run it at a lower resolution?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 01:40 AM

If I recall correctly the eMac only supports mirroring, and since the internal CRT can't run at 1680x1050, you can't run an external display at that resolution either. You could feed the external display with a lower resolution and scale it up, but that will look blurry.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
If I recall correctly the eMac only supports mirroring, and since the internal CRT can't run at 1680x1050, you can't run an external display at that resolution either.
Well, officially it only supports mirroring, but it can easily support extended desktop if enabled in Firmware, which is what Screen Spanning Doctor does. I don't know if that changes resolution support, though.

Originally Posted by mduell
You could feed the external display with a lower resolution and scale it up, but that will look blurry.
Yeah, I wonder if it would even be worthwhile.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 11:24 AM

If you cant afford a new system, or a repair, then it probably would be worthwhile. Or else you could either suffer the poor resolution on the new screen (a shame to buy a nice screen and not feed it with a decent signal), or else just use the old CRT you had connected - OK you wont have as much real estate, but might proove to be the easiest and cheapest thing to do
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2006, 12:02 PM

Not having taken the time to look up the specs on your card, I'd say it's worthwhile to run screenspanning doctor to enable spanning on the mac, and then go ahead and use the new monitor (actually you may have to do it the other way round, and use the monitor first), and there's a good chance your card is capable of handling the larger resolution. 'course, you probably do run a risk of having windows float off the edge onto your old monitor, but hey...

oh yeah, and go buy yourself a nice surge protector. they cost like 10 bucks, and should hopefully save you the trouble in the future.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by arcticmac
oh yeah, and go buy yourself a nice surge protector. they cost like 10 bucks, and should hopefully save you the trouble in the future.
Oh, really? I wish you could point out to me a $10 surge protector which could have saved my CRT when the APC UPS my eMac is always connected to couldn't. It would be wise to ask, or at least attempt courtesy, before making such thoughtless comments.

As for the display, I've decided to go ahead and get the 20" Spectre LCD. I guess I'll see what happens soon enough.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 04:47 AM

You should be calling APC then rather than making stupid comments.

http://www.apcc.com/support/service/...ion_policy.cfm

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2006, 05:09 AM

You may want to try Switch Res (as well as SSD) which allows you to select any of the resolutions the video chipset supports - I cannot remeber if SSD does this as well.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nebrie
You should be calling APC then rather than making stupid comments.

http://www.apcc.com/support/service/...ion_policy.cfm
Again my point falls on deaf ears. There is no reason for you to call my comments stupid. I don't appreciate condescending replies like yours which are designed more to patronize than help.

Just for your information, I did call APC more than a month ago. They sent me another unit, I sent back the old one and they are processing my claim.

Now, learn some basic etiquette and then come back to talk with the civilized.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Jan 17, 2006 at 02:08 PM. )

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 11:48 PM

Well, I got my LCD today! I enabled screen spanning/extended desktop with Screen Spanning Doctor and I am getting the full 1680x1050 display now. The nice thing about it is that it accepts both VGA and DVI, so I've been able to hook up my Linux PC box to the display and switch between both sources.

Forum Links
Forum Rules