Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Deathly Slow Iphone 3G fix ?

Deathly Slow Iphone 3G fix ? (Page 2)
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2010, 01:49 AM

Just downgraded to 3.1.3 on my iPhone 3G.

Whoa, my phone works!

I can now play games like angry birds, use my web browser, and type on the virtual keyboard.

Only problem now is that I have so many apps, that it's taken up 10 screens.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2010, 03:32 AM

4.1 is out, has anyone updated their 3G?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
4.1 is out, has anyone updated their 3G?
4.1 is only slightly faster for me. Games still lags. Interaction still lags. Downgraded to 3.1.3 now and everything works much better than 4.0.2 and 4.1.

Read this:

Caring for the Elderly: iOS 4.1 Speed Boost on the iPhone 3G - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2010, 11:33 PM

4.1 seems to have fixed my iPhone 3G performance. I no longer have fits of murderous rage when trying to use my iPhone.
-- Jason

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2010, 10:20 AM

I'm waiting on the jailbreak/unlock. I haven't even updated to iTunes 10 yet, I'm in no hurry.

dennett
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2010, 10:35 PM

4.1 seems to have fixed both my wife's and my 3Gs, we're again happy with our phones.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 09:30 PM

Can anyone here comment on the speed of 4.1 relative to 3.1.x on the iPhone 3G. I've seen some reviews, including the one posted above, that show 4.1 being noticeably better then 4.0.x but I'm still wondering if it's worth bothering with compared to version 3.

ooninay
Sep 18, 2010, 12:37 AM

I find 4.1 to be somewhat slower than 3.1.x on my 3G but not so much that my heart sinks every time I need to use my phone for something, which 4.0 made me feel!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2010, 09:23 AM

I find 3.1.3 to be right at my threshold for acceptable slowness. if 4.1 is any slower, it would be unusable for me.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2010, 11:03 AM

Anyone put 4.2 on their 3G? How 'snappy' is it?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2010, 01:08 PM

iOS 4.2 on the 3G is way, way, way better than 4.0. But it's still slower than 3.1.3, just not absolutely painfully slow like it used to be.

But of course, it's much, much nicer on the iPhone 4. I put 4.2 on the 3G a couple of weeks ago, but have since upgraded to the iPhone 4 cuz I managed to get a sweet contract with iPhone 4 from my carrier.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2010, 04:28 PM

Installing on my 3g right now.

iPhone 4 should be here tomorrow, assuming the FedEx trucks are on the roads. We're having one HELL of an ice storm.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Installing on my 3g right now.

iPhone 4 should be here tomorrow, assuming the FedEx trucks are on the roads. We're having one HELL of an ice storm.
You are going to be so thrill with the iPhone 4.

I went from the 3G to the iPhone 4. Wow. What a difference. The speed, multitasking, camera, facetime, improve data speed, and the design.

Only problem is that I get more drop calls with the iPhone 4 and the proximity sensor not working so well.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2010, 06:07 PM

4.2 on a 3G here and I can't notice any difference to 4.1 (at all, in fact - other than the extra fonts in the Notes app, I am hard pressed to see a single one of the new features of 4.2 relative to 4.1 as being available to the 3G ... even the new text tones and the Find on page feature in Safari is absent ffs!). Thoroughly underwhelming update for legacy iPhone owners - only worth updating to due to the bug fixes in WebKit (for security reasons).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2010, 06:19 PM

I'm hesitant to put 4.2 on my wife's jailbroken iPhone 3G.

3.1.3 works great, just doesn't have all the features.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm hesitant to put 4.2 on my wife's jailbroken iPhone 3G.

3.1.3 works great, just doesn't have all the features.

-t
Same here. The only thing I'd like (and, all the 4.x gives 3G users) is folders.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2010, 11:15 PM

Um, anyone else getting this message periodically popping up on their 3G after going to 4.2? I don't have the iPhone plugged into anything!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by giggs11 View Post
Um, anyone else getting this message periodically popping up on their 3G after going to 4.2? I don't have the iPhone plugged into anything!

hmmm ... if the phone isn't plugged into anything, perhaps that's referring to 4.2?

giggs11
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
hmmm ... if the phone isn't plugged into anything, perhaps that's referring to 4.2?
Boy I hope not...

Gonna leave the phone turned off overnight and see what happens.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2010, 01:47 AM

Well after downgrading to 3.1.3 from the 4.0 due to the almost complete unuseability of my 3G iPhone, I decided to bite and go for 4.2. So far...ugh. It feels nearly as slow as 4.0 to me. I'm going to see if it speeds up once it finishes syncing all my mail but it's not looking good so far; probably back to 3.1.3 for me.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Well after downgrading to 3.1.3 from the 4.0 due to the almost complete unuseability of my 3G iPhone, I decided to bite and go for 4.2. So far...ugh. It feels nearly as slow as 4.0 to me. I'm going to see if it speeds up once it finishes syncing all my mail but it's not looking good so far; probably back to 3.1.3 for me.
Well, what a turnaround. I let my phone sit overnight to finish syncing and threading both of my email accounts and by the time the morning came around things had improved vastly. I'm VERY happy to say that 4.2 is now as close to excellent performance-wise as I could have hoped for on hardware that is now two generations old. In fact many functions, like web page rendering in Safari and the launch times of several apps including the sluggish App Store, are noticeably quicker under 4.2 then they were with 3.1.3.

Overall, the UI is slightly less responsive then 3.1.3 but with the extra features and improvements in other areas, I do recommend (to my surprise) 4.2 as a no-brainer for anyone with a 3G iPhone that hasn't upgraded yet.

Cheers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2010, 12:43 AM

Aargh, tempting.

I got a nice jail broken 3G running on T-Mobile.
Don't know if I really want touch it, since really nothing's wrong with it.

-t

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Well, what a turnaround. I let my phone sit overnight to finish syncing and threading both of my email accounts and by the time the morning came around things had improved vastly. I'm VERY happy to say that 4.2 is now as close to excellent performance-wise as I could have hoped for on hardware that is now two generations old. In fact many functions, like web page rendering in Safari and the launch times of several apps including the sluggish App Store, are noticeably quicker under 4.2 then they were with 3.1.3.

Overall, the UI is slightly less responsive then 3.1.3 but with the extra features and improvements in other areas, I do recommend (to my surprise) 4.2 as a no-brainer for anyone with a 3G iPhone that hasn't upgraded yet.

Cheers.
My experience after a full 2 weeks of using 4.2 is that it is as awful as 4.0 was and has brought back all the stability of iOS 2.0 to my iPhone. The majority of my apps are often failing to launch, and stalling or crashing if they do and the overall performance is ranging from the merely OK to the downright sluggish to the out and out appallingly bad. Home button clicks often only register after a pause of 3 to 5 seconds plus or don't register at all. I am having to reboot my phone more often than I did with iOS 2.0 just to get it working and moderately responsive for a few hours. In fact, that mock video of the iPhone ads that appeared on YouTube showing how bad iOS 4.0 was is exactly how my phone is now "working".

I am not at all pleased and, I hate to say it, I strongly recommend the opposite of gradient - this is yet another shit, shit, shit version of iOS for the 3G and I would steer well clear of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2010, 05:31 PM

Considering that somebody else up there had the *completely* opposite experience, I'd probably qualify that assessment.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2010, 06:02 PM

My brother installed iOS 4.2 on his 3G and found stability problems after he jailbroke the iPhone. He flashed the phone to its original state and it worked fine.

Are the people having stability issues also have a jailbroken iPhone?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 6, 2010, 06:17 PM

When I jailbroke my 3GS, all manner of things started crashing and not responding correctly.
Restoring back to standard firmware resolved all of that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2010, 06:28 PM

No problem with jailbreaking on a 3GS here, FWIW. (I'm still on 4.1, however.)
( Last edited by Big Mac; Dec 7, 2010 at 08:13 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
My experience after a full 2 weeks of using 4.2 is that it is as awful as 4.0 was and has brought back all the stability of iOS 2.0 to my iPhone. The majority of my apps are often failing to launch, and stalling or crashing if they do and the overall performance is ranging from the merely OK to the downright sluggish to the out and out appallingly bad. Home button clicks often only register after a pause of 3 to 5 seconds plus or don't register at all. I am having to reboot my phone more often than I did with iOS 2.0 just to get it working and moderately responsive for a few hours. In fact, that mock video of the iPhone ads that appeared on YouTube showing how bad iOS 4.0 was is exactly how my phone is now "working".

I am not at all pleased and, I hate to say it, I strongly recommend the opposite of gradient - this is yet another shit, shit, shit version of iOS for the 3G and I would steer well clear of it.

I'm really not sure what to make of your experience. I haven't rebooted my phone once since the day I upgraded to 4.2 and haven't lost even a little bit of speed or stability. 4.2 is still rock solid for me - I'm very pleased with it.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by giggs11 View Post

Weird. I just got that too. I have an iPhone 4. Wasn't plugged into anything.

WTH?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2010, 11:05 PM

I got that when I had a 3rd party cable plugged in. Worked fine with the previous OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules