Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Excel X and Excel XP

Excel X and Excel XP
scarab
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2001, 07:33 PM

Hi guys

Please help me with this:
When I create a sheet with dates in Excel v.x, send it to my PC through SMB, copy and paste it to another sheet created in Excel XP, the dates become 1997 instead of 2001 as I had previously entered. What's going on? Now my sister is pissing me off about Mac's being incompatible with PCs . Thanks!

scarab  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2001, 03:49 AM

Please help

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2001, 04:27 AM

The base date in excel tables is different on a PC and on a MAC... don't remember why

What you have to do is make a save as in any PC version (the newest possible)
That should work

Hit your sister for me

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2001, 03:43 PM

Yeah the MacBU has done a great job with keeping formats the same with all versions of the PC office...blame M$ for their fault on not on updating their excel engine.

scarab  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2001, 11:51 PM

Thanks for all your replies!

What's got Billy so spooked?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2002, 12:26 PM

You can fix this problem easily. The files ARE compatable between PC and Mac, the difference is the starting date on your machines. Remember the date is stored as the number of days after a specific date. For some reason, in Excel you can choose the beginning date to be either 1900 or 1904. Your excel is set to use 1904 as the starting date and your sister has it set to 1900. When you exchange files the number is the same, but because the starting point is differnt, you will get different results!

To change, go to prefrences in Excel, click on calculation, then check off 1904 date system. Only problem is that this will change all the dates of all files previously created under the old system! However, any file you create now will work with your sisters machine.

hope this helps.

scarab  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2002, 03:38 AM

Thank you very much! That solve the problem! Is there a reason why M$ put such a disparity in the two versions? What's the 1904-system in the first place? Once again, thank you soo much!

[edit: does anyone know if the PC-versions are set to use 1904 or non-1904 date systems by default? thanks!]

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: scarab ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules