Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The FIFA World Cup 2006

The FIFA World Cup 2006
brapper
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 12:54 AM

I'm an England fan. Always have been. So excited for it to get started.
Think they still have a some good options even if Rooney isn't fit but, of course, I'd like to see him ready to go. It's definitely a long shot at this point, but the picture shoould be clearer by friday when his scan results are in.

Who's everyone else rooting for? What do you think of their chances?

Admittedly, my England bias keeps my focus pretty narrow, so I'm interested in what you guys are thinking.

Of, and EA's World Cup game is great. Definitely helping me bide my time until the real one gets started.

Hash
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 07:48 AM

Well, I really love soccer. I also happen to play it, but now I am a bit old to play competitive games - just for fun few minutes, maybe World cup is a dream time, time of emotions, tears, joy and amazement. Nothing can compare with watching good soccer game, maybe except only a sex with a beautiful secretary (which unfortunately, I have not got yet). As for England, this time they got an amazing team. Lampard, Gerrard, Owens, Rooney, Terry, Beckham and Philips (from Chelsea), amazing midfield, though attack looks not so good. But maybe Defoe and Owen (don't hope for Crouch) will be the new stars. Germany except Ballack looks a bit average, but Lehman can be good, but they always great as a team. Brazil and Spain look devastating on paper. Italy is unpredictable. Lot of underdogs, always dangerous. Japan has high speed and good midfield. Portugal is unpredictable too.

Hash
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 07:50 AM

By the way, I swear by Pro Evolution Soccer 5. Amazing game and very, very realistic.

I tried and did not like FIFA games (like 2004 and so on). I liked only FIFA 1998, but it was long ago.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 08:06 AM

The US got rather unlucky with their group - beating out Italy or Czech Republic doesn't seem likely. Not sure about Ghana.

Anyway, it's probably going to be a rematch of last year's final - Brazil and Germany. But, as someone who saw the 98 final in Paris, Lehman's no Barthez, Germany doesn't have a super special Zidane type player, and Brazil is clearly the best team, with the best player. I say Brazil wins it.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by brapper
Who's everyone else rooting for? What do you think of their chances?
I'll be rooting for Germany and Team USA. I think the Germans have a snoball's chance in hell of winning, but then, it always seems like they do at the beginning and they somehow wind up in the final anyway. *g*

The favorites to win the cup are England and Brazil, IMO. Brazil, as usual, has the most depth and a stunning array of world-class players. England has the best team since 1966, and with Rooney back in the game they should be able to give Argentina and Brazil a run for the money.

Look for Holland, Spain and France to fold during the turnament.

Dark horses: The US and the Ivory Coast.

You heard it here first, at MacNN.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 09:12 AM

Since I am in the Netherlands, it is of course one of the teams that I hope will go a long way, or at least out of the group. Iran will also see some support from me, as it is the country one of my parents come from. Other than that, I would love to see an underdog win this time, like Ghana or the Ivory Coast!
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hash
… Brazil and Spain look devastating on paper. Italy is unpredictable. Lot of underdogs, always dangerous. Japan has high speed and good midfield. Portugal is unpredictable too.
While I don't like soccer that much, neither I care about it, I am surprised about reading Spain looking devastating… even on paper. Why do you think it so? -just curious-, IMHO all we (spaniard here) have 'over average' is this young guy Fernando Torres, the rest of the team is rather poor, as usual.

Nevertheless, I agree Brazil could be everyone's favourite.

Hash
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 10:19 AM

Well, though I do not follow La Liga very closely, Spain always had such wonderful choice of players of world class - lets begin from past stars as Raul, Morientes, then Hierro, now Torres, a great number of very good players in Valencia, Atletico Madrid, now in Liverpool, Arsenal Spaniards, and so on - you can have not 1, but 2 or even good 3 teams of equal power from Spaniards, I think. But as a team, it always behaves quite strange during important matches. Perhaps, nerves. Germans have steel nerves. So does Italy. Spain has mood.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 12:38 PM

My heritage is Czech, so I'll be rooting for USA to win E and CZ to be 2nd there. It's going to be a killer group though.

Hash
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 01:09 PM

Czechs are good team, with world class players and world class coaches. Let's see how they will justify their high FIFA ranking this time.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 01:15 PM

Those flying, running Samba team is unbeatable!!!

nath
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 04:40 PM

As long as Sven doesn't play Rooney without match fitness, we'll be OK. If it's a repeat of the Beckham disaster, with a central player going on semi-crocked, we'll be picked off by the likes of Brasil. Stick Joe Cole in 10 yards behind Owen instead. Even if he loses the ball a lot, you've got Gerrard, Lampard or Beckham following through. Can't think of many teams with that kind of attacking power at the moment.

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by nath
As long as Sven doesn't play Rooney without match fitness, we'll be OK. If it's a repeat of the Beckham disaster, with a central player going on semi-crocked, we'll be picked off by the likes of Brasil. Stick Joe Cole in 10 yards behind Owen instead. Even if he loses the ball a lot, you've got Gerrard, Lampard or Beckham following through. Can't think of many teams with that kind of attacking power at the moment.
My thoughts exactly.

adster
May 25, 2006, 05:17 PM

S C O T L A N D !!!!!

Oh wait...

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 05:56 PM

Can I watch the world cup online somewhere?

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
ESPN/ESPN2 aired every USA game in 2002, and a lot of the other games as well. You just had to stay up really late or record them. But late night World Cup parties are fun as all get out!

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 will be covering FIFA 2006 so no worries. But I'd like to introduce you to the world of peer to peer TV. www.p2p-sports.com This is how I get to watch all the tennis matches that are not covered in the US. There are also a LOT of soccer matches covered, that web page was made for soccer fans.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 03:23 AM

They are going to broadcast the FIFA 2006 WC on High Definition here in Europe… but if you live in Spain or Portugal you are out of luck, no HD for you. I don't know about portuguese people, but this kind of stuff is so typical in Spain, we are always coming later to everything… what a shame.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 09:19 AM

I think starting a poll about the best looking World Cup 2006 jersey would be nice.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 09:40 AM

I'll be sporting my old-school KNVB Cruyff jersey. Total footbal, baby.

greg
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; May 29, 2006 at 10:12 PM. )
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
They are going to broadcast the FIFA 2006 WC on High Definition here in Europe… but if you live in Spain or Portugal you are out of luck, no HD for you.
There isn't High Definition television in Germany as well.
I don't know about portuguese people, but this kind of stuff is so typical in Spain, we are always coming later to everything… what a shame.
Spain completely switched to DVB-T in 2005 afaik while the transition is supposed to be complete in Germany by the end of 2008 only. You are not always later to everything.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 10:22 AM

I'll be supporting Italy, being that my family is from Rome and Sicily.

I can't wait

edit. I found this press release from ESPN, and I'm excited. 64 games all in regular and high definition, on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC.
The link includes a full schedule with times.
( Last edited by mdc; May 26, 2006 at 10:46 AM. )

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 10:50 AM

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2006, 07:51 PM

AUSTRALIA!

I also have the Ivory Coast down as being a real dark horse this year, a very powerful team, but not a lot of flair and discipline may be a bit of an issue

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Spain completely switched to DVB-T in 2005 afaik (…)
Well, that is not 100% accurate, they (damn politics) were still conceding new analogical broadcasting licenses by then… being honest I don't care that much, dvb-t is mostly rubbish over here.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 27, 2006, 07:56 AM

This thread needs some badgers.

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/

I'll be rooting for the USA, though.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 08:59 AM

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 11:10 AM

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
May 27, 2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts
COOL!
thanks

quangdiggity
May 27, 2006, 05:04 PM

Forza Italia!!!!!!!!!!

i'm italian and therefore go for them......

however brazil will win, probably over italy/germany/argentina in the final.
- the juventus scandals are rather negative on the side though (what else could u expect from juve though- Ac Milan all the way!!!!!!)

adster
May 27, 2006, 05:38 PM

I'll probably support some African team since Scotland is out of the game.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2006, 07:25 PM

I'll be cheering for the Netherlands and England. The Dutch always have great teams, but don't necessarily go that far in the tournament. However, I think they are the one team that could beat Brazil (who are the clear favourites). England has one of the best midfields, imo, but I don't see them going all the way... something disastrous always happens for the brits

I always go for the African teams too. They always seem to play an exciting brand of soccer.

And yes.. in my opinion, nothing in the sporting world is better than the world cup

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
May 29, 2006, 11:58 AM

Sweden, Argentina and Spain are the teams I hope go far. Sweden will probably surprise many as they don't have many star players but these few very good players are enough to take Sweden far in the competition. Henke Larsson and Zlatan is up there with the best strike force in the competition and with players like Wilhelmsson and Ljungberg providing them with support down the wings (and through the middle) they will have enough chances.

Argentina has some of the most exciting players in the competition in the shape of Riquelme, Aimar, Tevez and the next Maradona™ named Messi. They also are one of the few South American teams who know how to defend.

Spain will hopefully surprise many this WC by actually doing what is expected of them. They have enough creativity up front, enough balance in midfield and experience at the back. As well as probably having the best keepers in the competition. Their 2nd and 3rd choice keepers would probably get into most teams in the competition.

The disappointments in this competition will be the US, England and Italy.

The US simply isn't good enough no matter what the Coca Cola rankings say. Their only hope is that Arena gets his tactics right. Because there isn't a single player in the team worth remembering.

England will probably disappoint because Sven will upset the balance of the team by trying to play all the stars instead of setting up a balanced team. If Lampard and Gerrard are in centre midfield the central defence will have enough to do. If Carragher is played out of position (LB or RB) or not at all the defence is weaker than it should be. And Sven will probably try to play Rooney and Owen together upfront even though both are unfit.

Italy has enough problems at home and there are probably a few of their players who are worried about the outcome of the investigation going on.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 04:29 AM

A giant poster of German goalkeeper Oliver Kahn is unveiled at the Munich Airport in Munich, Germany. The 65-meter-long poster is part of an adidas campagne and will be installed for the duration of the World Cup 2006.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 11:18 AM

England seems to have a good chance to actually win something significant this time.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 11:52 AM

I like Spain.

Also, my adopted country, the Netherlands...
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 04:25 AM

Rooney says he'll be 300% ready to compete in the World Cup.
I'll settle for 100% and the trophy, but i'm excited regardless.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by brapper
Rooney says he'll be 300% ready to compete in the World Cup.
I'll settle for 100% and the trophy, but i'm excited regardless.

IMO it's a bad idea to take him to the WC. He won't be 100% fit before the end of the tournament and probably won't be able to play at all in the group stages. Drop him and take Defoe or someone instead.

Yes, it would be a shame to not have one of the best players in the world in the competition but rather have the players who are fit to compete than drag along somme stars that won't be able to deliver.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 11:33 AM

all right we are about 30 min away form the first game kick off. Let's get excited!

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 12:21 PM

oh, I'm pumped.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by cenutrio
I like Spain.
I've made that mistake before

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 12:45 PM

http://www.google.com/ig has a live world cup 'widget'. It's pretty helpful since I'm sitting at work.

I forgot to set the DVR to record today's matches. I'm excited for Monday's Italy match.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 02:05 PM

They are going to broadcast the FIFA 2006 WC on High Definition here in Europe… but if you live in Spain or Portugal you are out of luck, no HD for you. I don't know about portuguese people, but this kind of stuff is so typical in Spain, we are always coming later to everything… what a shame.
Nobody in Europe is getting it in HDTV AFAIK except for some people in the UK. All the matches are broadcast in 4:3. HD has a long way to go here. I REALLY don't understand why it isn't being broadcast in 16:9 PAL. The germans have 16:9 PAL, SD (ntsc I guess), PAL (probably 4:3) and HDTV streams ready.

Also DVB doesn't mean HDTV. I'm watching it through DVB-C(able).

I'll be rooting for Italy, as always. Also a bit for France since half of my family is French. And I'll also be rooting for Iran.

BTW: Germany - Costa Rica : 4-2

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2006, 04:01 PM

U.S. got screwed in the grouping. Mexico didn't deserve to be put in such a weaker group.

As for me, I love watching Brazil play, but I'd love to see England finally win it again. Here's hoping that Rooney's in top form.

brapper  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 07:01 PM

my cabbie today got me going for Ghana in their match against Italy monday.
I love that there's a great game everyday!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Nobody in Europe is getting it in HDTV AFAIK except for some people in the UK. All the matches are broadcast in 4:3. HD has a long way to go here. I REALLY don't understand why it isn't being broadcast in 16:9 PAL. The germans have 16:9 PAL, SD (ntsc I guess), PAL (probably 4:3) and HDTV streams ready.

I'll be rooting for Italy, as always. Also a bit for France since half of my family is French. And I'll also be rooting for Iran.

Actually some satellite providers (TPS and Canalstalleite) are supposed to broadcast in HD. as well as some TV over ADSL.

nath
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
IMO it's a bad idea to take him to the WC. He won't be 100% fit before the end of the tournament and probably won't be able to play at all in the group stages. Drop him and take Defoe or someone instead.

Yes, it would be a shame to not have one of the best players in the world in the competition but rather have the players who are fit to compete than drag along somme stars that won't be able to deliver.

What worries me if if the Crouch/Owen partnership continues to improve, and Crouch gets a few more goals.

It then becomes even more risky to change things around, especially to benefit a recovering player like Rooney. Anyone who watched the Premiership at the start of last season will know how long it took him to come back into form following his last injury, also to a metatarsal.

That said, against sides like Brasil and Argentina you might just need the extra bit of magic that a player like him can provide, even when not fully fit. It's going to be a really hard decision.

nath
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
U.S. got screwed in the grouping. Mexico didn't deserve to be put in such a weaker group.

As for me, I love watching Brazil play, but I'd love to see England finally win it again. Here's hoping that Rooney's in top form.
Been looking at my match planner this morning and it doesn't seem possible to pick a configuration where Iran would meet the US...that would have been interesting!

BBC have a cool little webpage where you can fill out your prediction for the path to the final. Here's mine, completed before the first games yesterday. Be interested to see other people's predictions (particularly VW's idea of who's going to knock England out!)

Got the Germany/Costa Rica goal ratio right but looks like Poland might be in trouble already...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl...10011001100100

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger

We can get it in 16:9 here on Iceland.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by nath

What worries me if if the Crouch/Owen partnership continues to improve, and Crouch gets a few more goals.

It then becomes even more risky to change things around, especially to benefit a recovering player like Rooney. Anyone who watched the Premiership at the start of last season will know how long it took him to come back into form following his last injury, also to a metatarsal.

That said, against sides like Brasil and Argentina you might just need the extra bit of magic that a player like him can provide, even when not fully fit. It's going to be a really hard decision.
Agree. Maybe it is OK to bring him with the squad if he's only meant to provide his magic for the last 20 min of the games. But it's risky. But not as risky as taking a 17 year old with the team that hasn't played one minute of Premiership football. I really don't understand that selection.

As for Crouch/Owen. I think England really needs a player like Crouch in there. He might not be the best player in the world but having watched all the Liverpool games this season (almost, just missed two games last season) he really delivers what is expected of him. I think that partnership has the potential to do some real damage in this tournament. Crouch will make space for Owen to run into as well as being able to hold up the ball and then get it back to the two cannons in midfield -> Lampard and Stevie G.

And as the balls are I think those two can probably be amongst the top scorers in this tournament. Stevie can continue to score from 20-30m with amazing shots and Lampard can continue to get goals from his shots that deflect of anyone in the penalty area.

Today I'm going to watch all the games. Got to see if England can deliver, got to see my adopted country Sweden and what Zlatan/Henke will do and then Argentine has the chance to surprise in this world cup. Great day today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules