Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No Sound with 17" Powerbook

No Sound with 17" Powerbook
susanandmarkw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 02:25 PM

I've got a 2004-era Mac 17" Powerbook (aluminum) running 10.4.7, with all security updates and 2 GB of RAM and more than 20 GB of available hard drive space.

Recently, after using my headphones, the internal (built-in) speakers of my Powerbook stopped working. I can still hear all sounds with headphones, or through external speakers, but there’s no sound through the regular speakers when no device is plugged in. There’s also a red LED (light) shining out of my headphone jack, signaling (I’m pretty sure) that the digital audio out feature is somehow “stuck on,” which bypasses the internal speakers. The sound pref pane has only one option in “output” which is “digital out” (“port built-in audio”).

I’ve run Disk Utility, Onyx, booted into single user mode and forced a fcsk of the drive. Nothing works. Nothing has changed about my set-up, or system, from when the speakers were working normally. (I don’t have any add-ons or modifications working on my system, other than Transparent Dock.)

This has been going on for weeks and it’s driving me crazy! I’m not the only one with this problem, either. See this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...p/#post3111371.

Help!

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 03:41 PM

Call Apple or take it into a store, the main board needs to be replaced.

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 02:30 PM

What are they charging for a motherboard replacement now a days? $800? Hardly worthwhile for an older computer . . . .

For the record, I have an older 17" that has been without sound for the last year and a half. I just live with it. Time for a new MBP when they release the next revision.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

bluhnu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 11:01 PM

exactly the same problem on my 15" macbook pro... tech support claimed to have never even heard of this problem, and were quite miffed when I informed them that several complaints had been registered on forums... machine, luckily still under warranty, will be sent in shortly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules