Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > reaching out for help with system font customization

reaching out for help with system font customization
Burk3
Aug 22, 2007, 09:25 PM

Okay. I have this vision for how I want my fonts to be. I basically want the system font to be Helvetica Neue Light for most stuff, but for window titlebar text, I want ITC woodlands. Unfortunately, I see no way of doing this. I have discovered two options in my quest:

1) Silk - can't change just the window title fonts, every system font occurrence has to be changed to one font
2)tinkertool - works for the titlebar font, and just about everything else, but doesn't change menus or finder fonts.

I've also tried using both, using silk to replace lucida grande with helvetica neue, to no avail with the menus and finder. I'm about to give up, and probably write an email to unsanity, but I thought I would ask everybody here if they knew a way I could do this first. Any help would be appreciated.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2007, 06:10 AM

you need to use TinkerTool and Silk to make the modifications complete. It will take some tinkering to make it happen. Also, may I recommend using an OTF, the glyphs are necessary for the menus.

something like this
( Last edited by eyevaan; Aug 29, 2007 at 06:38 AM. )

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Mar 4, 2008, 12:33 AM

I am not quite sure if this is compatible with Leopard. But do I need the "Handlemod" font in order to successfully change the Finder's and menu's font? I've gotten a bunch of my system's fonts changed via Tinkertool and Silk. I am just working on the Finder. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere's else, I did not see. Thanks in advanced!

Forum Links
Forum Rules