Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Recalling 1.1 Million Batteries

Apple Recalling 1.1 Million Batteries
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Aug 24, 2006, 01:41 PM

is anyone affected...I got sent to www.support.apple.com/batteryprogram but there is no page there.

----cnet----

The Mac maker's recall, while not as large as Dell's historic recall last week, affects users of its iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 laptop models sold between October 2003 and August 2006, according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Users are advised to remove the batteries immediately and store them in a safe place.

Additional information can be found by calling 1-800-275-2273 or visiting an Apple Web site set up for the recall. The recall involves 1.1 million batteries sold in the United States and an additional 700,000 sold overseas online, through retail stores and resellers.

Apple said it has gotten nine reports of batteries overheating, including two cases in which users reported minor burns and property damage. However, it says no serious injuries have been reported.

"These lithium ion batteries can overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers," the Consumer Product Safety Commission said in a press release on Thursday.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 24, 2006, 01:43 PM

I had posted it in this thread.

BTW, it's 1.8 million.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 24, 2006, 01:45 PM

oh sorry man...yeah i was followinf cnn when they had 1.1 million on there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo
oh sorry man...yeah i was followinf cnn when they had 1.1 million on there.
Maybe the 1.1 million is in a different curreny ?

-t

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 02:10 PM

Way to go Sony...you rulez the battery market!

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 02:28 PM

1.1 million US, 700,000 outside the US

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 02:36 PM

Great. Another way for my crotch to catch fire.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 02:45 PM

Well, I should be included, but I really don't want to send in my battery. I wonder if you can take it to an Apple Store.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Rumor
Aug 24, 2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX
Great. Another way for my crotch to catch fire.
You have mutiple ways for your crotch to catch fire?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 24, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Well, I should be included, but I really don't want to send in my battery. I wonder if you can take it to an Apple Store.

I think they send you a new one and then you ship the old back.

"Hello, what have we here?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I think they send you a new one and then you ship the old back.
Correct.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Correct.
Do they make you give them a credit card # first?

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 04:26 PM

I like how it is now front page news that Apple is involved now. The Dell story didn't receive this much attention.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by baw
I like how it is now front page news that Apple is involved now. The Dell story didn't receive this much attention.
Yeah I thought the same thing when I went to cnn.com and saw it as their main story, complete with a pic of some chick using a Powerbook. I guess the Iraq war, the Afghanistan war, the Isreali-Hesbolah war, or any real domestic issues are just not as important to CNN as Apple's battery recall.

Stupid American media. I hate em.

agentz
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 05:24 PM

Yup, my iBook battery falls into the range being recalled.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 05:40 PM

My PowerBook battery falls under the recall, so I signed up. 4-6 weeks, I'll get a new battery and ship back the other.

Unfortunately, my lap could explode in flames at any time during that 4-6 week period.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Kadman
Aug 24, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Yeah I thought the same thing when I went to cnn.com and saw it as their main story, complete with a pic of some chick using a Powerbook. I guess the Iraq war, the Afghanistan war, the Isreali-Hesbolah war, or any real domestic issues are just not as important to CNN as Apple's battery recall.

Stupid American media. I hate em.
???

When the Dell story broke I saw the same pattern from the media. News web sites start out with their little banners with no data (because story hasn't been written yet) and later turn into full articles, the news TV sites and radio shows run and re-run the headline every five minutes (it seems like), and interviews with industry analysts and market speculators out the wazoo.

I saw little if any difference in coverage.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kadman
???

When the Dell story broke I saw the same pattern from the media. News web sites start out with their little banners with no data (because story hasn't been written yet) and later turn into full articles, the news TV sites and radio shows run and re-run the headline every five minutes (it seems like), and interviews with industry analysts and market speculators out the wazoo.

I saw little if any difference in coverage.
???

I didn't say anything about Dell's story. And this isn't a banner story. This was CNN's TOP story, the one with the pic above it. I was talking about how our news media chooses to make their top stories ones like this. When this isn't even newsworthy to the vast vast majority of people.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 06:04 PM

AHH!! the iBook im useing has that battery!!! AHH!!! it bursed into flames!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!1!!111!!!!..............Conec tion lost

Edit: I read it wrong. My iBooks ok.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Aug 24, 2006 at 09:16 PM. )
Signature depreciated.

Kadman
Aug 24, 2006, 06:07 PM

The context was the post you quoted that DID talk about the Dell story and your response was that you "thought the same thing". It wasn't clear that you only agreed with part of it. My mistake. Besides, the media cycle often catches the "top story" as what just broke. While all of those other topics are much more important, they have been going on for quite some time (unfortunately) and aren't really the "breaking news".

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 07:05 PM

Cool. I need a couple of new batteries

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 07:13 PM

No, you just fill out the form, and they send you a new battery, and return address label for your old one.

IMHO, Apple is being as reasonable as possible. They could have made it MUCH more harder. It only took about 5 minutes to enter all the information (which was basically the battery serial and computer serial)... along with your address info.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 07:46 PM

my ibook G4 battery is...

model A1061 serial #3K5155DCRJQC

Am I safe?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 07:53 PM

i'm actually pretty happy with this - I'll get a new battery with no charge cycles to replace one with hundreds...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 09:10 PM

Don't knock a free battery!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tuamigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 11:46 PM

wait. only nine batteries have caused problems? Maybe I should keep my faulty battery? Doesn't seem like a really bad gamble. I bought this recalled battery a few months ago after my original powerbook battery died. Hmm... what to do once i get my new battery???

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 12:21 AM

You get a fresh new free battery and it's up to you what you do with your old battery. Although you should probably send it back to Apple.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by tuamigo
wait. only nine batteries have caused problems? Maybe I should keep my faulty battery? Doesn't seem like a really bad gamble. I bought this recalled battery a few months ago after my original powerbook battery died. Hmm... what to do once i get my new battery???
Crotch on fire vs free battery.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

fhoubi
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 03:24 AM

Yes.
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
You get a fresh new free battery and it's up to you what you do with your old battery. Although you should probably send it back to Apple.
Hilarious. Apple will charge your creditcard as a regular purchase if you a) do not send your battery back (within a given time) or b) the returned battery does not apply for the recall (wrong serialno).

Makes sense. Trust me, I sent mine back before.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 03:52 AM

Deleted by Ulrich Kinbote

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn
my ibook G4 battery is...

model A1061 serial #3K5155DCRJQC

Am I safe?
No. Your first 5 digits fall within the first noted range 3K428~3K611.

Edit: This is so annoying. F**k Sony. My battery also falls within the range. And I bought my computer in Korea and am still in Korea. I hope they know about the battery exchange program.

When does the program run out?

Also, without the battery, what happens if you have to unplug your computer? Even when it's shut down or asleep, presumably there is some power drain. Does it have an auxillary battery inside, or is there a risk of losing data. Right now, there's a violent electrical storm outside and usually I'd unplug my computer... but without the battery I'm not sure what'll happen.
( Last edited by Ulrich Kinbote; Aug 25, 2006 at 04:31 AM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 07:57 AM

Did some of you really have to enter your credit card information?

I didn't have to enter anything. It was painless and took about 5 minutes. They indicated that they were sending a new battery, and that all I would need to do would be remove the battery from the box and place my old battery in and return to Apple (on Apple's dime).

fhoubi
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 08:28 AM

Wauw, then I take that back. May/june last year they did over here. Funny that the replacement battery I got starts with 6C518, so I just missed the boat this time . But I am only on my 4th one, after the first one died, second swoll and cracked, third got recalled last year... still counting...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
Wauw, then I take that back. May/june last year they did over here. Funny that the replacement battery I got starts with 6C518, so I just missed the boat this time . But I am only on my 4th one, after the first one died, second swoll and cracked, third got recalled last year... still counting...
I'll give a full report on how my recall goes. So far, so good. I can only fault Apple for selecting Sony for their batteries. If they make this recall as smooth as it's been so far, I'm not going to be upset.

I don't expect perfection, but I do expect them to fix their mistakes.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
No. Your first 5 digits fall within the first noted range 3K428~3K611.

Edit: This is so annoying. F**k Sony. My battery also falls within the range. And I bought my computer in Korea and am still in Korea. I hope they know about the battery exchange program.

When does the program run out?

Also, without the battery, what happens if you have to unplug your computer? Even when it's shut down or asleep, presumably there is some power drain. Does it have an auxillary battery inside, or is there a risk of losing data. Right now, there's a violent electrical storm outside and usually I'd unplug my computer... but without the battery I'm not sure what'll happen.
I'm sure there is some Korean arrangement set up. Go to their website.

Regarding the battery. There is an internal battery that maintains things like the clock, etc. Even when it fails, you can unplug your computer without the battery (as long as you shut down) and shouldn't experience any loss of date.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 10:22 AM

Hey all my friends who have a computer that falls under the recall are THRILLED as their current batteries don't hold a charge that well anymore so now they get a brand new one.

tuamigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 07:08 PM

Well i for one did not have to enter any credit card info. So how will apple charge me if i don't return the battery? I must admit it gets hot, but it only has like 40 charge cycles on it. It was a replacement battery for the original one that came with my powerbook.

I do tend to leave my powerbook on all the time, so I guess it could end up being a problem if my desk bursts into flames...

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2006, 07:49 PM

Hey all my friends who have a computer that falls under the recall are THRILLED as their current batteries don't hold a charge that well anymore so now they get a brand new one.
This is exactly how I feel.

I filled out the form today, and Apple sent me an email stating that I will receive the new battery within 4-6 weeks.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2006, 09:08 PM

As Landos Mustache points out, this is not all bad. These batteries are being recalled IN CASE they have a problem. My wife's iBook is about 30 months old, and she hasn't been really careful to "exercise" her battery regularly, so it's probably not holding the charge it did when new. Since it's also subject to the recall-and the new one is ordered!-her iBook is now going to be well equipped for another several years worth of use.

The program shows that Apple is taking the risk seriously, being proactive (and there actually HAVE been far more Dell incidents than Apple incidents-far more than the simple difference in proportion of the market each company has) AND this makes those of us who are Apple fans even more likely to stay loyal customers. Win, win, win!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 09:21 PM

Anyone know if these faulty batteries can cause hardware failure? Both my brother's and my battery are in the recall. Unfortunately his warranty ran out on his laptop, but shortly after he got a replacement battery, one of the RAM slots failed, the HDD failed, and the CD-ROM failed, all within a month of each other. Dell's website says that the batteries can cause surges, which initiate the fires. Could this be the reason why all those components failed? Because of the faulty battery?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2006, 09:31 AM

The faulty batteries can overheat, get really, REALLY hot, and even burn. They cannot do anything else-the laptop's power system prevents the power coming in from being too off-the-wall. The surges Dell is talking about are INTERNAL to the batteries.

Of course your brother could CALL the company and tell 'em "all these things failed, and it's an odd coincidence that they did that when the battery was bad..." It couldn't hurt to ask.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
shortly after he got a replacement battery, one of the RAM slots failed, the HDD failed, and the CD-ROM failed, all within a month of each other.
That's not failure.

It's Dells outdated-hardware-notification feature that tells you that you need a new Dell.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules