Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Binary Usenet Reader with Sequential downloading

Binary Usenet Reader with Sequential downloading
carp3n0ct3m
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2007, 11:05 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to find a Binary Usenet Reader that supports sequential downloading of files and utilizes all available connections to do so. I'm currently using Unison, but cannot stand the fact that it cannot utilize all of my available connections unless I am downloading multiple files. This is fine and all if I'm downloading a collection files, but when I attempt to download any number of files less than my maximum number of connections, I end up with a slow download because each of my connections has a cap limiting the speed of each connection.

I would prefer something that is free, but if that's not possible, I would be willing to pay for a decent Binary Usenet Reader.

Thank you in advance for your input,

-Justin

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 11:20 PM

I think the server limits the amount of simultaneous connections you can have open. My ISP only allows one, but my friend has his own Giganews account that allows 4 or 5 with the exact same client.

Running a news server is a real bandwidth hog, and expensive because of this.

carp3n0ct3m  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think the server limits the amount of simultaneous connections you can have open. My ISP only allows one, but my friend has his own Giganews account that allows 4 or 5 with the exact same client.

Running a news server is a real bandwidth hog, and expensive because of this.
My news server allows me to have 5 simultaneous connections open, but each connection has it's own bandwidth cap limiting the download speed of each connection. Because of this, I cannot utilize the maximum download speed of my connection unless I have all 5 connections open.

For instance, each of my connections is capped at 50KB/s, meaning that if I only have one file to download, that file is downloaded at 50KB/s in Unison. Now if I'm downloading multiple files I'm OK as each connection is downloading at 50KB/s simultaneously resulting in ~250KB/s download.

-Justin
( Last edited by carp3n0ct3m; Dec 12, 2007 at 12:53 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2007, 01:11 AM

I'm at the end of my rope in being able to help, sorry! I don't use Unison...

Hellanzb is a great binary file downloader. I work on a laptop, so I appreciate being able to SSH into another machine, start "screen", start a download, and then detach this process.

carp3n0ct3m  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm at the end of my rope in being able to help, sorry! I don't use Unison...

Hellanzb is a great binary file downloader. I work on a laptop, so I appreciate being able to SSH into another machine, start "screen", start a download, and then detach this process.
I don't want to sound stupid because I'm sure you would have recommended it, but does Hellanzb support sequential downloading of files?

-Justin

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2007, 07:50 AM

You should request this feature from Panic. They're pretty good about adding requested features to their products.

Forum Links
Forum Rules