Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ext. FW Drive Booting in X

Ext. FW Drive Booting in X
awcopus
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 02:28 AM

I would be very appreciative if somebody would confirm based on their real-world experience that it is possible to boot up a PowerMac off of an external Firewire drive running OS X 10.1.1.

Using what drive by whom?

I am waiting (24 hours) to hear from La Cie about this. They're one of the few manufacturers listing compatibility with X, but they have yet to indicate whether their drives can be used for booting in X. Also waiting to hear from QPS.

Intuitively, I suspect that Apple's Firewire support would be second to none, and I've booted up machines from external Firewire drives running OS 9. X, of course, changes everything.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

scarab
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2001, 02:32 AM

I can boot OS 10.1.x from my 25 gig VST FireWire drive.

Sam I Am
Dec 11, 2001, 05:13 AM

I boot OS 10.1.1 off of an external firewire LaCie HD... It works great... The only thing i can complain about is that the drive generates more noise than my iMac.

naderby
Dec 11, 2001, 07:32 AM

I have 3 G4's, Yikes! 400, Dual 450 and a DigitalAudio466.

I can boot any system (9/X) from my PocketDrive on the first 2, but not on the DigitalAudio 466. I believe that this machine is suffering from FirmWare problems I have been having and will not recognise any boot system other than the internal disk and CD (sometimes!).

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the responses!

I am looking for a quiet Firewire drive that boots OS X 10.1.1, and I think I may have found the answer.

According to MacWorld, the 20GB QPS Que M2 Quadslim is bootable in X, and that leads me to believe that its fanless 60 GB older brother probably is, too.

Think I'll go that way, unless others here have recommendations for other manufacturers or against QPS? I know it uses a Toshiba mechanism that isn't as quick as IBM's.

Ideally, I would buy a fanless IBM external FW drive that permits X booting. Ideas?

Thanks!
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

Forum Links
Forum Rules