Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Screens; whats better

Screens; whats better
quangdiggity
May 27, 2006, 02:18 PM

Hi.

now that the core duo imacs can have extended desktop, its really been on my mind.

for price reasons, the 17" seems to be my best option- and later or sumthing i could get another 15-17" to attach next to it... i could actually use a 10yr old 14" CRT, but please- wtf

what would be better, a 17" with secondary display or 20".
im guessing the X1600 gets slightly more tired from powering a 20" but that shouldnt be a big deal due to the faster processor.
however, would i be seeing higher lag with dual displays?

whats better, one bigger screen or two smaller ones. advantages and disadvantages of both- plz..

TIA

Thraxes
May 28, 2006, 03:14 AM

I prefer working with 2 screens whenever possible.

My iBook has been patched to allow this and at home it sits next to a 17" CRT with both displays running 1024x768.

My main Athlon machine has 2 Dell LCDs, a 2005FPW 20" widescreen and a 1705FP standard 17". I kinda like this combination as the physical height of the screens matches up almost perfectly and the vertical resolutions are quite similar (1050 vs. 1028).

I think you can just get a 17" iMac and later add another widescreen LCD (don't worry about the graphics card, it can handle it). For once it's not just the americans that get good deals at Dell on these things, at least here in Germany Dell does have the occasional offer (got both of my screens for 830 EUR which isn't too shabby). I don't know how it is in sweden but I'd be very suprised if they didn't have specials there aswell.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

quangdiggity  (op)
May 28, 2006, 04:12 AM

ok thnx---

think that with time i will add a 15-20" depending on what my budget is..
i saw a really cheap acer 17", but the ratio is 1280x1024 (5:4) - wouldnt the imac muck up if it had to power 1 16:9 and one 5:4..... ??

btw- there are always special dell offers in the news papers- double RAM for normal price.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 09:58 AM

It doesn't matter what resolution or aspect ratio the external screen has. And I would also second the opinion that getting a smaller iMac with a bigger external screen is probably a better idea in most cases. I have my 17" iMac using a 23" Cinema Display, and it's great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules