Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Yes It's Girly, But I Love it So

Yes It's Girly, But I Love it So
LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2009, 01:45 PM

Just got a 13" MacBook and it's already become a love object. Coming from a stolen MacBook Pro I bought over three years ago, I just can't believe the quality of the display, among other things. But it's mostly the display.

Anyway, my wife says it's girly because of the round corners and compactness, but I know she's just jealous because she has one of those older, square-cornered MacBooks. Now she says she's going to get a MB Pro 15" purchased with some sort of errant tax refund, and I know she's doing it to annoy me. She's got this gotcha thing going, but she'll never dissuade me. I think I love it more than my GPS, and that's saying something.
( Last edited by LaGow; Nov 25, 2009 at 01:51 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2009, 02:16 PM

When I got my iBook G3 600, beautiful women came out of the woodwork to ask me about it. I'd be sitting in a cafe, and a cute 2nd-year university student would ask me about it. I'd be in the airport lounge, and some well-dressed 30-something businesswoman would ask me about it. I'd be at a conference, and during the break the woman two rows over would saunter over to ask me about it.

It was not my rugged good looks unfortunately, because as I soon I replaced it with a TiBook the following year, all of that stopped.

Mind you, I eventually replaced the TiBook with a iBook G4 and I still didn't get those people asking about it anymore. I guess in the iBook G3 500 and iBook G3 600 era, it was quite uniquely girly, in a sea of bland grey/black behemoths.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2009, 10:06 PM

I would have people ask me about my 12in Powerbook back in college. I'd pull it out of my backpack and everyone would be surprised by how small it was.

Oddly I fit my 15in Macbook Pro in the exact same backpack with no problems... yet I miss college guys coming up to me in the Library where I worked, asking me about computer stuff. Or to check out books.

Mostly about checking out books.

Tomacorno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2009, 02:33 PM

I never could satisfactorily explain the girls that followed me home from a coffee shop near UW to my wife. I had been surfing with my MBPu for a couple hours and did not notice the commotion at first.

Of course, I was wearing my Three Wolves Moon shirt also so I don't know what percentage of women were following the shirt and what percentage were following the MBPu.

The percentage that was actually following me was already at home as I made sure to snap that one up.
In your face Milwaukee! - Homer Simpson

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 7, 2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by LaGow View Post
Anyway, my wife says it's girly because of the round corners and compactness, but I know she's just jealous because she has one of those older, square-cornered MacBooks. Now she says she's going to get a MB Pro 15" purchased with some sort of errant tax refund, and I know she's doing it to annoy me. She's got this gotcha thing going, but she'll never dissuade me. I think I love it more than my GPS, and that's saying something.
I guess your wife likes annoying you. I always thought it funny when people use the term compactness to describe girly when talking about electronics. In electronics a lot of devices are getting smaller and smaller every year so almost every electronic device would be considered girly if compactness was the main description of girly. Does your wife also think flat screen TVs girly also? The old CRT TVs were huge in comparison.

If your wife is still teasing you about your 13" then just tell her that you really bought it to attract all the ladies. That should be Apple's new slogan for the 13"...it attracts women better than cute puppies. That makes it the perfect man's computer.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2009, 12:08 AM

my first mac was a powerbook 240c...10" color screen, small, built like a tank. i took it to the local coffeebar regularly, and...met more women then i have before or since. actually, EVERYONE came over to check it out ("that's a mac?", "does this do everything a computer does?").

got me a date once...

my current 13" is my fave laptop ever (i've had about 6 mac laptops), but not so unique anymore...ah, well...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2009, 05:43 PM

I don't think the new MacBook is girly, but the old clamshell iBooks were really girly.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Dec 13, 2009, 03:38 AM

Girly? That's for people who have no self-awareness of their gender.

WTF cares about what a computer looks like?

If it works, then all's good.

Grow up out of elementary school.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules