Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Even paid McCain call center workers are walking out

Even paid McCain call center workers are walking out
zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 09:30 PM

Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest Rather Than Read McCain Script Attacking Obama

Some three dozen workers at a telemarketing call center in Indiana walked off the job rather than read an incendiary McCain campaign script attacking Barack Obama, according to two workers at the center and one of their parents.

<snip>

she had been asked to read a script attacking Obama for being "dangerously weak on crime," "coddling criminals," and for voting against "protecting children from danger."

Williams' daughter told her that up to 40 of her co-workers had refused to read the script, and had left the call center after supervisors told them that they would have to either read the call or leave, Williams says. The call center is called Americall, and it's located in Hobart, IN.

<snip>

"We were asked to read something saying [Obama and Democrats] were against protecting children from danger," this worker said. "I wouldn't do it. A lot of people left. They thought it was disgusting."

This worker, too, confirmed sacrificing pay to walk out, saying her supervisor told her: "If you don't wanna phone it you can just go home for the day."
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpoi...er_workers.php

Haha too funny, can't even keep paid workers! The Obama campaign has been so amazing on the local level, I am very proud to be a part of it. I would walk out too if I was EVER asked to do something sleazy and lying. We all are proud of McCain and respect his service and sacrifice, we just don't think he would be the best leader.

Now Palin on the other hand, most of us can't stand her and think she is down right dangerous. :-p

Sorry to post-and-run but I gotta watch Entourage before I leave for NIN tomorrow in O-Town!!!

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2008, 06:50 AM

This pretty much helps confirm what a researcher found when he was trying to determine if hiring at polling institutions and other political calling firms might have a negative effect on the reliability of those firms and possible bias (intentional or unintentional) they end up producing:

The Left's Big Blunder

Essentially, these companies hire college students and the under-employed for these temporary jobs. The very same demographic that is likely to vote Democrat and given that the jobs won't last, aren't as likely to worry about how their performance effects their future with the company.

As the article you posted shows, these people are so "in the tank" for Obama, it's likely that no work they'd do would be credible for a Republican or non-partisan effort. All this story shows is what a lot of people already knew - these companies hire people who are likely to be Democrat partisans, and they can't be trusted to do the work they were hired to do properly.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2008, 07:07 AM

I like that essay. Restated:

"The left's delusions about Obama being ahead will probably be shown, on Election Day, to correspond to reality, but only because people are stupid."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2008, 09:22 AM

It's hard to find good help these days.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
This pretty much helps confirm what a researcher found when he was trying to determine if hiring at polling institutions and other political calling firms might have a negative effect on the reliability of those firms and possible bias (intentional or unintentional) they end up producing:

The Left's Big Blunder

Essentially, these companies hire college students and the under-employed for these temporary jobs. The very same demographic that is likely to vote Democrat and given that the jobs won't last, aren't as likely to worry about how their performance effects their future with the company.

As the article you posted shows, these people are so "in the tank" for Obama, it's likely that no work they'd do would be credible for a Republican or non-partisan effort. All this story shows is what a lot of people already knew - these companies hire people who are likely to be Democrat partisans, and they can't be trusted to do the work they were hired to do properly.

Nice Spin!

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Nice Spin!
Which part do you disagree with, specifically?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Which part do you disagree with, specifically?
Let's see:

and

As the article you posted shows, these people are so "in the tank" for Obama, it's likely that no work they'd do would be credible for a Republican or non-partisan effort.
Perhaps these people recognized that what they were being asked to say was complete and utter bullsh!t and they knew it crossed the line. There is no evidence that these same people had any problems with anything they were previously asked to say.

However, your opinion that these companies hire college students and the under-employed who are "in the tank for Obama" for these temporary jobs is noted.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
However, your opinion that these companies hire college students and the under-employed who are "in the tank for Obama" for these temporary jobs is noted.
They do in fact hire college students. They also hire non-students, highschool kids, and it is essentially one step up from working the drive-thru @ Burger King. I'm not saying this is good or bad so much as it is simply so. I will say it can be quite profitable if you're good. The fact of the matter (and missing from yet another example of the sloppiest journalism you'll find anywhere) is that it is highly likely these employees knew what they were going to be doing before hand. Telemarketing companies that succeed will generally not just place people on calls for candidates they don't support. This is no different than asking a pastor to call for Playboy magazine. It can be a liability in a political campaign. In my early twenties, I was the corporate trainer of a firm locally and in fact recruited for several years before leaving the industry entirely. I'm very familiar with the business and this is absolutely the demographic for Obama. You can say there are many demographics for Obama, but this is certainly the most vocal. I was a young, freshly-registered Republican when I was asked to call on behalf of a Democrat's campaign. I didn't necessarily enjoy it, but my job was to call their programs and this was one of them.

ebuddy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 01:24 PM

Wow, big news.

Obama supporters refuse to work for McCain.

Whodathunkit.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules