Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stroller and Blockers--I hate them.

Stroller and Blockers--I hate them.
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 04:40 PM

During rush hour everyday I find myself having to dodge people who just don't seem to be aware of what or who is around them. The strollers are generally 5 people walking abreast of each other through a busy subway station or sidewalk just slowly angling along as if its a Sunday afternoon at the Cape. You pass them politely and they get pissed as if everyone should just be strolling. I'm sorry, I'm not on vacation like you.

The blockers are even worse and I think I hate them more. They're the type that think an entrance to a subway or a busy office building is the perfect place to pull out your cell phone and start a conversation while blocking the entire stairway.

I know I'm a little uptight and I do recognize that not everyone is rushing to working in the mornings and afternoons, but a little consideration would be nice is all. For the 5 people walking abreast of one another, two can walk behind. Likewise the person on a cell phone can walk around the other side of the entrance and talk there.

Ok my rant is done. whew.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 04:48 PM

infront of my schools main building entrance there are always groups of students smoking or talking, blocking the entrance and sometimes they get pissed when i say excuse me, or (this is fun) when i knock them in back while opening the door. they get pissed, and im like, hey if you dont want to get hit than dont stand infront of a door. simple right? not for some of the kids here.
also, the people who stay right by the T doors so they dont need to move and block part of the entrance for people getting on and off.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 04:52 PM

I agree completely. Even if you're not in a hurry, at least recognize that other people might be and don't block entire walkways from people who actually have somewhere to be.

"I start fires!"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 05:13 PM

Absolutely. I agree. Of course, you really only notice that you're in a hurry and someone's blocking your way. How often do we notice that we're part of the problem?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 05:24 PM

I totally agree with you. It is such a lack of respect to block any entrances, building, subway, etc. This is why when I go and visit another country I make sure I am out of the way to read my map, or to look at a monument.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 17, 2006, 05:28 PM

Na I am totally with you on this one. I can't stand people who block the subway exit when you are trying to get off as they are so eager to get on. I usually body check them.

Same goes for people who stand on the left side of the escalator.

"Hello, what have we here?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jul 17, 2006, 07:29 PM

Try dealing with these people at airports.
When I'm not in a uniform, I'm rude, I'll nudge these idiots to one side.
When I have to wear the uniform, I'll say excuse me. Once.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 17, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I usually body check them.
And that accomplishes what? Makes you feel like a tough guy?

A simple "excuse me" always worked for me.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
And that accomplishes what? Makes you feel like a tough guy?

A simple "excuse me" always worked for me.
not when theyre on the phone. most of the time its only them in the world

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 08:18 PM

Some people simply thinks the rest of the world revolve around them....

Not quite on topic but -

My wife went to the grocery store yesterday morning..lugging our 1 year old. So she has a basket of stuff in one hand, and the kid in the other. Walking up to the only register that's open (its early in the morning), she spots a lady near her walking faster and faster to beat her to the register. Whatever - she thinks. Of course, when the lady gets there, she just stands there holding the line while her daughter is moseying on down the aisle with a cart full of stuff (my wife had a total of three things).

So the daughter finally gets there and the lady proceeds to take the stuff out of the cart, but because she was there before the cart, she's now in front of the cart. When she's finished, she leaves the cart there and pays. Almost walked away and leaving the cart at the friggin register until the cashier asked her to move the cart so the folks behind her (my wife) can actually unload their stuff.

Bit@h.

And what the FucQ is the deal with folks who think its okay to leave the carts in the empty parking spot next to them? Or the one's who simply think its ok just to heave them "towards" the cart catch? As if they all roll straight.

There are times when I just like to walk up and bitch slap them.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
Not quite on topic but -
(snipped)
Oh God. I work as a cashier at a local grocery store. The things I see! People running through the store, knocking each other over, people deciding to leave their groceries half-checked to finish their shopping, parents screaming and swearing at their kids who, from what I can tell, aren't really doing anything wrong... today some @$$hole literally smacked my hand away when I tried to give him his receipt! My manager was standing a few feet away, so I couldn't say anything... but still. Some people are just animals.

And no, this is not the manager who flipped someone off once. Unfortunately.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Oh God. I work as a cashier at a local grocery store. The things I see! People running through the store, knocking each other over, people deciding to leave their groceries half-checked to finish their shopping, parents screaming and swearing at their kids who, from what I can tell, aren't really doing anything wrong... today some @$$hole literally smacked my hand away when I tried to give him his receipt! My manager was standing a few feet away, so I couldn't say anything... but still. Some people are just animals.

And no, this is not the manager who flipped someone off once. Unfortunately.

I can't believe someone smacked your hand when you tried to hand them a receipt--they have no right. Your manager should have said something to that customer if he/she was standing right there. I feel for you.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Absolutely. I agree. Of course, you really only notice that you're in a hurry and someone's blocking your way. How often do we notice that we're part of the problem?
All the time. I always make sure to get out of the way and I always tell my gf to stand on the right side of the escalator either in front of me or behind me whenever I see her blocking people.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 09:39 PM

I get this on the lakefront bike path (in chicago) all summer long... when you get to the crowded beaches, you won't be able to move. I'm a pretty patient guy, so I'll say "excuse me" or "coming thru" and sometimes folks will get out of the way. Less patient bikers will accelerate toward a crowd and yell for them to "get the f*ck outta the way."

I've seen numerous accidents cause by oblivious pedestrians strolling along on the bike path. I almost got into one my self just yesterday, passing a group of strollers and almost crashing into an oncoming biker (on my side of the path passing another group of strollers). The other biker hit the brakes, skidded and fishtailed nearly hitting me and the strollers I just passed. For a split second, I wished he had hit them...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

kaze0
Jul 18, 2006, 08:01 AM

yeah, people arent fun

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 08:08 AM

You should zap the bastards with a tazer, that ought to get them moving.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 08:17 AM

Grocery stores have to be one of the levels of hell.

Anyway, I think we're missing the bog picture here. The problem isn't stroller, blockers, talkers, etc. We need to eliminate people. Problem solved.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar

Anyway, I think we're missing the bog picture here. The problem isn't stroller, blockers, talkers, etc. We need to eliminate people. Problem solved.
But then what would we complain about?

"I start fires!"

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
But then what would we complain about?
Being dead.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 10:09 AM

Being dead.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 10:17 AM

Why can't people walk down the escalator unless you have a physical handicap or are old or are too tired; then keep to your right.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2006, 10:22 AM

Concur. That's why I only ever set foot into them at about 4 am.

Yes. I've come to the conclusion that all proles need to be banned from ever leaving their houses. Heck, all they want to do these days is talk to their prole friends on their mobiles - so if they're at home it'd actually be cheaper for them to do so as they could use their land-line.

Hmmm... That gives me an idea for a new motto for the coat of arms... "Lord Doofy: Making proles' lives better since 2006"
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Concur. That's why I only ever set foot into them at about 4 am.
I used to enjoy doing psychotic 15 min runs after 10pm on Sundays, but since I got a real job I've started doing grocery shopping on my lunch break (since its there and I've got nothing better else to do). Its almost the polar opposite experience.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by himself
I get this on the lakefront bike path (in chicago) all summer long... when you get to the crowded beaches, you won't be able to move. I'm a pretty patient guy, so I'll say "excuse me" or "coming thru" and sometimes folks will get out of the way. Less patient bikers will accelerate toward a crowd and yell for them to "get the f*ck outta the way."

I've seen numerous accidents cause by oblivious pedestrians strolling along on the bike path. I almost got into one my self just yesterday, passing a group of strollers and almost crashing into an oncoming biker (on my side of the path passing another group of strollers). The other biker hit the brakes, skidded and fishtailed nearly hitting me and the strollers I just passed. For a split second, I wished he had hit them...

I've got the same deal riding my bicycle around campus. People will walk three or four wide down the whole sidewalk. It's even worse when they realize I'm coming and try to get out of my way, after I've already moved to get out of their way, meaning I'm about to hit them...

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 11:53 AM

Oh lord I have no patience for this crap, if you're not aware of your surroundings and act accordingly, than why should others not barrel right into you?

And unfortunately, I've never gotten to see the super morons at the grocery store. Is there a specific time when most morons shop?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 11:57 AM

I don't know about morons, but I've found that it gets quite busy from 4-6 when most people are getting off of work.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
Oh lord I have no patience for this crap, if you're not aware of your surroundings and act accordingly, than why should others not barrel right into you?

And unfortunately, I've never gotten to see the super morons at the grocery store. Is there a specific time when most morons shop?
Between 7am and 10pm.

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2006, 12:04 PM

Here in Lower Manhattan I get annoyed by tourists from time to time. I live and work within a few blocks of Ground Zero. There's gaggles of tour busses and people all over the place just standing there. Makes it hard to get into the office sometimes...

I can totally understand that people want to visit Ground Zero...but what's with the morbid fascination of getting your picture taken in front of the hole?

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

kaze0
Jul 18, 2006, 01:10 PM

Living on the Jersey shore in the summer sucks. Imagine strollers and blockers while youre driving and walking and laying down on the beach. ughhhh

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 01:14 PM

I take the subway and there is always someone right by the turnstyle looking for their token, or waiting or something. There's a crush of people and they stop right where everyone is trying to get through - clueless.
Michael

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
I take the subway and there is always someone right by the turnstyle looking for their token, or waiting or something. There's a crush of people and they stop right where everyone is trying to get through - clueless.
this is why i take my token out of my wallet when im going down the stairs to the token input device (only a view more left here in boston STUPID STUPID charlie tickets will end this world) so that i just go right through and not have to stop

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 01:38 PM

the solution is simple, just walk up to people blocking and punch them in the groin, really hard, then walk away laughing like a madman.

re chicago bike path: in summer that path is utter mayhem, the worst though are the touristas who rent the 4 person bikes and let the youngest kid drive it, swerving all over both lanes.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mike one
the solution is simple, just walk up to people blocking and punch them in the groin
not everyone has balls

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
(only a view more left here in boston STUPID STUPID charlie tickets will end this world) so that i just go right through and not have to stop
Don't you think people will stand by the new and improved turnstyles fumbling for their charlie tickets?
( Last edited by mac128k-1984; Jul 18, 2006 at 02:26 PM. )
Michael

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 02:32 PM

not everyone has balls
i bet it would hurt you pretty bad if i punched you in your clitoris.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 02:35 PM

last time i checked i have two fruit and a sausage thank you.

i didnt know if youve had sex ed or not yet, so i was telling you that not everyone has balls

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
Don't you think people will stand by the new and improved turnstyles fumbling for their charlie tickets?
yeah i do, and i have seen it too "how does this work, what do i do?" holding up the line.

improved? pff, ive gotten atleast a half dozen free rides due to non-working gates.
all theyre doing is trying to save money and putting the token people out of jobs but what theyre doing in reality is having to spend even more money for people to go out and fix the dang things /rant

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 02:46 PM

last time i checked i have two fruit and a sausage thank you.

i didnt know if youve had sex ed or not yet, so i was telling you that not everyone has balls
well if you read my original post i said nothing about punching anyone in the balls, i said the groin. last time i checked, having a groin was not a function of what organs you do or don't have between your legs. and if you could tell the difference between an ass and an elbow, you'd know that it hurts pretty damn bad to get punched in the groin if you have a female reproductive system. perhaps as bad as if you're a man. but i bet you didn't know that, did you?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 02:52 PM

did i hit a nerve? i guess i need to include a for now on when im joking or perhaps a
anyways, sorry if you took that as an insult, didnt mean it as one

oh, and just to make myself clearer. when someone says to hit someone in the groin because it hurts, most people usually think of a guy getting hit or kicked in the jewels. if you watch king of the hill, find and watch the episode where bobby takes a female defensive class, and youll get the jiff of what im saying

"help! he's stealing my purse!" *kick*

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
It's worst from around 10am to 2pm, where it's nothing but construction workers and old people with nothing else to do (but are still in the biggest f*cking hurry). It's also bad at around 10:55 pm (we close at 11), with people coming in claiming "We just want to grab one thing!". Twenty minutes later, they come strolling up with a full cart or two... I've actually turned people away who did that before. It's not that freaking complicated: 11 o'clock means ELEVEN ****ING O'CLOCK!

God I hate people sometimes...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 03:09 PM

if you watch king of the hill, find and watch the episode where bobby takes a female defensive class, and youll get the jiff of what im saying

Gist.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 03:48 PM

did i hit a nerve? i guess i need to include a for now on when im joking or perhaps a
anyways, sorry if you took that as an insult, didnt mean it as one

oh, and just to make myself clearer. when someone says to hit someone in the groin because it hurts, most people usually think of a guy getting hit or kicked in the jewels. if you watch king of the hill, find and watch the episode where bobby takes a female defensive class, and youll get the jiff of what im saying

"help! he's stealing my purse!" *kick*
no worries dude. you did't. i was trying to keep it light with the clitorus comment, and also trying to reparte with your remarks. things don't always work out that way though, whoops.

it's all good.

i also just think saying "punch someone in the groin" is funnier for some reason than "punch them in the balls." i'm not sure why. what about punching someone in the colon? would that make for a funny image. maybe one should wear latex gloves, when one punches someone in the colon.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by mike one
What about punching someone in the colon? would that make for a funny image.
That made me smile

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2006, 04:02 PM

How about punching them in the pancreas? *car crash*
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer

Gist.
big whoop, if you understood what i was trying to say than my point was made. stop correcting, or are you part of the hooked on phonics team?

edit:
car crash?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 04:11 PM

big whoop, if you understood what i was trying to say than my point was made. stop correcting, or are you part of the hooked on phonics team?

edit:
car crash?
Your english teacher wouldn't agree with that. I'm just looking out for ya little buddy, no need to get defensive.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 18, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
That made me smile
You set your self up for more closeted jokes with that one on purpose?

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules